FliegendeWolf

e-bay

Out of curiosity, I just poked my head over on E-Bay to see what kind of gear people are selling, and was absolutely amazed at how little people were selling for (even when the reserve has been met)! I've always known if it sounds to good to be true, but I just don't understand why this stuff is so cheap! Any ideas?
A One that Isn't Cold is Scarcely a One at All

I have found both good gear and bad gear on e-bay . There has also been stolen gear found on e-bay and recovered . I find out who it is I am buying from and what dz they jump at first . If you want to buy gear from e-bay ask who the rigger is that has worked on the gear in the past and call him .

The selection of used gear also bites on ebay. So far DZ seems to have the best selection of used gear, which still isn't all that good for a relatively big guy like myself weighing in at 210 lbs. I might as well commit suicide if I was to buy a small canopy some where in the 100-130 size range.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

it could be for several reason.
1. the person is getting out of the sport
2. they need money anything money and fast
3. it is a wuffo who doesn't know what it is worth
4. It is to good to be true the gear could be old...

in any case some of it may be worth checking out.

Mother Hen

you can't really judge by what the price is now on EBAY. if you want to really see if it's a bargain, you have to wait until after the auction closes. My experience with EBAY is that the majority of the bidding happens within the last few seconds (literally). Of course, by then, it's already too late to bid on something :)

There are people who have written programs to do exactly this, bid on an auction 5 seconds before it closes
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

The selection of used gear also bites on ebay. So far DZ seems to have the best selection of used gear, which still isn't all that good for a relatively big guy like myself weighing in at 210 lbs. I might as well commit suicide if I was to buy a small canopy some where in the 100-130 size range.

You have 5 jumps and you're already thinking about buying something in the 100 to 130 range? Sheesh! Good luck in this sport.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

I've only used e-bay once - I sold my truck on it. (Yeah, start small.) The reserve was met 2 days before the end of the auction and nothing happened. In the last 46 seconds the price went up nearly $600 (25% of the selling price).

you can't really judge by what the price is now on EBAY. if you want to really see if it's a bargain, you have to wait until after the auction closes. My experience with EBAY is that the majority of the bidding happens within the last few seconds (literally). Of course, by then, it's already too late to bid on something :)

There are people who have written programs to do exactly this, bid on an auction 5 seconds before it closes

Do I have to say this again? I'm not looking to buy small equipment. I'm just saying that there seems to be a better selection of the used smaller stuff rather than the larger stuff a big novice like myself needs. Jeez, it's not like I have a death wish ... B|
I'm still holding out hope that I can find a good used rig with a main in the 210-230 range, but at the same time I am also thinking that a new rig is also an option (sure it will hurt the bank account).

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I buy and sell a lot of stuff on EBay. Recently I sold my first canopy, a Falcon 175, and I got what I wanted for it and all parties involved were happy. The price did go up steeply near the end as well.

However, I've been ripped off too - I've sent checks that were cashed and never received the item and I've received items that looked and were described one way and then were total crap when I got them.

So, you're taking your chances on EBay, but I've found my experiences to be much more positive than negative so I've stuck with it.
Rhonda
PP ASEL

I purchased 2 rigs on Ebay and got Great deals. I purchased a third but refused to send the money-order to a hotel in Florida where the front desk said no-one under that name was registered.
Keep your eyes open, and be aware that you ARE taking a risk in buying, but I agree: some deals look too good to be true. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't (My first purchase, a rig with 500 jumps and a cypres for $1400, the seller threw in a Z1 and Factory Diver Camera helmet, Altimiter, gloves and weight vest, FOR FREE!!!!)

The second rig I purchased, $2000, only had 20 jumps on it and it still smelled new when I recieved it.

Ill buy from Ebay and sell elsewhere.

milo

I have purchased a lot of stuff from e-bay and have not been burned yet . ALWAYS look at the sellers feedback . I will only buy items less than $200.00 from sellers with 0 feedback . I also look at the values of other auctions and what the buyers said . I do not like to buy from anyone with negative feedback . You can save a ton of $$ if you know what you are looking at .