why not have 2 reserves?

why would you need another AAD? I dont see why you would. The 2nd reserve would not be connected to the AAD, only the 1st would.
Also, why would you need RSL on any of the reserves? Obviously you would need some more handles, but im sure they could be worked onto equipment somewhere so they wouldnt be a hinderence.
The only reason i thought a 2nd reserve would be useful would be for those rare reserve mal or main/reserve entanglement scenarios where you cant cut away, and you have no way to get out of the nasty situation you are in.....

It'd be too complicated - Can you imagine someone on their first just having a mal, and chopping the wrong canopy? The current system works fine, so wh not leave it as it is?
the 2nd reserve could be the same as todays reserve - i.e. you cant separate from it. You would only have the option to breakaway from the main and the 1st reserve. Also, anyone who has gone in from a main/reserve entanglement, or a mal'ed reserve might argue that todays system doesnt work fine as it is......

What I mean is that you have a mal on your main, and you chop the first reserve instead. then your down to 1 useabe canopy anyway.
The idea i guess is that you have a mal, chop it, go to reserve but then you have trouble with that, either a mal or main/reserve entanglement. At least with another reserve you would have another option, is what i was thinking.....

Why would you need an AAD in the first place?
if you're gonna post troll like posts on this forum, be ready for some major sarcasm...
i didnt say you needed one.......i guess in my naivety i overlooked your initial sarcastic response. Anyway, this is not meant to be a troll like post - its just a question from a new kid who is wondering things out loud. You dont have to contribute if you think its a worthless post mate.

No offence intended newbie... guess some of us (me) are getting jaded.
any device you add to a rig with the intend to add safety also adds risks and complexity. This is true with AADs, RSLs, and yes, even reserves.
A rig with no reserve has no risk of main / reserve entenglement. There are no cutaway handle to get unstowed. Look at BASE rigs. extremely simple design with as little risk as possible. in some occasion (high enough) a reserve could be usefull, but overall, the benefit/risk ration isnt good enough for BASE
Yes, adding 1 reserve adds more benefits then risks, and its been a standard in rigs for.. what... more then 50 years? (its a guess, someone correct me).
If you have a main/reserve entanglement, its probably because you couldnt get away from the main. I'm not sure adding a 3rd canopy to the mess would help.
A reserve mal is extremely rare. It happens. Shit happens. If you skydive, you must be prepared to accept that even if you do every thing right, you can still die.
This maybe what we end up having in a few years considering people (both inside the sport and outside) either chose of force more and more safety layers (technical, legal, etc) to our sport. But I sure hope it aint..... 2 handles are enough for me thank you very much....
Remster
Muff 914

should you even be in the air to begin with?

Ok, and how many students have just pulled their reserve handle without cutting away their main when it's mal'd? Adding another set of handles won't help.
When you participate in sporting events, its not whether you win or loose, its how drunk you get.

Hell, while we're going there, why not three? We could add an instantly inflatable blow up 'crash cushion' (kind of like a car's airbag) in case those all fail. For good measure we could also carry a pair of jumper cables because everyone knows they will get hung on something. You'd never make it to the ground carrying jumper cables! j/k :D

Rem - thanks mate, no offense taken. Thanks for the explanation - i see what you are saying - more "stuff" = more complexity = adding more fuel to the fire when things go wrong, they can end up going "wronger" if you have more things to do/activate/think about.
You're right - shit happens, and i guess until someone works out how we can go up as well as down, its just something to accept that when it can go wrong, it can go wrong, and thats that.

But you already HAVE a second reserve......it's called "prayer". :)However, that option...
A) has to be maintained constantly and kept in good shape....if you pull it out for the first time only when you really need it, it may not work.
B) after first reserve deployment, you may not have time to finish the second reserve deployment.
Don

I had to use my reserve last week and it worked fine.
I would not want the added confussion of having to decide which reserve to pull or what to do if you had a double mal.
Just remember your emergancy drills and make a decision, do not
dither, if you don't like the look of your main get rid of it while you
still have some altitude and use the reserve.
=================================
I can smell your brains !
=================================