Magistr8

Jump with gloves?

If anycof you jump in cold weather you know how bad it can be during freefall on your exposed skin. I was wonering if anyone else here has this problem and if they ever thought of correcting it by using some sort of gloves.
I currently use leather gloves but my DZO advises against it, what else is out there to solve this
Whoever said comming down from a high was bad, never tried this.
Peter

I was jumping yesterday with James who said you could see your breath
in the plane last week in Gimli, so you definately need gloves.
It was a balmy -16c at altitude here in Edmonton yesterday.
I wear baseball batters gloves, with liners in the winter.
One of the other jumpers uses waterski gloves, they are warm and
they grip well.
Andrew

Mechanics gloves.
They're warm and like a second skin, very good dexterity, the best I've found so far for that. Personally, I hate jumping with gloves due to that one reason, dexterity, but these things are awsome. :)A human cannonball, I rise above it all
Up higher then a trapeze, I can fly

You were jumping in gimili this weekend? I didn't see you there and I was there until 3 pm?! We had the only load done by 1 and it was so damn cold my had was cut from the wind burn. Made steering a real bitch
Peter

Hey Dave I hear you on the dexterity side of things. I was going to jump with my pair that I had but realied that the fingers would get caught in the bag or not release the pilot chute. I've been told that there is a hotpaws type gel pack that you can put on your hands and it is supposed to shield your hands from the effects of windburn.
Peter

magistr8,
Where is your DZO coming from?
Certainly not any Canadian or European DZ I have ever jumped at.
When the weather gets chilly, you need gloves to keep enough blood flowing through your hands that you can pull handles.
USPA doctrine says that students should wear gloves when the air temperature (at exit altitude) is 40 degrees Fahrenheit or below (read close to freezing).
The key in choosing gloves is choosing gloves with thin leather or rubber palms that allow you to identify handles by feel. The leather or rubber should be tacky enough that there is plenty of friction between your hands and the handles or wing strut.
Most jumpers start with thin leather gloves made for golfers or batters. When the weather gets cooler, they slide thin wool liners inside their batting gloves. When the temperature dips below freezing on the ground, they switch to ski gloves or neoprene gloves made for wind-surfing.
I have made hundreds of tandem jumps wearing heavily insulated ski gloves. My ski gloves have plenty of insulation on the backs, but the palms are made of thin leather so I can still indentify handles by feel. My ski gloves even allowed me to identify the god-aweful drogue handles found on first generation Strong tandem rigs.
Remember that gloves are only a small part of the whole process in keeping warm. The world's fanciest gloves are useless if your head is exposed.

I currently use leather gloves but my DZO advises against it

I'd like to hear his reasons for that.
I wear gloves on every skydive, regardless of the weather. Besides keeping your hands warm, gloves protect your hands from sharp edges on the airplane and from getting scratched up on a less than perfect landing.
Currently I'm using tackified leather football receiver gloves; as the weather warms up I'll switch to fingerless leather weight lifting gloves. I've also used baseball batting gloves, and my absolute favorite pair were Isotoner knockoffs (with a Thinsulate lining - warmest gloves I've ever jumped).
pull & flare,
lisa
[subliminal msg]My website Go Now[/subliminal msg]

Wearing gloves is a simple necesity up in the north. I see you're in winipeg, I can't imagine a Canadian DZO telling you not to wear gloves.
In the late spring or early fall I'll usually pull out some mountain biking gloves. They're real thin and just enough to keep the wind off my hands, which is great.
As it gets colder I'll pull out some football gloves. They're warmer, have some insulation, but still small and tight enough that they won't limit my dexterity.
When I jump in februray when there's two feet of snow, I pull out my ski gloves. Yup, those big puffy gortex gloves. I think maybe it's the leather palms, but I practiced finding my handles countless times, and never had a problem. Pulling my handles and getting into my toggles were easy. I can say this with confidence, I had my first cuttaway while wearing big puffy ski gloves.
There's clearly arguments against the big puffy ski gloves, but the football gloves? I would think that it'd be a whole lot more safer to wear those then go bare. Frozen hands can't pull handles.
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

I jump with Neumann summer gloves, I think they run about $39 / pair at Square 1. They are "tackified" which means you get a good grip with them. Neumann also makes a winter glove, I've never worn a pair but judging by the summer glove they should be comfortable and functional. About $47 /pair.
G. Jones
"Why don't they have a light bulb that only shines on things that are worth looking at?"

