Darth_Vader

Canopy colors options (poll)

Hello all,

Getting a new canopy and wanted some feedback on the colors I am considering (see attached).
The Pulse comes with only white bottom skin and ribs

I am also considering which will be most visible (safety). I jump at a desert DZ.

Thank you for the input and suggestions.

Blue skies,
Chris
The Power of the Dark Side

If you're going for most visible, go with contrasting colors to the surrounding. So the bottom should be the complimentary color to the sky... So orange, and the topskin should contrast the browns and yellows of the desert, (I assume these colors) would be a purplish color. I'm assuming you don't want this color scheme but it's the most visible. I'd say just pick something that shows up well on sand in case of a cutaway. And I'd rethink that white bottom. White and deserts don't play well together.... It'll look dirty way faster. Besides imagine looking up at a cloud with a white canopy under it.....
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

I like either of the last two. I think the sun would have more of an effect on the black skins. I'm also a fan of having asymmetrical colors, makes identifying the left/right quicker (think line twists or a big pile of canopy on the ground).

I think this looks nice as well, more sporty to me (see attachment).

get colors bright and visible. you don't want to the stealth canopy no one sees until just before the collision. i like orange, yellow, lime green,etc.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

Thank you all who provided input so far!

Visibility - you are all spot on - above the desert black/red is quite visible as the sand is light yellow (arguably orange/yellow might blend more - see attached).

shift: usually red is the pigment most susceptible to fade in sunlight. Good suggestion - thanks

NPower: awesome - that photo gives great context!!! The red bleeds nice!

Further comments/suggestions appreciated

If you want "high viz" then black shouldn't be in the mix, period. If you want some black in your canopy go for it but minimize it as much as possible.

There's a distinct difference to you brain between "high visibility" and "contrast". Think about construction workers, crossing guards, warning signs, etc. What colors are those? Yellow, orange, neon variants, etc. This is because they grab your attention.

All my canopies have been bright colors, most of them tangerine/neon orange since they stand out really well in all situations.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Does orange, lime yellow, pink canopies really keeps you safe??? or do they just get faded and bleached out faster than any other color??

Last two entanglement I've seen, one had lime green and the other had orange. Color doesn't keep you safe, the other guy keeping head on swivel and you not flying thru heavy canopy traffic keeps you safe.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

stayhigh

Does orange, lime yellow, pink canopies really keeps you safe??? or do they just get faded and bleached out faster than any other color??

Last two entanglement I've seen, one had lime green and the other had orange. Color doesn't keep you safe, the other guy keeping head on swivel and you not flying thru heavy canopy traffic keeps you safe.

Of course no color will "keep you safe" but certain colors sure make it a heck of a lot easier to SEE canopies when you're keeping your head on a swivel. I had an all black canopy for three years... never again. Too many people told me it "disappeared" in lower light situations. They may still not see me on my (mostly) yellow or (mostly) orange canopies now, but I'm sure as heck going to make it as easy as possible.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

stayhigh

Your logic is a little strained. Maybe a lot. Either that or you're missing the essential point.

Boogers

***I think the sun would have more of an effect on the black skins.

Why do you think that?

Black absorbs sunlight (think of a black car on a sunny day).

Darth_Vader

shift: usually red is the pigment most susceptible to fade in sunlight. Good suggestion - thanks

Makes sense. But it looked like you really liked red, and personally I would chose it over black :)

It would also be harder to see imperfections in black, such as a small hole or debris. Also, black is hard to keep clean (at least black cars are).

mattjw916: Yes - attention grabbers and contrast are not the same, but orange/yellow does blend quite well in the desert and will be like what NWFlyer said: black canopy disappearing in low light

stayhigh, NWFlyer, Andy9o8: high visible canopy definitely makes it easier to be seen but people that don't pay attention while flying their neon orange canopies... safe pilots and bright canopies are two different dimensions.

shift: its not only color, but material - from what i know color makes no marketable difference and with nylon even less so (compared to metal). also, ZP is basically heat treated nylon - should be fine... I hope. On black/yellow & black/blue canopies at the DZ the black visually seems to be "cleaner"/"fresher"

From that discussion I might just go for red with some black/white AND and neon orange jumpsuit... ;)

shift

******I think the sun would have more of an effect on the black skins.

Why do you think that?

Black absorbs sunlight (think of a black car on a sunny day).

Define "absorbs"

Why would black do this more than other colors?

What affect do you think that has on the fabric?

Darth_Vader

On black/yellow & black/blue canopies at the DZ the black visually seems to be "cleaner"/"fresher"

I jump a neon yellow/black/white canopy, and all I can tell you is that compared to the "white", the rest of the canopy looks brand new!

I also jump wearing a neon yellow helmet and shirt, and I get comments all the time about people being able to spot me super easy :)

Boogers

Define "absorbs"

Why would black do this more than other colors?

What affect do you think that has on the fabric?

White reflects all colors in the spectrum, which reflects none. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black, this is what I mean when I say absorbs.

This would mean the fabric would heat/cool more dramatically. Possibly effecting the porosity. As mentioned, ZP is heat treated. I dunno how much the sun is going to affect it, but I dont see it helping any over a white canopy.

This is getting off topic to my new canopy color selection, but is more important:

LloydDobbler (D 30655) said in a previous post: "One of the master riggers at Cal City did a study on this subject a couple of years ago & presented it at PIA. His findings showed that most colors (including dark colors) held up well - but certain fluorescent colors showed weak tensile strength after prolonged exposure"

here are the links:
Presentation: http://www.upscalehomeless.com/muzak/fabric_color_study.zip
Data: http://www.upscalehomeless.com/muzak/fabric_color_study_files.zip

Boogers

*** Possibly effecting... I dunno... I dont see it...

Okay, I get it now, you're really just guessing and have no actual facts about this subject.

Studies conducted in the 70’s concluded that High Visibility Yellow is the most visible color to the human eye in most light conditions. Red is one of the worst. In low or poor lighting it is almost invisible.
Because of this study many Fire Depts. changed over to the HVY. If you noticed all FAA fire and crash rigs are now that color.

Stayhigh; Orange was the second most visible. ;)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Sparky - I agree with the studies and they do make a lot of sense.

My question is how do you adopt this for the surrounding environment - in the desert its quite hard to see a yellow/orange canopy from above as it blends in quite nicely (I attached some pics above).

Thanks.