ChromeBoy

Base Jumping

Base jumping seems like a great sport to begin but it will be awhile before I can afford new gear. For all you Base Jumpers out there I have a few questions for you...
1. When completing your first jump what was your thought process before taking the step off the BASE? Was it a similiar feeling to your first skydive or were you even more nervous?
2. What research do you do for the cliffs, etc to determine the best place for jumping? Besides just going to the popular places.
3. What is the lowest altitude you can base jump and still be safe?
4. What is the major differences between base rigs and regular skydiving rigs that allows the canopy to be deployed quicker?
5. What websites do you recommend on the sport?
Thanks,
Don't Drink and Post...

>1. When completing your first jump what was your thought process before taking
> the step off the BASE?
"This has got to be the stupidest thing I've ever done . . ."
>2. What research do you do for the cliffs, etc to determine the best place for
> jumping? Besides just going to the popular places.
Cliffs really aren't the best for your first few jumps. Find an expert in your area and talk to him.
>3. What is the lowest altitude you can base jump and still be safe?
Been done from 80 feet. My lowest is 230 feet.
>4. What is the major differences between base rigs and regular skydiving rigs
> that allows the canopy to be deployed quicker?
-No slider for very low
-Mesh slider for sorta low
-Free toggles to deal with lineovers
-Tailpocket for faster on heading deployments
-Larger PC for more drag
-Longer bridle for better PC launches
-bill von

Bill I have a Tailgate installed on my Mojo also.....tends to help control the lines too.....
as for the first time I jumped...I was amazingly calm...it wasn't untill after it was over did I say that was the stupidist thing I've ever done...
Cheers
marc
"it's hard to be anal with no anus!!!"-Dogma

1. When completing your first jump what was your thought process before taking the step off the BASE? Was it a similiar feeling to your first skydive or were you even more nervous?"

I was much more nervous. The "This is the stupidest thing I've ever done" comment is pretty much right on. I remember I used to say I"ll never do hook turns. Then it became I'll never BASE jump. Then I'll never do a gainer. Then I'll never do a gainer under 500 ft. All in what you are comfortable with :)

2. What research do you do for the cliffs, etc to determine the best place for jumping? Besides just going to the popular places.

I've just been to popular places like Moab. Only 300-500 ft cliffs for me so far.

3. What is the lowest altitude you can base jump and still be safe?

I did a 170 ft B last weekend. 5 Second canopy ride. I've kind of grown tired of those types of jumps though.

4. What is the major differences between base rigs and regular skydiving rigs that allows the canopy to be deployed quicker?

No bag (instead the lines are stowed on a tail pocket, no slider (massively fast bottom skin inflation), for higher jumps even terminal you use a mesh slider. Larger pilot chutes too.

http://www.blincmagazine.com/forum
Read everything on that site. Even the bickering. After that get a packing video and learn to pack. Then go hang out with local jumpers and drive hours to sites to ground crew (read sit around for a while). If they see you have dedication to do that they may take you. Or just take a 1st jump course like http://www.basicresearch.com or http://www.crmojo.com offer.

1. When completing your first jump what was your thought process before taking the step off the BASE? Was it a similiar feeling to your first skydive or were you even more nervous?

Look red, pull red, look silver.... er nevermind

http://www.baselogic.com/
http://www.ground-rush.com/base.htm
--
Give them a sip of the darkside, and they just thirst for more.

So basically if I purchased a base container I could use my PD reserve? Does the size of the canopy matter?

I have seen large PD reservers used, but off of a 280 ft object the thing was still pressurizing on landing. Super Ravens are decent for BASE but I still feel much more comfortable with a BASE specific canopy with reinforced bridle attachments and all that.
About the size question, as any chick will tell you "size matters a lot". Do you want to be screaming in downtown between buildings with cars, light poles, parking decks, etc? Or screaming at the rock wall you just jumped off of? An impact with a wall on even a lightly loaded canopy can mess you up badly, so it stands to reason to get a larger one to slow you down as much as possible.
PS I'm selling a complete base rig with no risers or pilot chutes for $600. Its a super raven 240 with 80 jumps and a vision container with about the same jumps.

Think like 250+ sq feet... as a starting point. I'm looking at a Troll or Mojo 280 something for my 170 pound body when ever I get into base...
If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will....