rhino

Hook Turn Simulator ????????????????

A hook turn simulator would be cool.. Actually suspended from lines with toggles in your hand. In a multidirectional wind tunnell that could keep the wind going in whatever direction necessary for the hook.. High tec virtual reality goggles on for the visualization.. It would be interesting if someone could get it to work.
We have every other type of simulator? It would be interesting to see someone come up with a state of the art canopy flight simulator..
Blue Skies ..... ;)

PIA sells one - actually, it's a canopy flight simulator. The expensive models to actually have a fan that blows wind in your face, but the wind isn't speed sensitive. I first saw one at Sega City in Toronto, I did pretty well.
I saw it a few years later at Winter Fest at SDC. I strapped into the gear and instantly went for the hard level - a demo jump into a downtown. With Roger Nelson yelling "HOOK IT" in my ear, I plummeled myself into the street at 48 MPH under an F-111 canopy. Great fun!
My landing generated great applause.
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

The company I work for distributes a skydiving VR game where you hang from a harness using goggles to look around and a set of toggles to steer. I had never skydived when I last played it, but I don't remember it as being particularly realistic. It might be better than having students stand in the classroom and pantomiming the motions of turning, but I doubt it would help with learning to fly a pattern or flare. It certainly wasn't equiped to react to pulling on the risers.
--
Brian

SSK sells one designed for use by students using technology developed by Systems Technology; originally designed for use by smoke jumpers, it is in place in at least one or two dz's in the US. They had it set up at the PIA symposium last year in San Diego; my kid tried it. Pretty cool; he had to do it all - ripcord pull, a streamer mal (he chopped it and pulled the reserve just fine), approach and landing.
More info here and here
pull & flare,
lisa

>A hook turn simulator would be cool..
Closest "simulation" to the feel of a hookturn I've found is the batman ride at magic mountain. It's a 'standing' roller coaster that lets your feet dangle, and at one point it rolls almost 180, drops you, and levels out a few feet above the ground.
-bill von

Wouldn't it be nice if they could get the wing loading accurate.. I'd like to simulate flying the VX46.. See if I could land it without killing myself.. lol Of course a simulated hook into the city street at 46mph would be cool standing up in front of the simulated crowd saying BEER!! LOL
Blue Skies ..... ;)

one of those canopy simulators, im not sure if its ssk is at Skydive Wayne County used to be Aerodrome they use it to train students and a few months back they got the program to simulate a 130 something canopy all you need to do is input the weight and fly its pretty cool just thought i would throw that out
dan
"get on the bus"

I'd just P2P it instead

Thats what I meant.. to this date I haven't paid for a MicroShit program, but HookTurn 2002 might be the exception...
BTW, how is the JFTC countdown doing?
--
~Captain Cutaway
I can disassemble a rig in less than 5 seconds...

I saw someone say pay and microsoft in the same sentence...HAHAHAHAHA..oh, oh, god, oh man that's funny...heh, wait, they were serious?

Heh. M$ oughta pay me for all the pain their software has caused me over the years. :P
OOOOooooo!!!!! LAWSUIT!!!!!! :D
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

Soon as they come through it's only $600 more to go.

What a suck, it's been 6 hundi for weeks now... Garsh, don't skydivers realize the more they try to save the moce chance they'll get to boost their 1st numbers?
--
~Captain Cutaway
I can disassemble a rig in less than 5 seconds...

s that game still at sega city? i get sent to TO for training a couple of times a year and wouldn't mind checking that out!

Actually, when I showed up at Sega City last over Christmas, they'd closed their downtown location and put the building up for lease.
bummer.
I don't know if the one out in Missisauga still has it.
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

i actually didn't know about the one downtown, a colleague of mine told me about the one in mississauga (where we do most of our training). i'll have to sneak over the next time i'm n town. thanks!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bunky
get crazy, before it gets you.