Joshuamb

Question about first gear purchase

Hello,

I am almost done with my A-license (Already took packing course, at 20/25 jumps) and am looking into purchasing some gear to avoid rental costs ($105/day (Rig), $10/day (Altimeter), $10/day (Helmet)).

I know many people advise not to purchase gear this early since I will be downsizing quickly and I have the option to do a deposit program with a gear shop (Square1) at my DZ.

The program gives the following rates on rentals if I commit to depositing toward a complete new system. ($2000 deposit -> $200/month, $5000 deposit -> $100/month, $8000 deposit -> $100/month w/ 4 months or 100 jumps free)

My question would be what people recommend to do about gear. I am unsure if I should be trying to purchase a used system around 190 sq. ft (If so, what should I be looking for in the rig) or participate in the deposit program and purchase much later.

Also, I am 6ft and 165lb.

There is another thread somewhere about this.

My advice is to buy an older rig. You will then have the same rig all the time, have it when you want it, know how it has been handled and maintained, be jumping the same canopy all the time making it easier to learn canopy flight, be able to order demo canopies and put them in you rig to try out, have the rig at home to practice packing, have a rig if you want to jump somewhere else. These are just some of the reasons. But I wouldn't want to be renting/sharing my last chance to live.:)

BTW a perfectly serviceable and in many ways best helmet, a ProTec, is less than $50. And buy an altimeter. You'll always need it. I'm using the one I bought in 1980.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I just went second hand then when I figured out what I wanted bought new....see so many people buy brand new gear for there first jumps after getting there A licence then they have an expensive piece of shit they will get sick of fast
FTMC

if only there was someone at Perris you could ask about this :P

you can always rent until you know what you want to buy... then pick up some used gear and jump it for a while then sell it on for basically what you paid for it

go talk to the LOs in the RW area, they will steer you in the right direction (and maybe even help you find some used gear when you're ready)

no real harm in picking up an altimeter, helmet and/or goggles if you have an idea of what you want/like

NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

$125 for renting all your stuff is ridiculous.

First, buy a used alti. They've been seen for $50-$80. I just bought one off ebay for $33 shipped.

Next, exactly as has been stated, if you can afford $2000 down payment on a new rig you can start piecing together your own. Watch the classifieds, there's deals every now and then. I got an older javelin for $500 and a racer with reserve for $500. I've seen used mains for $500-$800, and the occasional used AAD. I should be around $2500-$3000 by the time I'm done.

This is from one new jumper to another. As Ive got just 48 civilian sport jumps.

I was licensed last summer. I spent all winter scouring the classifieds here and the Facebook group Becca Lynn runs (Skydiving Gear For Sale and Wanted).

What I found is that normally, for the most part though there are exceptions, used gear was priced much higher than the equation for used gear value posted here: http://www.skydivekansas.com/resources/ar_usedgear.shtml
Or any of the other suggestions I was given in determining a fair price for a used rig.

And at 75 to 80% of the cost of a new one plus shipping, I would rather pay the additional 20-25% and get exactly what I want, in exactly the colors I want, in my custom size and in perfect condition (hopefully) from the manufacturers.

As for downsizing, dont be in a rush. I weigh 190 and jump a 190 rental now and ordered a 190. With gear on Im just slightly above a 1:1 and loving it. And the container I ordered (Javelin Odyssey J4K) can easily downsize to a 170 should I ever decide to do so.

Their deposit program sounds nice, with free rentals while you wait for your rig. $8000 should more than cover the cost of a top of the line fully customized rig with all the bells and whistles. My fully spec'd out rig came in under that.

So personally I would say if you have the money and can afford it, go for it.

But do yourself a favor! Go ahead and buy yourself an altimeter and helmet and stop renting those! And possibly a stock jumpsuit as well.