mountainman

Dropzone.com RW Big-way rules and regs...

I just finally started reading the "Texas rally up" thread and saw Phree say "They need to have posted, not just register" and it made me think. *uh oh* Anyway, should you make some rules for it to be that? I mean, maybe have made a certain number of posts (enthusiast maybe) and/or have posted a certain number of events and/or classified ads if they are non-posters, but still dz.commers.
Just a thought. Seems anyone could register and make one post. That is just too easy. :)JumpinDuo.com...come and sign the guestbook.

If we're going to get serious about these, then I think there need to be some basic rules. Here's what I suggest - everyone please chime in!!
1) All participants are to be registered users of dropzone.com with a registration date of at least the day before the record attempts.
2) A list of all expected participants screennames to be posted in the forum the day prior to the attempts. They don't all have to be in any completed record formation, and adding participants who meet the standard of #1 on the day of the dive is allowed.
3) A jump is not a record if it does not complete as dirt dived - all jumpers in and in their slot - although if more than one formation was dirt dived and only the first point is built, it's a record.
4) A record formation needs to be held for a minimum of 3 seconds. Additional formations on the record dive count for added bragging rights, but if the record is a 15 way that turned 3 points, a 16 way that builds one will be considered a new record.
5) A list of all jumpers on the record dive to be posted in the forums within 24 hours of the completion of the dive.
6) A still photo (or video capture) of the record dive to be posted in the forums as soon as possible after the completion of the dive. We have enough camera fliers around here that this should not be a problem for anyone.
What do you all think??
pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?

Lisa.... all great sugestions, except for being forced to post a list of people that are going to be on te dive the day in advace. How would boogie situations apply to the rules? The organizer might not have access to a computer or in the Case of a Summerfest/Quincy/Couch Freaks record it might take a few days for someone to actually verify if everyone was registered in time, ect. How would that effect the record?
Political Correctness-At least one person at any one time will be offended by something

I think that we need to up the requirements for the participants. I think that they need to be registered for at leat 1 month or have posted at least 10 times. I mean this is a record for all of us in our little comunity not one to be grabbed and dishonestly attained.
However I also think that the formation should be planned and the slots idetified before the jump goes up.
God bless us and God Bless America
Albatross

Yeah, I think there should be a "participation" stipulation for all participants. If they register the day before and post one post the morning of, they aren't really a "dz.commer member". They are more like a "tourist". See what I'm saying?
I think there should be some real participants since that is the whole point. Not to see how big of a formation you can build with people who know how to register themselves on a public forum. Just my .02.
JumpinDuo.com...come and sign the guestbook.

Yeah, I think there should be a "participation" stipulation for all participants

Was also my thoughts, but #1 above was mentioned in another thread (I think zennie posted it in the Texan thread... but I'm too lazy to go look right now ;)) as already being the basis of who can participate in a dz.com record attempt.
pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?

1) All participants are to be registered users of dropzone.com with a registration date of at least the day before the record attempts.

I believe this is better than requiring N-number of posts.

2) A list of all expected participants screennames to be posted in the forum the day prior to the attempts. They don't all have to be in any completed record formation, and adding participants who meet the standard of #1 on the day of the dive is allowed.

I assume then that, this is just a common courtesy and allows people to, uh, sort of back out if they think somebody is a jerk or something, while still allowing last minute add-ins.

3) A jump is not a record if it does not complete as dirt dived - all jumpers in and in their slot - although if more than one formation was dirt dived and only the first point is built, it's a record.

Same as always.

4) A record formation needs to be held for a minimum of 3 seconds. Additional formations on the record dive count for added bragging rights, but if the record is a 15 way that turned 3 points, a 16 way that builds one will be considered a new record.

A separate category can be followed for multi-point big-ways. This has actually become sort of popular in the 100ish-way events.

5) A list of all jumpers on the record dive to be posted in the forums within 24 hours of the completion of the dive.

