degeneration

Chest rings on containers - pros and cons.

I'm toying with ordering a new container in the near future and am weighing up getting chest rings (full articulation ) in the harness. I got them in my last container as it was an option that was available, rather than for a specific reason.

This time I'm wanting to base my choice on knowledge.

I gather under canopy, loosening the chest strap a lot removes any difference the chest rings make compared to not having them.

In freefall the chest rings allow for a tighter fitting harness without distortion of the harness.

That's pretty much my knowledge base.

The rig will be a small rig with a 100 main (not xbraced).

As I know I'm not knowledgeable in this other people's knowledge in this area would be appreciated. What are benefits and drawbacks of chest rings?

Price difference is negligible so that is not a factor in my choice.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

No experience with the rig you're talking about but I had a Mirage G3 with hip rings only and a G4 with full articulation/cut-in laterals. Personally I think the sizing/design of the harness is what really determines how comfortable it is more than anything else. The G4 was custom made so everything about it is more comfortable.

I haven't done a back-to-back comparison or anything but I will say that my G4 isn't really very sensitive to harness input unless I'm already in a turn. To a certain extent that's probably a function of my moderate wing-load though.

I do like a firm harness that doesn't move around in free-fall and find that the fully-articulated Mirage exceeds all my expectations in that regard even when getting tackled or being used as a human jungle-gym in freefall.

Hip and chest rings could also simplify harness repairs/resizing.

Just my 2 cents...
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

DougH

Con.
Less input from harness turns.

More education needed for me - How do chest rings affect harness turns?

Thanks.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

degeneration

***Con.

Thanks.

.................................................................................

Ask hard-core, competitive pro-pond swooping canopy pilots. Research photos of them in competition.

riggerrob

Ask hard-core, competitive pro-pond swooping canopy pilots. Research photos of them in competition.

I don't know anyone that fits that description, so have no one to ask other than people on here!

I can do the photo research part though!

And apologies for my faux pas mixing up container/harness! If I could do some stealthy editing of the post/title I would! But edit function appears to have gone for old posts.

riggerrob

******Con.

Thanks.

.................................................................................

I cant see having chest rings making any difference to the hard core swoopers because most of them completely undo their chest strap because they have belly bands. Even the ones that do keep the chest strap connected, the chest strap is so long that it doesnt have any tension to make a difference from a harness turn.

Pros- chest rings will make harness resize easier, faster and cheaper.
Cons- Because it's more flexible, you might end up with your reserve handle under your RIGHT armpit during a severe spinning mal.
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen