rgoper

Reporters In Chicago Running Amuck....

Damn you blue....

You're downloading all these songs to play over and over untill it's either out of your head, or you stab yourself in the eye with a fork.... aren't you? B|
:D
Want some more?

I'mmmmmm sailing away......
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

We have enough bad press as it is wildblue . We need to police ourselves .

Didn't I just agree with that?

[thud]
"ouch"
[donning steel-toed boots]
[thump][thump][thump][thump]
[thump][thump]
[thump]
"wheew.. this is hard work, hand me a beer"
[thump][thump]
[drink]
[thump]
[drink]
[thump][thump]
"hey look! glue!!"
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Okay first off Wildblue as far as songs go "I like big buts and I can not lie you other brother can't deny..."

I'd just like to say that I also jump at the same place as Phree and Wildblue. I used to go to a different dz where I partook in all the extra curricular activities. Since I changed dz I don't do any drugs. Part of it is my new Career choice but a big part of it is I like my DZ and I don't want to get kicked off and loose friends because of a stupid desision. If eveyone at a dz complies with a no drug policy it works.

Mother Hen

>This is so wrong. This type of reporting is NOT good reporting. You
>said that a reporter digs around to find related material. Well this
>relationship has NOT been established.

You are absolutely correct. Such a relationship can only be established by a jury. It is a reporter's job to discover such relationships.

Some more examples:

A politician approves a big new highway project. A reporter discovers that the highway contractor contributed $100,000 to the politician's reelection campaign, and reports it.

A doctor has a patient die on the operating table during a routine procedure. A reporter discovers that the doctor had the same thing happen in another state several times and reports it.

A woman psychic becomes popular in a city. A reporter discovers she was convicted as part of a scam to defraud the elderly using "voices from their children" to tell them to give money to her. He reports it.

All these are cases of the reporter doing a good job. Must he establish that there is indeed a relationship between _any_ of the above situations before he reports it? No, he just reports the pertinent facts, and the related facts.

As much as you may not like it, Roger is a convicted drug smuggler. He went to jail for it. Drug usage, especially involved with a fatality, is related to selling drugs. A reporter would not be doing his job if he missed that.

>We all hate reading "parachute failed to open".

If the jumper had a double total mal, he would be 100% correct in reporting that. If the jumper opened his parachute and died when he put it into line twists at 200 feet, then the reporter would be wrong. Reporters should get the facts straight; that's also their job. In Roger's case, they did get the facts straight.

I'd just like to say that I also jump at the same place as Phree and Wildblue.

I don't wanna be left out. I jump there too with phree, blue, and skydiverchick. What they say is true. There are no drugs at the dz. I absolutely love not having to worry about being around that stuff.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

That would be christoofar in his earlier post .

Ah, ok, then I did miss something.
I agree with you there. Calling cops is probably not cool. Talk to DZO, deal with it, or find another place to jump.

Y'all are right. It's better to just let the DZO handle it or wait until someone dies.

Reporters should get
the facts straight; that's also their job. In Roger's case, they did get the
facts straight.

They did NOT get their facts straight with respect to the "near misses" with commercial airliners. Very misleading, in fact.

i've seen it personally, more than once. i shall not expound further, but please don't be so naieve.***

how do you see everyone not doing something? You would have to monitor everyone at the dz 24 hours a day?

how would you know? experience? i know what i've seen with my own 2 eyeballs, that much i'm sure of. i'm a very lucid person. if in fact we all want to say it doesn't happen were only fooling ourselves....believe it.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

I don't buy that the dz is drug free. It sounds like it's pretty close, but every day people do them, and many of those people think that they're under control, and a few of those people get on airplanes and jump out of them.

The claim that a dropzone is drugfree doesn't seem any more plausible than a claim that high school is drug free. I'd bet, though I cannot prove, that since it's a decent sized dropzone, there are people there who do drugs and get on loads. I'd also bet that they tend to jump together, but that much isn't always certain.

On the other hand, I see no reason why skydivers wouldn't/shouldn't rat out their own. If you know and don't approve, rat 'em out. It's dangerous to themselves and (more importantly, imo) others. I'd object to somebody who rats out someone for smoking pot on their day off, but as soon as they are stoned and trying to get on a plane with me, they need to be turned in. Perhaps I'm a rat, but I can deal with somebody getting stoned on their own time, but don't let it affect me.

As far as the original topic? I think it was clearly biased against Roger. I think linking his previous fuck-ups to the deaths of current skydivers who made their own mistakes was misleading, and the reporter was bringing up irrelevant information; Futher, the reporter was presenting the information in such a way that a causal link was implied. Roger's past was brought up to make the story more interesting, even though it had absolutely no relevance to the actual incident.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think you will find a dropzone where no one does drugs.

i've seen it personally, more than once. i shall not expound further, but please don't be so naieve.***

how do you see everyone not doing something? You would have to monitor everyone at the dz 24 hours a day?

how would you know? experience? i know what i've seen with my own 2 eyeballs, that much i'm sure of. i'm a very lucid person. if in fact we all want to say it doesn't happen were only fooling ourselves....believe it.

Dude...re-read, slowly. You responded to someone saying that you would not find a dropzone where noone does drugs. You disagreed and called him naive, in essence saying that you have seen with your own 2 eyes the opposite, that being a dropzone where noone does drugs. My question is, how do you know noone is doing drugs? You would have to be with everyone 24 hours a day including going to the bathroom with them to make sure they weren't. Now you seem to be contradicting your statement.