This should be the responsibility of the LO. Sometimes there may be circumstances where the LO -can't- get to an on-line connection. Let's say the record is set on a Saturday and the LO plans on partying/sleeping/hooking up at the DZ that night and doesn't really see a computer until sometime in the wee hours of Monday morning.
My suggestion would be that they -must- be posted no later than 11:59pm (posters local time) the following Tuesday. This would allow for long 3-day weekends and long celebration benders.

6) A still photo (or video capture) of the record dive to be posted in the forums as soon as possible after the completion of the dive. We have enough camera fliers around here that this should not be a problem for anyone.

This should be the responsibilty of the camera flyer, or if in the event that a non-DZ.com camera flyer is allowed, then it becomes the responsibility of the LO. Are we allowing non-DZ.com camera flyers? Also, the time constraint issues should also follow the same ones that apply to the results as listed in #5.
quade
http://futurecam.com

Another great set of ideas to refine this record with, but I do have a few questions and suggestions too...
1) Make the registed date be at least a week or 30 days in advance. Its way too easy to hear about something on a Saturday at the DZ, go home, create an account and get on Sundays Record. Lets not forget that the entire purpose of this is to provide a distributed record that can be shared by people from differnet DZ's at the same time while having those same people to be members of our community too. Being a member is a whole lot more then just creating a user account the day before....
2) Great Idea. This will allow a jumper to back out if the dive gets over thier head. There are lots of people on here that can safely fly to one point on a big way, but less that can do multi points on the same big-way. If the LO starts planing stuff over their head it allows a way to back out gracefully.
3) Slot specific not Grip, thats my only comment. (Whats the real diff between inner vs outer leg grip between friends?)
4) Possibilty fo different categories exists here. Freefly (points vs people), RW (Points vs people) CReW (Stack vs rotations)
5) The post time thing gets into murky waters at stuff like boogies. The record might be set on the first Saturday, but since the LO is there fore more then a week without an internet connection, what should the time frame be? Also, how about our military jumpers? They might jump on the weekend but have to go on training missions for a week afterwards, what do they do?
6) DZ.com camera fliers might make the record much harder to break impromto.
Lets never loose sight that this was created to have fun and make new friends from all over the place.
Political Correctness-At least one person at any one time will be offended by something

Good list Lisa. The only one I have a bit of an issue with is the requirement to post a list of participants the day before.
This takes some of the spontenaity out, like as previously mentioned, during a boogie. If a bunch of dz.commers are at the DZ and decide, "What the heck, let's take a crack at the record." I think they should be able to. Other than that, I don't have a problem with the list you've provided.
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

Remember something very important here. The key is to have fun. That is how this all started in the first place, it wasn't a true record of sorts, it was sort of a joke. And it was continued that way all the way through to the current record.
People getting all stuffy and becoming assholes about dives is one of the main reasons why I started FreeFlying...lets not continue that sort of attitude here.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

If you're going to start "categories" .... how about creating one for us lowtimers who can't safely go on bigways? ... maybe like one I read about where a couple of lowtimers are coached by/jump with someone much more experienced .... number of points? ... I'm working on learning to use weights so I can keep up ... LOL !!!

Most number of points on 2-ways, 3 ways,4 ways, etc is another angle to go at also. Only thing is I would like to impose something like no AFF-I doing a 2 way with like 80 points, that takes all the fun out of something like this.
Political Correctness - At least one person at any one time will be offended by something

