sumadoggie

AFF Cutaway

So, I'm an AFF student and on my level 7 jump yesterday I deployed and had an uncontrolled right turn. Was spinning at about 45 degrees off vertical, I guess. Couldn't see anything wrong with the canopy. Slider was all the way down. Brakes were stowed. Grabbed the toggels and pumped them a few times and nothing happened. Pulled down on left toggel to try to straighten the flight and nothing happened. Screw it. Cutaway. Not to glorify the situation, but I had perma-grin across my face for about an hour after landing the reserve. Kudos to my AFF teachers and jumpmasters for readying me for the mal! (Hopped and popped the Level 8 jump from 5500 and had about a foot and a half of line twist. Didn't bother to cutaway that one. :-)) Anyone else out there have cutaway stories from training jumps? Also, I'm taking donations for all the booze I owe the DZ and master rigger for the cutaway, reserve ride, etc.

Did your instructors find anything suggesting what type mal you had?
Congrats on handling the cutaway. I have 173 Free Falls and 72 military S/L and haven't opened a reserve on purpose yet. KNOCK ON HEAD VIGOROUSLY....:)"It's all about the BOOBIES!"

Being such a newbie I guess I don't really understand the significance of having the cutaway this early in my skydiving life. However, I had no apprehension of getting back up for the AFF graduation hop 'n' pop. I must say that the cutaway was a good deal more... special to me than my first jump. It let me know that all the dirt diving I did with my instructors and by myself let me respond to the situation with a completely cool head... and then I landed and started to do backflips. (Not literally, but... well... you know.)

Get it over with? Um... on every jump I'm counting on cutting away and if I don't its a big perk...

I meant the first cutaway Phree. Yes, always expect a cutaway but a lot of people are really nervous when they first start skydiving because they do not want to have a cutaway. Know what I mean?

Caveman lawyer not understand big terms like "beat the RSL to your silver."

It's ok, you almost can never do that anyway unless you pull things in the wrong order.
What he was referring to was the Reserve Static Lanyard. It's connected to your main parachute and as you cut away it pulls your reserve cable & pin which releases your reserve parachute. Happens almost instantaneously so for all practical purposes, there's almost no way to "beat" it by pulling your reserve handle, ya know, the "silver" one.
So, why pull the silver at all? Well, you should never assume that things like RSLs will save your life. Maybe it wasn't hooked up on the rig you were jumping, so, if you waited for the RSL, you could do that all the way to the ground -- bad. Same thing with the Cypres. If you have them installed, be aware of how they function and act appropriately.
quade
http://futurecam.com

did you beat the RSL to your silver?

The ONLY way to do this is to pull the silver before the cutaway. You only have to fall 2 feet for the RSL to pull the pin. If you can have the pin pulled before you have fallen more then 2 feet.... thats DAMN impressive and one hell of a way to pull the handles in the wrong order.
If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will....

Caveman lawyer not understand big terms like "beat the RSL to your silver."

He's asking if the RSL (Reserve Static Line) deployed your reserve or if you beat the RSL to it by pulling your reserve ripcord before it had a chance. I think it's highly unlikely you were able to beat the RSL to the punch.
Did you manage to hang on to your handles or did you toss them? ;)
Congrats on handling the situation well!
Blues,
Trey

**He's asking if the RSL (Reserve Static Line) deployed your reserve or if you beat the RSL to it by pulling your reserve ripcord before it had a chance. I think it's highly unlikely you were able to beat the RSL to the punch.**
thanks for clearing that up :) personally, i have never had to cut-away, come close...and i do fly an RSL, sometimes, but in the event i do have to iniate emergency procedures (and i will have to one day) my procedures are to pull "all" of the handles! in the proper sequence.

Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"