rhino

Safest canopy under a 1.0 wing loading.

Opinions wanted.
From your experience what do you think the safest canopy is at or under a 1.0 wing loading. Say for a beginner?
My choice would be a Triathlon.. What would yours be?
Rhino
Blue Skies and Smooth Rides!!
http://www.aahit.com

Spectre, or Sabre/Sabre2 from PD, Omega from Icarus, Synergy from PA, Tri from Aerodyne or a Indigo from Atair. All are good designs and would be fine at lower loadings. Over all... my money is on the Spectre for best intro. Many experienced jumpers are still on Spectres because of how sweet they are.
Cause I don't wanna come back down from this cloud... ~ Bush

I talked with lisa about this about two weeks ago. She said the Tri is the best bet. and if you have the $$$ a Spectre. Does anyone make a 200 sq/ft chute??
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver

What are people's thoughts about a Safire at a 1:1 loading.....
Sabre's I know, but aren't Triathlon's known for hard openings too? I seem to remember getting whacked by one
Make up your own ending,let me know just how you feel....

I had one really hard opening on my Triathlon.. Don't know why.. After that I double wrapped all the rubberbands and the openings got even softer and more consistant.

yeah, I remember talking to one of the instructors about it afterwards and I seem to recall him mentioning something about if I did this with the slider it would be a little better. Shoot can't remember what it was tho..
Make up your own ending,let me know just how you feel....

yeah, I remember talking to one of the instructors about it afterwards and I seem to recall him mentioning something about if I did this with the slider it would be a little better.
Shoot can't remember what it was tho..

Probably wanted you to make a deep pocket in the center after you quarter it and pull the lip of the slider out over the nose of the center cell to make another "mini" pocket.
That little bit alone will add 150-200 feet to the opening of my Stiletto.
Kris

lummy, I have never had anything even roughly resembling a hard opening on my Triathlon 190 loaded at ~1.13...as a matter of fact, the first few times I jumped it, it made me fairly nervous about how long it took to open, but now it's nice and slow without touching the nose at all.
Austin

I have a 1995 PD170 main made from F-111, it's always been packed indoors & well-cared for, so you still have to roll the nose or you'll get slammed (ie., it doesn't snivel!). It's rectangular and very stable, even with line twists. I've had it since jump #25, and it's great. With gear I load it about 1:1, and it's very easy to handle, yet it doesn't back up under a somewhat-high wind like a lightly-loaded canopy would.
Speed Racer
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!"

I've been really happy with my Triathlon so far ... soft openings ... but if you let a packer pack for you watch them ... some have a tendancy to roll noses which you do not want to do on the tri ... a friends wife had one (almost new) blow up on her after a packer did this ... Aerodyne told them to be sure NOT to do that ... causes hard openings on them.
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

danged if I know - still too new at all this ... on some canopies it works fine ... on others it causes 'em to slam you ... I think it may have to do with trim? .. rolling the nose could be causing the tail to catch air first and cause the rest to pop all at once??
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

WROOOONG!!!!!
I rolled the nose 150 times on my Triathlon. It's almost necessary. I don't mean a little roll. I mean ALL THE WAY. the 3 right cells and the 3 left cells ALL THE WAY IN.. Leave the center cell just folded over. Then give it a decent stuff watching the lined and making sure they stay centered. If I didn't roll the nose on my Triathlon150 I was asking to have a relatively frisky and brisk opening.
1. Roll the nose.
2. stuff it about 1/3 of the way in
3. double wrap your rubber bands.
If you so these 3 things you should have nice openings with the Triathlon.
With my Diablo110 I did not roll the nose.
Rhino

Maybe your Tri has an attitude.. Rolling the nose WILL NOT cause you to get spanked.. It delays the opening of the canopy not speed it up. The ONE time I was spanked a packer packed it.

Sometimes the Manufacturers as we know have an inflated EGO about how their gear SHOULD perform. It isn't always the case. And I don't specifically remember Aerodyne saying don't roll the nose on the Triathlon.. They may have said you don't have to roll the nose.

I never roll mine, and so far (knock on wooden head) have had good openings. I didn't talk to them myself, just telling ya what my friend told me about his wife's ... (he started jumping in the 70's, so I have to figure he knows a bit more than I do about it), and he and his wife both jump Tri 175's. They've both told me that the only hard openings they've had on them is when a packer rolled the nose. If I got the right take from the conversation about her's blowing out, they could have invalidated the warranty as a result, but replaced it anyway. BUT ... you're right ... I checked back thru the instructions that came with mine ... doesn't say NOT to do it, but also does not say TO do it. It does have verbage about being "packed in strict compliance with the manufacturer's instructions", and since they don't tell you to roll it, I don't.

How about the PD Navigator, sure it get's ripped for being labeled a student canopy, however it's a great combo: 9 cells, ZP Top/F111 bottom. Fly's and lands like a Sabre, but is easy to pack. Couple months ago we had an almost 80 year old guy out at the DZ that had been jumping for over 50 years and this was his canopy of choice.
Plus they make it in a 200sq. ft. flavor....
Only downside being less name brand recognition, hence lower re-sale value?

They've both told me that the only hard openings they've had on them is when a packer rolled the nose

maybe the packer did something else, like use loose line stows or something. rolling the nose would not CAUSE faster openings. You roll the nose to make it open slower.
Speed Racer
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!"