cloud9

daylight saving time

Do we really need this crap anymore? I guess at one time it made some sense maybe. But now what difference does it make what time the clock says in reguard to how much sun is shining. I have to get up at 0430 to go to work, so this morning was actually 0330 I lost an hour of sleep. Also the night shift lost an hour of pay because the government changes the time twice a year. Don't laugh that equates to a jump and sixpack. So what the hell do we really need this sh@#t anymore?

actually this has been bothering me for quite a while to and there are alot of countries in the world that don't use it, and there are also two states (nevada and indiana) and one canadian province (saskatchewan) that do not either. i think we could eliminate it. why not? i think the original reasons were for agriculture but isn't farming most automated now anyway? would that save everyone money if businesses didn't have to deal with that?

We don't need Daylight Saving Time. We never did.
I personally like the Sun to be more or less where it ought to be in the sky at noon. Changing to DST (or summer-time for some countries) screws that all up. Now, don't laugh at this concept! SOME countries are so intent on having the Sun more or less where it ought to be at noon, that their time is 15, 30 or 45 minutes different than Universal Coordinated Time.
quade
BTW, it's Daylight Saving Time. No savings. (Ok, I'm a geek with nothing better to do at work right now.)
http://futurecam.com

Nevada? Actually Nevada has DST; Arizona is the one that doesn't (just 1 state away).... and what's the deal with Indiana anyway? They have one little corner in a different time zone (Central) from the rest of the state (Eastern), and I can never really remember but ONE of those sections observes daylight savings time and the other one doesn't!!! Screws me up every time on road trips when I'm expecting restaurants etc to stay open another hour!
Oh well, that's just me ranting... sorry 'bout that!
(P.s. Hawaii doesnt have DST either - no issues there though)
"Welcome to the sky!" -- My video/photographer, after my second tandem jump

Daylight savings time is not for agricultural reasons. In fact farmers are the biggest opponents of it and why part of Indiana doesn't observe it. Neither does Arizona, Hawaii, PR, and V.I.
There are a few reasons for DST and pretty good ones.
a) Saves electricity. 25% of electricity used at home is for small appliances and lighting. DST saves about 1% of the nations energy consumption each day it's in effect.
b) Safety. It's daylight when people are coming home for work or running errands after work. The majority of crimes and traffic accidents happen in darkness.
c) More daylight after work to get more stuff done (e.g. jumping).
Reagan changed DST from starting at the end of April to the beginning of April so that we would see more benefit. During WWII we had DST all year long to save energy consumption. Studies have shown that DST saves energy every month except Nov - Feb. I'm all for moving it back to the beginning of March.
Why do I know all this useless trivia? I was just designing time synch strategy for our network and was doing some research on it, ran across this info on numerous sites.
cielos azules y cerveza fría
-Kevin

It may not work toward the betterment of ag at -this- time, but that was certainly its original intent.
As for the energy savings . . .
I think we could accomplish all of those goals and more if we got away from working 9 to 5 and worked in flex-time.
I don't know how you'd go about implimenting something like that, but it would go a long way toward reducing traffic congestion as well.
quade
http://futurecam.com

I agree with Lisa. I live about 35 min. from the DZ and DST gives me time to get in a jump or two after work on a weekday. It wouldn't break my heart to have DST year-round!
G. Jones
"Why don't they have a light bulb that only shines on things that are worth looking at?"

But *I* think it should be daylight savings time ALL year long..... I'm amazed that all you jumpers don't like that extra hour before sunset load..... And still have time in the garden (or clouds) after work.....
Whatever....I guess in the big scheme it really doesn't amount to a hill of beans anyway.....
Peace~
Lscribblescribble
Eve was framed!
http://home.earthlink.net/~linzwalley

My experience in teh agriculture industry is that time doesn't matter, cows get milked, horses fed, land tilled when the sun in shining, no clock involved. It does make it easier for Suberbia to get those little league games played and such.
And statistics have shown that there are more vehiclular accidents when the clocks are changed back cause everyone is driving home in the dark all of a sudden and not used to it.