bodypilot90

uspa meeting

ok gang here's what the uspa did for you (or to you)
right from the uspa's web site
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The summer meeting of the USPA Board of Directors adjourned Sunday, July 14 at around 3:00 p.m. A full report will appear in the September issue of Parachutist. Some highlights:

The 2003 USPA National Skydiving Championships will take place at Florida Skydiving Center in Lake Wales. The 2003 Collegiate Nationals will also be held in Lake Wales.

The USPA Board approved the purchase of property for a new USPA Headquarters near Fredericksburg, Virginia, pending legal review of favorable terms and conditions.

USPA now requires anyone making tandem jumps to be at least the age of legal majority, which is 18 in most states. A last-minute waiver was issued for 18-year-olds and up in Alabama and Mississippi, where it is believed the age of legal majority is higher.

Following a comment period lasting several months, the USPA Instructional Rating Manual was approved pending Safety & Training Committee review of a final draft. Distribution is scheduled for September.

Proposed updates to the 2003 Skydiver's Information Manual were also approved. Distribution is also scheduled for September.

In the USPA Basic Safety Requirements, the minimum tandem jump opening altitude was raised from 4,000 to 4,500 feet.

The privileges of the USPA Coach were extended to include training freefall skills and conducting jumps for students cleared to freefall self-supervision.

USPA dues will increase $5 in January, due to soaring insurance costs, postage increases and other rising expenses.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What do you think? Do you care?
Bill

Lake Wales could offer a slightly later season like first week of November, I'm sure not many teams would mind the longer training season from up north. Sebastian was a bit wet... lets hope Lake Wales is better since Its not on the coast.

>The privileges of the USPA Coach were extended to include training freefall skills and conducting jumps for students cleared to freefall self-supervision.
This helps a bit, but I'm I reading this right that after the graduation jumps the coach can step in and teach? Is'nt that what they were to be doing anyways?

> USPA Instructional Rating Manual was approved pending Safety & Training Committee review of a final draft.
Any mention of just an update sheet being made for all those people that spent 30 on the old manual?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Any mention of just an update sheet being made for all those people that spent 30 on the old manual?

Since it's also available by download for free, I've often wondered who's shelling out $30 bucks for a printed version?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Lake Wales could offer a slightly later season like first week of November . . .

Grrr. This idea of changing the date of Nationals to suit the dropzone kinda pisses me off. It was changed this year and now gives us a slightly shorter season. Changing it to a slightly later season is really going to screw things up. Especially if it gets pushed into anywhere between Halloween and New Years. Arrrgh.

Of course, that's just me.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I would like to think that the same punishment would be used. Unfortunately in a male driven society such as this one I doubted it would be the case

Just wondeing why you think this?? i am not trying to start an argument or anything. I liked it when it was 16 with parent consent i have been looking forward to when my step daughter turns 16 she would have been able to go and do a tandem. she loves skydiving, and can propack with the best of them, but is only 14. i was really looking forward to when she turns 16, now she has to wait till she is 18.
when i was a kid my dad was racing for a living but to get into the pits you had to be 16, when i turned 15 nascar raised the age to 18, then i turn 18 and nascar raised the age to 21. is this were USPA is heading??? it just seems ashame that it has to be this way.

if fun were easy it wouldn't be worth having, right?

Because the things that were on the site were only a portion of the book. They left the offical exam sheets off the page and you have to use the official sheets to mail in. My course director told us no photo copies were allowed. Plus the web stuff was only about 80% of the book the rest you had to pay for.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Just wondeing why you think this?? i am not trying to start an argument or anything. I liked it when it was 16 with parent consent i have been looking forward to when my step daughter turns 16 she would have been able to go and do a tandem. she loves skydiving, and can propack with the best of them, but is only 14. i was really looking forward to when she turns 16, now she has to wait till she is 18.
when i was a kid my dad was racing for a living but to get into the pits you had to be 16, when i turned 15 nascar raised the age to 18, then i turn 18 and nascar raised the age to 21. is this were USPA is heading??? it just seems ashame that it has to be this way.

i copied this from the uninsured relative workshop website. i think it explains the consenquences of underage tandem jumps very well. although i'm not so sure the felony child abuse thing would be that big a problem.

Every drop zone I've been to requires each and every person who boards an aircraft to sign an Assumption of Risk Agreement. We do this because experience has taught us that these "Waivers" are often the only protection we have in case of a lawsuit. Simply put, they are the only reason we can still skydive in the USA.

However, there is a growing group of DZ operators who have determined that they are no longer going to make everyone who jumps sign a valid waiver. I am of course talking about those operators who are planning to take up "under-age" students on tandem jumps on a commercial basis. (Having the under-age student, both parents and grandparents, and all other living relatives sign a "waiver" will NOT make it valid.)

Some of these operators have told me that it is a risk they are willing to take. Good for them! The problem is that the risk they take is not theirs alone. If anything goes wrong, many other people and organizations will also be sued... and I don't feel anyone has a right to risk my business, or PD's or USPA's for that matter.

