Emmie

Jumping with a cold

So the weather here sucked ass for the past week, so my last jump was almost a week and a half ago. Tomorrow should be awesome, but I have the worst cold. I'm completely stuffed up. But I really really need to jump. Have any of you guys jumped with a cold before? What's the worst that could happen? Maybe if I take anycongestion meds it won't be as bad.

What's the worst that could happen?

Severe pain. I've jumped with a stuffed up head and ended up with my ear hurting for weeks afterward - sharp, intense pain. I've heard that you can do major damage to your ears, but I'm not a doctor so I don't know exactly what or why.... I just know that I don't jump when I have a bad cold anymore.
pull & flare,
lisa
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda sez

The worst that can happen?? I blew out both my eardrums while i was a student.....spent two days experiencing vertigo (which is only fun for the first two minutes).....had to sit for a month....then only hop and pops for another month.....
Anne
crabs are only bad when you go down on someone and get them in your eyelashes-sunshine

Having a stuffy head has never caused me a problem.. I think the fact that I scuba dived and the ear drums might have something to do with it? Strong ear drums I guess? My ears equalize really easily.
I could be full of shit? But I jump with a stuffy head whenever I have one..
Blue Skies ..... ;)

I have jumped with minor colds before - no worries. I made the mistake of jumping after sinusitus and that HURT! I could not hear properly for 2 weeks. Horrid n nasty. If you have slight sinus congestion, don't jump!
A hop and pop may be ok, but lets face it, if you have a bad cold you don't feel up for much anyway.

I had a cold the very first jump I did and it was the worst pain I have ever felt. I ended up having to go to the doctor to get pain meds. It lasted for about two weeks. It almost cost me my hearing.
I would wait...
"Death smiles upon everybody, all a man can do is smile back"
~Jason

I have jumped with a cold several times. The first time I had several sinus headaches under canopy only did 3 jumps that day. Last time about a month ago the pain centered in the left sinus cavity and I got the MOST intense toothache I have ever had. That time I did five jumps (one was an evaluation dive for my coach rating), at 4000 AGL every jump was very intense tooth pain. I found out later that I had pushed an infection into one of my rear molars (the root went into the left sinus cavity) and I ended in having to pull that molar. So there can be far reaching consequence that we may not see when jumping when you are stuffed up from a cold
Blue Skies
Kirk

perhaps I haven't had a severe enough cold to experience these oains, but the only problems I have had with jumping with a cold is the snot that ends up on my goggles.
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.

i've done it several times, i'm a dumbass i know... and yes it hurts. decongestants do help though, lately i took tylenol cold and it helped quite a bit.
when i do have a cold, basically i can't hear anymore, my ears hurt like crazy, and i've gotten a toothache once as well... sometimes my nose has felt like it was going to explode, not a cool feeling. but anyway, if its not too bad, try some sudafed or something, should definately relieve some of the shit that happens. C YA!
Blue Skies,
Brittany S!
D-24752