christopherm

first cutaway of season

No, it wasn't me who cut away but it's kind of a funny story. Our DZ was open for the second time in 2002 this past weekend and I was down there packing. I was actually able to get 5 jumps in among all that packing, a record for me in one weekend. Anyway, I had finished the last of the pack jobs and went outside to watch the load come down. When I looked up, I saw a white canopy. Just about then was when everybody else started to figure out there had been a cutaway. The white reserves are student gear and as instructors made sure the student got down fine, another packer and I went to track down the main. As I walked, I frantically went through my packs of the day trying to figure to think of anything I could have missed that might have caused the mal. All my wories were dashed however, when the DZ owner came to help untangle the main from a thorn bush. He said that the first AFF jump student had cutaway because the slider wasn't all the way up the lines. Yup you heard me right. Oh well, to say the least he was quite embarrassed, and I was quite relieved that it was not my fault. Any other funny cutaway stories?
-So how hard is the ground?!

fallinWoman has a point. Thanks for bringing it up. I don't know his name but maybe some of you guys may recall. He apparently has been on a bunch of day time shows like Good Morning America and stuff, because he is offering like $10,000 to the person who introduces him to his wife. Hey mnischalke, I guess that's how I could pay for my rig :) It's either that or get on to the game show The Chair.
-So how hard is the ground?!

Among his favorite things, he lists, "Exploring intimacies with my lover". Is he talking devices here? And he watches Oprah with her. Uh huh. For the first six months, I'm betting.
Since I prefer, RW, I graciously offer this one up to the free flyers. I'm sorry. I guess I mean the free sky jumpers. Go ahead and introduce him to the dark side. He's all yours.
Is it hot in here, or am I crazy? - Charles Manson
flyhi
B|

I guess that happens alot!!! last year at the cleveland parachute center my home drop zone we were watching a load of static line jumps.. first one out opens fine second one out opens fine and makes a couple of turnes then shocked every one when he cut a way.... when he landed unharmed we asked why did you cut a way that good parachute???? he responded that the slider would not go up.....I here that happens alot with students due to sensory overload when they are just starting out...

Too funny! I've never seen anyone chop cuz the slider was down, but I did have a static line student (who as it turns out was a guy I'd had a major crush on in high school :$) steer the canopy entirely with the rear risers... never unstowed the toggles! No flare of course so he landed feet knees face. I wasn't surprised that he never came back to do another jump!
And then there was the chick who cutaway just cuz she wanted to. RSL took care of her and we suggested nicely that she not come back.
pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?

check him out....

I particularly like how he has a picture on his site with his ex-gf blacked out. He apologizes for the pic, but said he put it on teh site anyways because he looks good in it.....
Sounds to me like this guy is a couple of fries short of a happy meal......
SkyDekker
"We cannot do great things, only small things with great love" Mother Theresa

I really don't know how anyone could cut away because of the slider is down. You would think that if you're going to jump out of a plane w/ your own parachute you would have researched it somewhat. I admit that I had know idea what a slider did before my AFP class but I knew just from T.V. and reading that a little square piece of fabric is supposed to be on the bottom of the lines. To be honest I thought it just seperated the lines.:P
I'll go to college; learn some big words; I'll talk real loud god damn right I'll be heard.

the first AFF jump student had cutaway because the slider wasn't all the way up the lines. Yup you heard me right.

In reply to: I have never seen anyone chop because the slider was down
Actually this has happened several times. In the AFF certification course Rick Horn will tell you all about

This is very strange. So these people had a good canopy out, but they cutaway because, even though they were flying just fine, they just wanted the slider to be up higher? And this has happened several times??? Very very strange. How high did they expect the slider to be?
Actually, I just now remembered a story about a student who cutaway because "he didn't like the sound the slider was making"!!:o You know that loud flapping sound.
Speed Racer
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!"

SKY JUMPING!!! is this some new kind of extreme base jumping?? Maybe he means that he likes doing "mister bills"...or maybe, just maybe, he is an idiot! If it were me, i would spend $9,000 on skydiving, and give someone $1,000 to teach me terminology! Yup...the freaks can have him!