GLIDEANGLE

Jettisoned articles - Hazard to folks on the ground?

Replying to the OP....

Last year at Summerfest at SDC, a student cut away, tossing her handles. Apparently the sky wasn't so big for a fisherman below, as it hit him on the head. I never heard any follow up to it, but I do remember when the cop came in with the handle.

Also.. Just 3 weeks ago while walking to the plane, a helmet impacted just 10 feet in front of us. It hit square on the runway and literally bounced 20 feet back into the air. It was one of those odd situations where everyone had been standing around and I thought to myself, "why aren't they walking to the plane?" .... Had they been walking to the plane I am absolutely cirtain one of them would have been hit by that helmet.... :o

ps. the helmet was a Z1 that experienced a violent riser slap on deployment (I am not convinced she had it buclked down or not). Helmet must have fallen 3,000 feet... anyone know what terminal velocity of a Z1 is?:P

I could see a camera helmet doing some serious damage to somebody if they were struck in the right [wrong?] way. That said, it's not like somebody could put a little "reserve" round in their helmet in case of a helmet cutaway. Premature deployment = decapitation.

Sure you can. It has been done for a long time now. I don't remember the name of the helmet and don't know if the same company even makes helmets anymore. The Canopy was stored in the helmet, not outside so it can't deploy unless the helmet is taken off. The canopy in the helmet just layed pretty flat on the top of the head where the impact foam is.

A release system cutaway the chin cup and you held it as you tossed the helmet. A short lanyard was attached to the small d-bag the round canopy was in.Optionally the lanyard could be attached to the chest strap. Remove the helmet and throw it.

Jesse Rodriquez, previous owner of the dz in Marina CA, had one. He actually lost one from a super hard opening and the camera filmed the entire descent then focused on the grass when it landed.

Smaller Skysurf boards have a recovery chute contained on the board itelf. Larger light boards don't have recovery chutes.

The canopy in the helmet just layed flat and on the top of the head.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

FTP = Flat Top Pro

That's about what I've been thinking with mine. The PC would be inside of the helmet where it couldn't get out unless the helmet was removed.

That said, in a severe entanglement situation, I could see a deployed PC/bridle in the helmet causing big problems. With a bad entanglement, the helmet may not immediately leave the jumper. There are lines and fabric everywhere. Suddenly adding something extra to the mix could make everything worse.

Worst case scenario, what if the helmet only came off by a foot or so? It's still right next to the jumper, the bridle slips down around the jumper's neck and...

So what I'm trying to put together is something that will more or less "delay" the deployment of the PC once the cutaway handle is pulled. In other words, it stays as a closed system for a few seconds after it's been removed. If the jumper is low enough that the delay is too great... well... they have other [more important] things to worry about.

It's not a product, just me messing around.

Anyway, I'm sorry for pulling the thread astray.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

ps. the helmet was a Z1 that experienced a violent riser slap on deployment (I am not convinced she had it buclked down or not). Helmet must have fallen 3,000 feet... anyone know what terminal velocity of a Z1 is?:P

About 50 mph. Z1's falling off are actually pretty common. I am impressed the pro track still worked after impact, though.

Z1's falling off are actually pretty common. I am impressed the pro track still worked after impact, though.

Never Heard of one coming off. Done over 1000 jumps with mine. Never had a problem!
“It takes ten years to get ten years’ experience” Eric "tonto" Stephenson D515 PASA

I lost a Z1 once with a riser slap. Several times it came halfway off. During the Texas Women's Bigway record last year, the helmet was kicked halfway off on exit. I shoved it back down but didn't notice that the visor was up. I had to hold my slot without a visor for the entire skydive. It makes me grateful that I had a helmet on and wasn't hit on the head. Each time it was fastened correctly.
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

Searches on this topic have been fruitless.

I have read from time to time about shedding gear such as a camera or a camera helmet to clear an entanglement during freefall or canopy flight. It seems to me that these shed articles pose a life threatening risk to folks on the ground.

Of course, these items are most often shed to save the life of the jumper. So I imagine that there is a balancing of the risk of near certian death of the jumper vs a remote risk of injury or death of someone on the ground.

I would be appreciative to see comments, stories, opinions, or scary photos related to the risk that jettisoned articles pose to individuals on the ground.

Thanks!

I realize that your question focused around hard (fast falling) objects, but ANY object should be a consideration...

My DZ is along a road. I like to do intentional cut-aways. My spot always errs away from the road and runway. (and usually I have a jumper following it)

Even those flying tubes need to consider the actions of a driver who suddenly finds himself with your fabric draped over his car.

Y'all be careful out there...

JW

PS - and when you do drop something where you did not plan to, go with apologies and humility to get it. Demanding your property when it landed on a neighbors land does not keep good neighbors. Doubly so when it was potentially hazardous to them. Finally, do not assume that because YOU had an emergency, that they will understand the (perceived) danger to them, their property, or their livestock. An apology can go along way, no matter the "why".
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

I very-clearly remember at least two companies offering that option. Hansen was one.

Hansen also offered the, "Glue your camera helmet to your head" option... RiggerRob can tell you about that one... :P

Anyway, I too recall seeing the "camera helmet with pilot chute" option a few years back, but nothing since. I never saw one up close, but basically it looked like one took a pilot chute and birdle, hooked it to the inside of your helmet, stuff all that inside before putting it on your head, then, if you jettisoned the helmet in freefall, the PC would find itself out and gently lower your helmet to the ground.

I very-clearly remember at least two companies offering that option. Hansen was one.

I remember now. Does Heller Helmets ring a bell? I found some referrences to Heller but no active links.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

A funny and a not so funny couple of stories...

At a demo I once had a guy approach me with an M-18 pin in his hand claiming I'd dropped it from altitude and that it hit him on the shoulder.

He showed be a 2 or 3 day old bruise with a pretty good size welt on it...he wanted a couple hundred bucks to not sue! :S

I showed him my smoke container that has several stainless steel pins sewn into it, attached to the container itself so there is no possible way I could have dropped a pin...much less one of a type I didn't even USE! :P

On another demo we had a new vidiot that dropped a Sony TR-7 (large size) battery from altitude...it impacted 3 feet in front of the crowd line, well away from our opening point.

How and why it came off I still don't know, but a very nice lady in the crowd showed it to me in front of her and her young children, it had 'gone it' to the grass about 3 inches...I have no doubt it would have killed or injured someone had it hit them...gave the camera guy his walking papers that evening.[:/]

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

He showed be a 2 or 3 day old bruise with a pretty good size welt on it...he wanted a couple hundred bucks to not sue! :S

LOL. I have a vision of that guy going to every event he could find that featured a demo. He probably has his wife whack him in the shoulder with a ball bat a couple of days before, then shows up with the "smoking pin". Hopefully, she's still beating him and the demo jumpers are still telling him to shove that pin up his ass.;)

Kevin