kevin922

May be job looking today...

Well as some of you may or may not know, I have been working for the ever so famous WorldCom for the past 6 years. Today is the day for those who have not heard, the big layoff day. I will find out in 1 hr if I am here to stay or here to go.. (I'm pretty sure i'm going).. I've been trying to find a job for a month now and it's quite tough.. amazing for someone wiht as much computer security experience as me.. ho hum.

I remember someone else going through this a while back, I've been checking dice, monster, flipdog, careerbuilder, and hotjobs - anyone know any other hints for the DC Metro area?

Thanks for your help!

Kevin

Kevin,

Ouch. That sounds crappy. You and Zennie could start a DZ.com support group, with both Worldcom and Enron represented. [:/]

I'm in DC, and I got my computer job from an ad in the Washington Post. Sometimes the old fashioned way works. That said, the job market is much rougher here now then it was then. I know some other compugeeks that are looking for work as well.

I'll keep my eyes open and let you know if I spot anything. Any preferences as to location you'd be willing to work in? No. Va., DC, MD?

Good luck man!

Sorry to hear about that, Kevin. They say it's not what you know, but who you know. Think of who you can start networking with. Are there any kind of meetings you can go to, like a Business After Hours type thing?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I'm in DC, and I got my computer job from an ad in the Washington Post. Sometimes the old fashioned way works. That said, the job market is much rougher here now then it was then. I know some other compugeeks that are looking for work as well.

I'll keep my eyes open and let you know if I spot anything. Any preferences as to location you'd be willing to work in? No. Va., DC, MD?

Good luck man!

NOVA and DC are the areas i'm looking. Computer security is my expertise (tracking hackers, penetration testing, etc) ... Guess i'll start looking in the paper.

And btw, I did get laid off :(

Good Luck Kev... Having gone thru the laid off gig last summer, I understand the feeling. Personally, I've usually had the best success with DICE. The thing you have to remember and plan for is that for every job posting, a hiring manager can get up to 500 (I'm a hiring mgr and literally had that many for an L1 position) resumes for a position. the ratio is probably not as high in your expertise but still, I'm sure there are a lot of people stretching things just to get their foot in the door. Make yours stand out
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

YO KEV

Post your resume or attach it. I know some folks who do computer security and might need ya! They can atleast check around with their contacts too.

No problem! B|

---
** Blue Skies, Yellow Mustard. **
It's like a farmer, out-standing in his field.

NO WAY!!! Yor're a hiring manager !?!?!

Fuck dude, you didn't tell me that. Now get me a freakin job.

Actually, I just got off the phone with NetApp for a potential Network Administrator position. I believe I Aced the phone interview.

/me waiting patiently for a call to setup interview.

I think I did quite well, thank you very much.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

Best of luck to you.

The 19th of this month was the first anniversary of the day I became gainfully unemployed:| I wasn't with Worldcom, though; I was with the ever popular Computer Associates:$.

Anyone need an experienced mainframe guru? Will work, but not cheap;).

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

Now there's an idea.....My bosses boss is a chic. She isn't overly attractive but not ugly either. Hmmmm.......

That sounds like a lack of beer talking.;)
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

Uh.. excuse me.. but I do remember talking with Steve and Karen about LLNL and other positions... did you drink too much of that beer I asked you to hold?
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

No the one you were bitching about and STILL holding when I came back an hour later...
But uh, you do make a good wench BTW ;)