rendezvous

Tandem instructors and gear

Just curious to know if Tandem Instructors at a DZ operation have to pool in one of thier own tandem rigs or do they just use the ones at the DZ. Also my understanding is that they are certified by the manufacturers. If true then how do they work at a DZ that may not have that particular rig for which they are certified.

Each manufactor issues a rating for the TM's and TE's. TE's can issue ratings for the TM's also. Since a tandem rig is about $10000 not many people own their own and just use the DZ's. People that do use their own tend to get payed more since the DZ does not have to pay for the wear and tear on the rig like the TM does.
If you are at a DZ with Stong tandem rigs and you are Vector certified... your out of luck in taking students out until you get the new rating. Most rating classes are held a few tiems a year in different areas around the country.
"Hey.. Its my camera, and my remote... I'll rewind if I want to!" ~ Goat #2

It is for that reason that many large DZ's have vendor-specific tandem examiners on their staff. If they are a Strong DZ, they have a Strong examiner. They train new guys and cross-train dudes with other ratings so they can get their asses working! I only paid $300 for my first rating, jumps and rig rental included. Other places charge a mint for qualifying first-rig ratings, but not much at all (if anything) to cross-train a guy that is going to be on staff.
Chuck
My webpage HERE

I do not own a Tandem Rig. I jump at DZ's that have gear on which I am rated. Therefore, I keep my Vector, Eclipse, and Sigma ratings current.
If the DZ jumps different Tandem rigs, I either do AFF or just fun jump because I am not in a hurry to get my Strong or Racer ratings.
Some people do own tandem rigs and the DZ does pay extra for the gear "rental". However, most DZ's want you to use the DZ gear and you are just stuck with your rig sitting on the ground.
:::OK, Canopy is Open, No Traffic Around, .. Why are these "Extra" Lines Draping Down??, Damn!

If I bought my own Tandem rig I would consider myself to be a big fat carny ride looser..........

"Don't bad mouth Carnies. Carnies are what built this country. At least the carnie part."
Homer Simpson
flyhiB|
"To understand Mankind, you must look at its two root words; Mank and Ind."

I know a guy who has a new one. And he goes where ever and sometimes picks up a few tandems.
I think he basically just picks up women with it.
Hey - You want to go skydiving?
Ann ~ www.AirAnn.com
New sponsors for 2002!
(temp page for now)

Question for the TMs....
If you go to another DZ and are rated to their equipment, will they let you make a jump with their gear if you pay to rent it?
For instance, you are traveling to CA from FL and you are rated for Vector and that is what the DZ has. Your friend who lives in CA wants to make a tandem with you. Can you just "rent" the tandem gear and then pay for 2 slots?
Or.....would you need your own gear?
Just curious. Thanks! :)JumpinDuo.com...come and sign the guestbook.

Whether visiting tandem instructors can "rent" gear to take up their buddies depends upon DZ policy. Smaller DZs usually say yes, while bigger DZs usually say no. Some DZs, like Perris insist on all instructors and packers peeing in a bottle before being allowed to work with students.