lilchief

Scary jumprun

I'd like to hear opinions and comments on this issue.

I'm currently jumping at a DZ in the US, and the jumpruns scares me. The pilot initiates the JR, but after some 30sec he starts to make a left turn up to 120 degrees at the most. I looked at the GPS to the pilot while I was sitting in the Co-Pilot seat and noticed that there were to dottet lines one the screen. He initiated the turn after passing the first, maybe to avoid dropping jumpers outside of the 2nd dottet line.

This has led to separation problems and I had canopies not far ( < 200 ft)away from me just before I reached for the PC. Some other jumpers I'm jumping with told me they had ecperienced the same thing. I asked, quite frustrated, manifest if they could make the pilots stop doing it, but I don't know if they bother.

I came up with sort of a solution to the problem. The jumper on the inside of the turn hardly separate at all and the jumper on the outside separates all he can and as hard as he can to avoid other jumpers. I tried it out and it kind of worked. However, it does not help if both groups before and after you, are not aware and spot where the other group is heading and which way the jumprun goes. And when they seperate, they do it perpendicular to the runway where the jumprun started. Or the person on the inside of the turn tracks into the center of the turn where maybe, a lot of other jumpers are :S

I also don't know how happy the DZO will be at me if i constantly ask for 2nd passes if i'm in the middle of the aircraft. However, It might be the saftest thing to do..

Has someone experienced this and has some thought on the issue?
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

Its possible that there are some strict noise abatement procedures that he needs to adhere to and so he cant go more than a certain distance in a certain direction, but then a cross wind jump run would seem more logical.
I think youd have more luck if you asked your pilot about it instead of reading the speculation of strangers.

As for your explanation of what the the pilot is doing, I can't comment. There is not enough information in your post to follow what the whole jump run looks like.

Of course, if you are having issues with separation at openening times, somethings need to be looked at.

Whether this is the jump run or exit timing, is not clear. But do look into the problem and don't give up without a solution.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

I got some answers today :)
The reason was simply because of the lack of alternative landingaeras in that direction. There's a large residental area and plenty trees around the houses. I didn't see it as a problem untill after the explanation. Today they put the run differently, and it was much better since most of it was a straight line.

:)
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

Assumming no really large values for upper winds are involved, there's no reason why a jumprun can't be a continous arc; nearly a full circle actually.

Obviously that would an exceptional case as most drop zones do have a straight line jump run, but like I said, no reason it couldn't be done.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Assumming no really large values for upper winds are involved, there's no reason why a jumprun can't be a continous arc; nearly a full circle actually.

I watched a guy dent the King Air tail with his head when we tried a curved jump (canopy camp where the DZO figured that we could get everyone out within range of the landing area if he flew one curved pass which would take less fuel+time than two straight passes)

In order to maintain level flight, the tail of a plane must be lower in a turn than if it were flying straight. This causes problems with low-tail aircraft and poised exits.

Its possible that there are some strict noise abatement procedures that he needs to adhere to and so he cant go more than a certain distance in a certain direction, but then a cross wind jump run would seem more logical.
I think youd have more luck if you asked your pilot about it instead of reading the speculation of strangers.

It's really hard to hear an airplane at 1300 feet :P

Willy
growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

I know, its just that there's a village 0.5 miles west of our DZ that we aren't allowed to fly over at either 1300 or 13000 feet.
I don't know if its the sound of the aircraft or the thought of people falling above them that they have a problem with.

Unless it is a TFR they can't restrict your flying over it. There is a restriction for exiting over a densely populated area. The DZ might be avoiding it for good relations reasons.
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!