For instance, a single lawsuit involving a USPA Tandem Master, jumping a Cypres equipped Vector tandem, with a PD reserve, and a Strong main, with no valid waiver, would most likely result in the end of Relative Workshop, PD, Strong Enterprises, Airtec, and USPA. Plus, of course, the foolish Drop Zone that was willing to "take the risk." If you haven't yet been sued for $10,000,000, then you don't have the right to say this is unrealistic. It is not only realistic, it is a near certainty. Think what would happen to our sport with all those companies gone.

And then there's the problem of the cute, giggling, 16-year-old girl, who after her jump reports to mommy, "that big ugly man touched my boobies." Behavior that might be overlooked as simply "flirting" with an adult student now becomes felony child abuse. Add children to the close physical contact necessary to make a tandem jump, and there is little doubt that this type of situation will result.

But won't I pass up a lot of money by not taking kids up on tandem? In the long run, the answer is NO. Face it. Most people make only one jump in their lifetime. Whether thy make it at 16 or 18 doesn't make you any more money. Besides, unless daddy owns the DZ, very few children can afford to keep jumping anyway. And one single lawsuit will cost you more than the profit gained from a lifetime of taking up children on tandem jumps.

The risk is simply much greater than the reward. Fight the temptation, and please make the right decision for all of us.

Blue Skies,
Bill Booth

maybe your dzo will make an exception for you since you're a jumper. if not you may have to get your own tandem rig and rating. but then again what better way to share the entire experience with your step daugher.

levin
vSCS# 3
grat# 40

maybe your dzo will make an exception for you since you're a jumper. if not you may have to get your own tandem rig and rating.

Course you'd be risking that rating and rig by taking her up before she's 18.

If the dzo will let her jump at 16, have her do a static line, IAD or AFF jump. Takes more huevos than a tandem, and after the jump she'll really have an idea of what it is you do up there.

USPA dues will increase $5 in January, due to soaring insurance costs, postage increases and other rising expenses.

I'm sure that the purchase of a shiny new building had nothing to do with the price increase. What's wrong with the current building? How many people does the USPA employ? How many people are actually in that office at any given time? Seems like a frivilous expense to me.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

The way I saw it explained, and it seemed resonable, was that in the long run it would save money for the membership. I've heard for awhile that they are maxed out on space in the current building. Plus.....insurance IS skyrocketing all over the place and postage IS going up. Again, I'd say it's reasonable.

Chris

I realize that insurance prices are going up.

I'd like someone to explain to me though why a new building is necessary. That seems to me like an unnecessary expense.

-
Jim

I can't say the math for sure. But....I sat at many of the meetings and I did hear from many members that expenses had to be minimized to the max to protect the income they had from the membership. So...at least....they were giving lip service to being physcally responsible. And I felt they were genuine about what they were saying. Again, my opinion from sitting at the meetings.

Chris

Downtown Alexandria VA is really expensive. The building was a good buy when it was built but now taxes, parking, staff living expenses make it a liability to jumpers. The intention (I think still) is to include a parachuting museum in the building. Fredericksburg is not so far that staff can't do what they need to do in DC. I think it's a good move. Remember that until the late 70's, PCA/USPA was located on Cannery Row in Montery, CA, a great place to lobby for the sport. Sale of the Alexandria building should maybe more than pay for the Fredericksburg site.

I've been to HQ several times in the past few years. People are crawling over each other. There are 20-something people there and they're there a lot.

HW

The intention (I think still) is to include a parachuting museum in the building.

I was waiting for this to come up. A parachuting museum benefits the jumping community how? This should, in my opinion, be a private endeavor and not paid for by the membership.

-
Jim

I dont think A $5 increase is much at all.
$5/Year is only about .41 cents a month.
I am not sure whether they own or lease the current bldg. if they own.I am sure they arent going to give the old building away so they will hopefully sell it and use that money wisely towards the purchase of the new building.
Any time I have to get in toouch with the uspa by phone or email they are always helpful and courtious. for an additional $5/year I will gladly give up ONE beer
as far as the museum goes I think the whole building should have the skydiving feel to it. I dont know what KIND of museum it will be but I would like to see it when its done!
My photos

My Videos

Well, they had all the half year numbers displayed at the BOD meeting. Anyone could go. I don't think they are hiding anything.

The museum: from what I was hearing is that the museum would be near by and IS going to be paid for by donations and other income. Some could probably correct me if that wrong but I believe that it does NOT come from the membership dues to build the museum.

Benefit: People go the Washington D.C. area to view all kinds of museums. Smithsonians, etc....I can't think of a better place to put it. And yah, I think it's a good idea. My opinion.

Oh, and at the meeting they described that the general staff has been reduced over the past year and others have taken pay cuts. Chris Needles said the staff would do whatever it could to help continue reducing the debt (which was reduced by 100 G's by the way) in the coming years.

Chris

Since it's also available by download for free

Not any more. From the info I got recently they will now charge you to download. Also, anyone taking a ratings course is "supposed" to purchase their own copy of the SIM and IRM. [:/] Plus...as far as I know ratings fees are being upped to $40 from the previous $25.