CatBurger

Skydiving Speech

I'm gonna be doing a speech about skydiving at a club this saturday. Anyoe got any ideas on what to write and talk about? The audience will be people who have absolutely no clue about skydiving other than you jump out of a plane and usually dont go splat....

I had to do a informative speech in my communications class this year. i did it on skydiving. i basically talked about some of the ways you can get into the sport (Tandem, AFF, Static, etc.) and some of the disciplines involved (RW, CReW, Freefly/Style, etc.) Believe me, no matter what you say about skydiving, people will listen, because the subject is very intriguing to them. (And they look up to you a bit too :) ).
----------
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he doesn't exist!"

definately focus on the NOT going splat part :)Seriously, maybe you could answer all the typical whuffo questions with your own personal answers like why do you skydive? Isn't it scary? Isn't it expensive? What do you like about it? Ooo, and I love a good first jump story, so I bet they will too. That stuff. I mean you could talk about history, and gear progression and safety and stuff too but that personal stuff might be more interesting.
My .02
Gale
Life's not worth living if you can't feel alive

You need to dispell myths about the sport.......
Talk about diferrent discaplines (freeflying, crew, rw)
Explain that as you exit an aircraft from 12-15 K You will not have a stomach droping sensation like on a rollercoaster and that you will not see the ground rushing at you. Explain it as if skydiving where flying instead of falling. Explain the the basics of the gear (two canopies - aad - etc.) and methods of training (AFF, Tandem, Static Line). Explain the family sensation at the DZ. Try to depick us in a good light............Keep it humorus and light........You prolly don't need to teach the whole first jump course.
Just some ideas, though I might be full of it;).......
Sebazz........

Here are some disciplines:
RW - Relative work. Those are the people who fly 2 dimensionally on their bellies facing the earth. If you have ever seen pictures of people forming formation, they are doing relative work. They try to all conect to each other and then for differen formations.
Freefly - Those are the poeple that fly looking like they are sitting ro with their head towards the earth. They fly 3D, meaning they can go anywhere they want in the sky, and do what ever they want
FreeStyle - Those are the people that try to fly through they air as elegantly as possible. It's kind of like ballet in the air
CReW - canopy realtive work - these people try to stack their canopies on top of one another making formations
Swoop - these people try to fly their canopies at high speeds over a body of water (usuallY) at very high speeds, touching the water with their feet.
Skysurfing - flying with a surf board attached...
Hope this gives you a little light into the world of skydiving...
----------
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he doesn't exist!"

i'm entertaining the idea of writing, and presenting a speech on political science at the next republican convention. ;) SYCH! everyone here knows i am NOT a politician, and don't know dick about politics. :D :D
Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"

Tell them its a lot like sex, its fun to do all the time, its fun to do by yourself, its even more fun to do it with someone or a group of people and remember, the amount of fun does depend on the partner you have...;):D
Aerials
So up high
When you free your lives (the) eternal prize

hell, i just gave a 5 minute speech on skydiving just the other day for a class i went to for work...supposed to learn how to become a "better presenter".
anyhow, they told us that you should try to answer the first 3 questions that would come to mind to any general audience member, aka wuffo. the 3 i used are below.
1. why jump out of a perfectly good airplane?
2. isn't that dangerous?
3. isn't that expensive?
make sure you have a clear purpose...inform, inspire, motivate, or something else. it really shouldn't be that hard, i had to cut mine short due to rambling!
--- wearing freefly pants is not a crime ---
billo

It might be a good idea to print off some slides of the different disciplines and of the different types of training.
Also a description of the equipment that we use, a lot of people still think that we use round parachutes
There are plenty of pictures out there on the internet.
Good luck and let us know how it went.
=================================
I can smell your brains !
=================================

Believe me, no matter what you say about skydiving, people will listen, because the subject is very intriguing to them. (And they look up to you a bit too :) ).

I must be doing it wrong. Most of the whuffos I talk to about the sport would prefer that I shut the hell up and pretty much think I'm a thrill-seeking dork. Can't really argue with the dork part. :D
FallRate