Good question the same as I had.
Apparantly the leather gloves that I am using are to bulky and would make the pull harder. The gripping, although leather is very good for gripping he says could be pulled and thrown but now away from my body causing a mal.
I think he is being very safe even if a little paranoid
Peter

I love my tackified gloves. They are football reciever gloves and were hard to find (I don't live in a football town) but are worth it. They grip the plane, which is especially good for hanging exits on a cessna. As for dirt, well, yes if you land in the mud (like me!) then the will get quite muddy. But I find that I can clean them easily with a little soap and water and then tackified feeling comes right back. (I use a toothbrush to be thurough, but that's just because I really want the grip)
By the way, I first bough a pair of snowboarding gloves that had tacky rubber on them and I fell off the plane from them while trying to do a hanging exit. They were too thick and my hands lost grip due to the sliding of the linings. Not good.
Thinner is better if you ask me and the foolball receiver glove is perfect! Check out ParaGear for their gloves. You can buy most of the ones they offer in sporing supply stores also.
Life's not worth living if you can't feel alive

I swear by my Nike football gloves 3 seasons of the year. Durning raft dive you need gloves to avoid having the rope cut your hands as it slides around. For the REALLY cold days I use a pair of neoprene gloves that I got at a fishing store. Fishermen swear by then since they are thin enough to play with and feel fishing line, yet can get wet and not get the skin wet. Plus the ones i found were WindStopper's so I barely feel any wind on them as I'm under canopy. So basically I use gloves 4 seasons...
If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will....

Alex, I'm happy with my tackified gloves and wouldn't trade them. I've tried Adidas w/out the tackification (is that aword? :P) and didn't care for them. The palms will hold dirt, but are easy to clean.
G. Jones
"Why don't they have a light bulb that only shines on things that are worth looking at?"

How warm are the gloves though. What they advertise and the actual results can very greatly and being here in the peg I will need something that I know will keep my hands warm. Is there reviews somewhere?
Peter

I've been jumping all winter in SE Wisconsin - while it's been a mild winter, it still got well below 0F at 10,500 (-18 was the coldest I think we jumped at, according to the planes' thermometer-) I wear a pair of Nike receiver's gloves, the cold weather version with tackified palms. They're nice and sticky. I also pulled a pair of thin cotton liners on underneath. No problem finding handles- My hands were actually sweating under the gloves on a couple jumps. Some folks also used neoprene fishing gloves also - great results- VERY warm-

I've got Nike football reciever gloves. They fit good and tight and dont take away much dexterity, but they don't do much in the real cold. I wear those stretchy knitted gloves underneath them when it's really cold, but they really only keep me warm during freefall. Once my arms are over my head under canopy, my hands get really cold right away. I've been told it's because your hands don't get as much blood flowing when they're over your head. Guess that could be it. I saw an ad for those mechanics gloves the other day and they looked pretty good. I've also seen motorcross gloves that looked good but I haven't tried anything else. I jumped at cross keys during the last freeze fest when it was in the 30s on the ground. My hands were purple when I landed.
Dave
http://www.skydivingmovies.com

i got my neuman (spelling??) gloves from mc sports, and they were only $30. They work great. I can't imagine how I would have made some of the jumps I have without those gloves, my hands would have fallen off. when I was on student statues, I couldn't wear gloves and one time my hands almost completely numb at pull. I just hoped I had the handle in my hand.
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.

You were jumping in Gimli this weekend?

James (little dude, ex military) was jumping in Gimli..... last weekend
We were jumping in Westlock (Edmonton Skydive Centre).... Yesterday
The DZO was probably referring to the type of gloves you were wearing.
You definately need gloves jumping in Canada in the winter.
Andrew

Is there reviews somewhere?

I've never jumped with the Neumann winter gloves, and I would guess about the coldest its been at exit was 10-15 degrees farenheit with the summer gloves, and they kept my hands from going numb. You may want to post this question on the Gear and Rigging forum for better/ more informed results. Good luck!
G. Jones

Neumans are great in the winter (if you get the cold weather ones, otherwise the summer ones constrict your fingers and reduce bloodflow i.e. cold!) but I found a great pair of Isotoner off-brands at Walmart for about $10. Thinsulate lining and suede palm and finger grips made for easy RW and JM duties.
;)