pearsjes

Sydive in Reverse

OK - here's another strange one. I recently had the opportunity to witness what's known as a "Fulton Extraction", presumably named after the guy who invented it. Typically it's a technique used to clandestinely snatch someone out of a foreign country and deliver them somewhere for interrogation, protection, etc.
You put a guy in a padded suit attached to a 1000-ft cable with a helium balloon on the end and let the ballon go. A cargo aircraft (C-17 in this case, although C-130 works too) with a special nose attachment that sticks out to the left and right of the aircraft flies by at 500 ft AGL, lines up with the ballon (being sure to fly under it), and hooks the wire.
Then the fun begins as the guy is snatched off the ground at 120 knots (gotta have strong neck muscles and good sphincter control) and gradually pulled up on to the ramp and into the aircraft by a motorized winch (similar to what's known as a Canadian Retrieval System on the C-130 - used for retrieving towed static line jumpers).
Pretty cool. Can be done at night. Also, the guy doesn't have to be conscious, actually may work better if he isn't - more relaxed. The coolest part may be the sound the guy makes as he is snatched off the ground, sounds like someone being hit by a car, sounds like "UUUHHH!!".
You can actually see this performed (for real) in a movie - "The Green Beret's" with John Wayne. It ocurred to me that this is actually a reverse skydive.

Hey, that was in a James Bond also, I think it was either Dr. No or MoonRaker, I can't remember. Also, I read about it being tested (supposedly) back in the day on Richard Marchinko of SEAL team2/6/RedCell fame. Who knows if he actually did it or not with that guy.
Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.-General George Patton-

Marchinko wrote in his book that he was body surfing in the wind behind the C-130 that picked him up as they were trying to reel him in. Supposedly, once you're picked up, you're supposed to tuck into a ball so it's easier for the crew to reel you in. Who knows, I wouldn't mind trying it, as long as I had a rig on and they could take me up a few grand and let go...Could you imagine that in a bird suit, I wonder if you could gain lift off of that and do a sort of wingsuit body surf...or with a skyboard, sort of like wake boarding, right? Damn, that'd be fun.
Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.-General George Patton-

From what I know they only use that in extreme cases. It's very likely to cause some nice injuries to your back, neck, and internal organs due to the G forces involved. I know they killed at least one of the Squeels in the testing before they figured out how big the cable needed to be.......It's an MC-130 Talon II that they pick you up with. They are pretty easy to recognize with the big V shaped contraption on the nose that catches the cable.
"I got some beers....Let's Drink em!!!"
Clay

Dont ever doubt Marcinko because its true? Or dont ever doubt Marcinko cuz he'll beat ur ass if you do??
I had to stop reading his books after about the 4th one cuz the poo poo was getting a tad too deep for me to wade through. Really liked the first (autobiographical) one.
CJ

SniperCJ,
Don't doubt him, not because he'll kick butt or because it may or may not be true, but because he is just crazy enough to do what he says he's done...and as doubious as some of the things he says he's done, they just might be true...sorta' sounds like someone else that used to post here, lol...
FFF

PhreeZone,
I can't speak for Marchinko...I do, however, know that he is/was crazy as a loon...Of course, I have had very little contact with him, even back then, but I can truthfully say he was one crazy nut case...and I pretty much stayed away from him and his crowd...(out of fear, mostly...lol.)
FFF

My favorite quote from that article..LOL
He next used a pig, as pigs have nervous systems close to humans. Lifted off the ground, the pig began to spin as it flew through the air at 125 mph. It arrived on board undamaged but in a disoriented state. Once it recovered, it attacked the crew.
Malachi