Re: posting the list -
Posting the list beforehand would be a way to let everyone planning to be there know who else is planning to be there, and assure that the person organizing the dives has a rough idea of the number of jumpers planning to show up - the actual LO may or may not be the person who puts forth the idea (as in the upcoming California attempts - I made the original post, but hotamaly will be doing the LO'ing). This could easily be waived for a boogie situation.
Re: posting after the record. Time frame is of course open - I threw out 24 hours cuz after all, we all want to know about this kind of stuff as soon as possible! I don't think the LO or the person who spearheaded the attempts needs to be the one to post it. I'd think that any person on the dive, or even someone who is not on the dive but is on site that day, could be the one to post the record.
Re: camera fliers - I don't see a problem with non-dz.commer's flying camera as long as someone who is a dz.commer can get ahold of the pic/video to post it, but I also think that only a dz.commer camera flier should have their name listed with the participants in the pub. Photo credit on any pics used yes, but not on the "official" listing. And again, time frame is open, but the sooner the better (okay, so I'm impatient.... :P).
Re: grip perfect. Nah. Whether the grip was made on the shoulder or on wrists or inside/outside leg seems kind of irrelevant for this. My point with slot perfect is to encourage safety, not to get really really picky.

Lets never loose sight that this was created to have fun and make new friends from all over the place

Which leaves room for rule #7 - all dz.commers on the dz the day of the record, whether on the dive or not, are required to hang out and party with the group until the wee hours of the morning! :)pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?

That concept was made after a dive I was on didn't make and a couple jumpers came down and were pissed, throwing helmets, etc. I've seen that with jumpers who I haven't jumped with before too, a group will come down and there will be finger pointing and arguing about who did what wrong, etc. That's not why I'm in this sport. I'm in this sport to enjoy myself, not get all bent out of shape about a dive not going perfect. And I really don't appreciate people having that attitude at the DZ, since its bringing my good vibe down.
That statement was NOT directed at you Lisa. It was a generalization.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Thanks for the clarification Dave :)You'll find people like that throughout skydiving, unfortunately. Luckily they seem to burn out and sell their gear before too long... doesn't take long before no one wants to jump with them! ;)
pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?

These were 500+ jump wonders...Ok people, just became assholes about dives...no fun there. It seems that every freeflyer that I've met/dealt with have been really cool about jumps and stuff. If something doesn't work out, they laugh it off. Oh, just about every dedicated POPS jumper I've jumped with has been like that too. There's a funny story about FlyingFerret and I trying to get our SCR together on the same dive (we both had like 25 jumps at the time) with a group of POPS guys at a boogie. Of course the dive went to hell, but the entire group laughed about it the rest of the day and into the night. It is definately on of my more memerable dives. :)The beatings will continue until morale improves.

I don't think the LO or the person who spearheaded the attempts needs to be the one to post it. I'd think that any person on the dive, or even someone who is not on the dive but is on site that day, could be the one to post the record.

The only reason I suggested the LO is that in my experience, not just in skydiving but in life in general, is that if you don't give a specific person a responsibility, then either nobody does it, or everybody does it and does it their "own" way. Often with conflicting results.
So I was just thinking of how the posting -might- go and shuddering at the different nick-names and various spellings.
I don't wanna be -too- anal about things, but I know it bugs me when I've had my name misspelled (hell, it's only five letters and there's only two spellings that make any sense).
quade
http://futurecam.com

ok this was way too long and involved for me to personally worry about. but i thought it was just the basics.
but now we're talking catogories and etc. pretty much i though records were made up as we went kinda like the dz.com record was made up. wasnt that made up on the spot? when we jumped in deland we werent talking about dropzone.com and how cool it would be to get in the record book. in fact that was made up as a reason for us to get off our asses and drive to a new dz and meet you ppl.
skydiving is a world of firsts. you gotta make your own first. like first d.com recor for OZ.(something i was b.s.ing about with hawk) first naked formatoin of dz.comers etc. for international skydive with each memeber from a different country etc etc. if there are rules about what you can and cant do. what happene dto the spirit of firsts. i think the dzx.commer is someone who hasnt posted just so we can say we did a record jump.9b/c i could take part in some big way and say hey why dont you guys loginto dz,com. that wouldnt be right!
(have i beat the horse to death yet.) truthfully, the only rules that i thought were applicable were. hold for 5 seconds. jump as planned. and have fun. i hope i wasnt wrong. anyway :)
Have fun, LIVE FREE, Skydive
JT