prepheckt

Flying Commercial

Okay, I'm going to be flying to Arkansas in about a week, and I want to take my rig with me (no gear bag, very little $$). What's the best way to do it so I don't get hassled by security? Should I let them check it, or should I carry on?
Thanks and Blue ones

Try and check in way early.
Stick it in a suitcase and check it in would be my pref, especially on direct flights with no transfers.
If you are nervous about putting it in the hold, tell the check in people that it is a very valuable piece of sporting equipment, and you need for your job as a professional skydiving coach...or some other flimm flamm like that......
If you take it into the cabin, make sure you tie a brightly coloured pull up round the res handle, so it don't accidentally get popped, you may have to give to one of the cabin attendants.
Be careful of any knives that may be mounted on your rig, they are a no no in the cabin.
If you have a cypres, remember to take the wee card of the x-ray.
Do not sass the security people, be polite, but don't mention its a parachute unless specifically asked.
Dress 'respectable' whatever that means......
Happy trails...Bon voyage.
Cya
D
GR# 37
"I don't believe that kindness is a weakness"

I just flew with mine as carry on in a gear bag over Memorial Day weekend. Was really no big deal, on the way up I didn't get one look. On the way back I got stopped in security, they asked if parachutes were allowed as carry-on, I replied yes, and was on my way.
I would reccomend tieing a pullup cord around the reserve handle because of the random searches as you board the plane, in case you aren't paying attention for a second while one person is prodding you with the metal detecting wand and the other is pulling on all the shiny stuff on your rig.
Bring the Cypres card if you have one, and if they ask, it measures altitude and releases the reserve parachute. No it doesn't have CO2... (Don't mention the words cutter, explosive charge, yadda yadda)
--
Come to the dark side

>Okay, I'm going to be flying to Arkansas in about a week, and I want to take my
> rig with me (no gear bag, very little $$). What's the best way to do it so I don't
> get hassled by security?
1. Put it in _something_ (even a suitcase) if you want to carry it on. In my experience it helps prevent hassle.
2. If you want to check it, put it in a plastic bag so if your luggage gets wet, it won't.
-bill von

Wear a turbin, hold onto the bag with both hands and get irate if anyone gets near it, look nervous, and sweat a lot......you shouldn't have any problems.

That is the best way to travel. You should send that the the U.S.P.A. so they can add that to their list Clay!:)Blue Dreams,
Nathan

Finally something I can answer.
You need to CARRY IT ON THE PLANE, DO NOT CHECK IT!!!!!! Everything I ever experienced with commercial air travel (500 segments, 500K miles in 3 years, aka ROAD WARRIOR) tells me NEVER NEVER NEVER check anything of value.
Things to make you life easier:
1. Make sure all knives are out, check those; if they lose them it is no big deal.
2. Get to the airport early, be at security 1.5 hours before your flight. When you go though security it is likely you are going to get snagged. Put the rig in a some kind of bag to minimize this chance, but xray is going to see it and want to inspect it anyway.
3. Put a huge sign "DO NOT PULL!!!!" on the reserve handle and tie it down for added safety.
4. Bring the Cypres card if you have one, and if they ask, it measures altitude and releases the reserve parachute. No it doesn't have CO2... (Don't mention the words cutter, explosive charge, yadda yadda) Exactly what spy said.
5. If you get flack do the following
a. Be calm, don't get all fired up.
b. Ask to have the FAA REP or the head of security come over. Explain things to the REP and everything should be ok. Usually Joe security does not have a clue. If they do give you a hard time, do not let them bully you and keep you from taking it on onboard, if you run into problems here ask for the airline rep and start again. This make take some time so defiantly error on the safe side, who knows they may be asleep and not even notice but error on the safe side.
Good Luck and let us know how it went.
Robert

Oh Bill never thought of wrapping it in a plastic bag........You're My Hero! *Sings here he comes to save the day.....*
I have traveled extensively with my rig and have always checked it. It went through and x-ray machine once and I was asked what it was. "A sport parachute" was the answer. No problem. I am traveling again in a couple of weeks with a sport rig as well as a base rig........don't expect there to be any hassles except I may have to pay for it being overweight. (Since both that and my personal stuff will prolly exceed the 70 lbs.) I can't help it...........I'm a woman, I need more than one pair of shoes. ;)
Bwahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
*&(%&^*&)(.
Cheers
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

quote]...........I'm a woman, I need more than one pair of shoes.
And hair dryer, curling iron, 8 brushes, 36 lbs of eyeliner,rouge, mascara, fingernail polish, and on and on and on.........
the INTERNET comes in any color you'd like

who would WANT to fly on a plane with SEATS?
the only reason I know of to do that is to get to another place that has a plane WITHOUT seats!
Have fun, Live free, SKYDIVE!!
http://community.webshots.com/user/jtval100
p.s. do you think they would LET you sit on the floor if you told them you are a skydiver? hey it could save you some jump $$