scottbre

Best body position for Total Double Mal.

Ok, so I was thinking about the King of The Hill episode where Peggy has a double total mal and goes in. She survives it, as it shows on the season premiere of the following season.
Anyhow, supposing you were in the situation where nothing is over your head and nothing is coming out, what do you think would be the best body position to try to be in when you impacted? Also, what do you think would be the best thing to "land" on, if you had the time to try to aim for something with the hopes of maybe living through it?
20 million bathtubs can't be wrong. . .

Also, what do you think would be the best thing to "land" on, if you had the time to try to aim for something with the hopes of maybe living through it?

It has been said here before. If you have a double mal aim for either the rigger or their car.
Kachink,
ChromeBoy
-Mirage G3 Unisyn-

I dont think I would be thinking about what kind of body position to be in when I go in- because if you have nothing out- lets face it...you're "going in." I'd be fighting to get something out the whole way down. But- since you asked....theres always that joke about tracking for the rigger's car...:S

what do you think would be the best body position to try to be in when you impacted?

Head between legs, kissing ass goodbye.

Also, what do you think would be the best thing to "land" on, if you had the time to try to aim for something

Your rigger's car
It's not a real sport unless you can die from massive internal trauma.
Lippy

The best position for any sort of impact to your body is always the fetal position. All of your major organs are in this case somewhat protected but would still suffer from blunt force trauma. And I agree if your LZ is close enough that the rigger is sure to be out there watching the dives, it's worth 10000 points for style and accuracy.;)
Who ever said comming down from a high was bad obviously never tried this.
Magistr8

Best position? Head-down with my eyes closed and my helmet off. I'm not sure I'd want to risk surviving the impact.
But if I did, the best thing to land on? Now, where was that pillow factory..... :)Gus
"Sex? Once every six seconds. Skydiving? Five times, every six seconds."

After pulling everything in their correct order, unzipping the jump suit for more lift, tracking for the pond, etc I seem to remember my FJC instructor telling me the following:-
Elbows tucked in to your sides, palms pressed firmly together, thumbs to sternum, fingers pointing upwards at chin level.......eyes closed, but open optional.

I think Gus has a good point, are you sure you would WANT to survive something like that? Imagine spending 20+ years in a hospital bed with a clear mind, but without the ability to move or communicate with anyone.
- I Fart In Your General Direction!

When asked what to do in the event of a reserve mal, our FJC instructor told us to take off our helmets and stand in them... That way the mess would be contained.
It's not a real sport unless you can die from massive internal trauma
Lippy

To take this thread on a somewhat more serious path :P saw an interesting vid on safety day. Mark Kruse showed us his video of a double mal, actually a triple mal. He was doing CReW and entangled with another. The two of them went into a spin tangled together and the other guy (lower) chopped. His main remained wrapped around Kruse's wrist and his own main continuing to spin him. So Kruse chopped. His main remained entangled with the one around his wrist.
So, he's got 2 tangled canopies attached to his wrist putting him into a violent, flat spin. His left arm is stretched out all the way, no way to get a hook knife up there. He deploys his reserve and a big ball of shit came out. The reserve was twisted up and he had only about half of the fabric inflated. He was able to work on this and stabilize (stopping the spin) and had enough fabric attached to him to survive the landing. I believe (but not sure) that he wasn't even injured. Very wicked looking video. Especially when the guy in it is standing there narrating it for you without the need for Whoopi Goldberg to relay the message.
The mal originated at 4 grand and I believe he said he got a landable configuration at around 300 feet. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about these details.
Bottom line, double mal, my position will be fighting for my damn life trying to get as much fabric as possible spread out over my head.
cielos azules y cerveza fría
-Kevin

Kevin:
You hit the nail right on the head with that last one. As I stated earlier the best position to land in is the fetal position but this is ONLY if you know you cannot land under canopy. If there is any chance that I can get something over my head before I die I would fight to make it happen. If I hit the ground in the process then I guess I failed but if I think even for a minute at 1000 or 500 ft that it is over then you must not value your life to the extent that I do.
Magistr8

I suppose the "best" one i have seen is on Pilotdaves site :Here
Look under "from TV" section, it's one of Foxsports Yougottaseethis vid's called Cypresfire. (filmed from the guy himself)
He join's that very small band of people who survive a double mal.
..Billions of people living out their lives..Oblivious..

I have seen on ripley's belive it or not some video of a guy who survived a double mal and hit the ground hard. There was a bit of a bounce and then contact again. The amazing this was this guy only spained his ankle. I wish I had someone watching my back like that.
Magistr8

Look under "from TV" section, it's one of Foxsports Yougottaseethis vid's called Cypresfire.

Just watched that. Damn, that's intense. Maybe should be cross posted in the portrayal of skydiving in the media thread though. "Craig says a malfunction like he experienced happens on average once every 400 jumps". If that were the case there'd be a double mal every weekend at XKeys during the busy season. Not to mention that part of the reason he lost altitude awareness is because they were going through thick clouds between 2-3000 feet on their "free jump skydive".
There's another bitchin' vid on there of a guy rigging his main with batting and dousing it with kerosene, then lighting it on fire when he's under it. Once again, another dumbass comment though, "I've had to use my reserve before, I've even cut away from my main just because I was bored." Looks badass though.
cielos azules y cerveza fría
-Kevin

A student and Tandem Master at a southern Florida DZ survived a dual mal. I do not remember the exact malfunction but he cutaway and had a spinning reserve ride. They both blacked out and landed in an industrial park on a small grass incline surrounded by concrete. They were both torn up pretty bad but made a complete recovery. The student said right before he blacked out the tandem master told him..."We might not make it".
The Discovery Channel came to the DZ and filmed the Instructors return jump. 6 way. It was supposed to be on in January. The owner of Z Hills was supposed to be on the same program discussing his swoop pond accident.
Did anyone see this program?
Kachink,
ChromeBoy
-Mirage G3 Unisyn-

All joking aside, I would track as far away from the dz as possible. An open field before a lake because at that speed it really would not make a difference and it would be easier to locate in a field...although that would not be easy.
What position would I be in...probably belly to earth reciting the Lords Prayer. I have never really been a spiritual man, however, I do say a little prayer each and every jump for protection!
Nathan