rgoper

Reporters In Chicago Running Amuck....

Phree: I corrected while you were typing your reply.

As a low-timer in this sport and a non-DZ employee... there isn't much I can do except tattle-tale, I guess.

But... now that I think about it, if these guys get me really pissed off... the poh-lice are only 2/3 mi. away from the DZ (in ref. to the heavy pot smoking+narco users).

I can quickly call DPS, who are always more than eager to bust somebody so they can make the front page of the small-town paper so they make their mamas proud.

The only thing is... if I do it I'm pretty sure I won't be going to the DZ again with all the negative vibes. It's a no-win scenario it seems like. Price to pay for living in a free-country, I s'pose?

This is so wrong. This type of reporting is NOT good reporting. You said that a reporter digs around to find related material. Well this relationship has NOT been established. So having it in the artical infers that it will be true. To just say that the reporter "did not imply a direct relationship" is not right. Because it's in the article it implies a relationship automatically.

We all hate reading "parachute failed to open". People on here get irate. They infer that the gear is at fault when the article should have read "jumper failed to perform actions to save their life." They think we are crazy because we continue to jump "unsafe" gear that malfunctioned for no explanation. We all hate that image. Infering that Roger's past has anything to do with this death is BAD reporting.

Chris Schindler

Chris,

I agree with Bill on this one. How far a reporter digs in a story is up to them and their editor.

The fact that there is a sordid past with a public record is completely "fair game". The writer did not link the death to the past events, except for the common thread that existed in both incidents: Roger. There may be absolutely no direct relation between them. Or there may be. The report didn't say it, because it isn't proven. But it isn't disproven either.

The article brings questions to the minds of the reader. That is a good thing, as long as things are factually reported, which it seems that they were. I live almost a thousand miles from Chicago, and don't subscribe to that newspaper, but I want to know what happened. I find many things curious and somewhat suspicious. I bet lots of Chicago folks wonder also. As long as the newspaper sticks to the truth, it is their job to write about topics people want to read about.

If there is nothing wrong, there is nothing to fear. If there are no unsafe practices and the events are purely circumstantial, that will be born out in time. If that is not the case, people to have a justifiable reason to read about it in the paper.

This is somewhat humurous, your president gets a blow job and everybody is up in arms, yet a DZO ran major drug smuggling operation and we should just all forget about it. Personally I think that killing children and adults with drugs you provided is a bit more serious then sticking a cigar up a woman's pussy. But I guess I am the only one who thinks that.

Come on, the writer just stated that in one of the deaths drugs were found in the guy's system and that Roger did what he did. Those are all factual statements, I really don't see what the problem is with that.

Third, a high percentage of fatalities happen at the same place. Am I the only one who would like to know whether or not this is just a statistical anomality or if something else might be going on.

As far as Roger paying his debt to society. He spend some time in jail, in all likelihood kept a lot of the money he made trafficing drugs and ratted on his "friends"/"business partners". Are all of us so naive to think that there is no possibility that his operation, at least at start up, was financed with drug money? I don't think there is anything wrong with this being investigated. I agree that the outcome might not be good, but someone should have thought of that before a convicted major drug smuggler started running an operation with airplanes and skydivers.

Just my $0.02

LOL, where do you get these?

Evidently at the bottom of my third can of Mt Dew.
Actually, I'm kinda pissed off about the whole thing, because I have the chorus of a Guns n Roses song stuck in my head... can you guess which one?!
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

I have the chorus of a Guns n Roses song stuck in my head

Could be worse. You could have the Muppet Show song stuck in your head....Why do we always come here?:)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Could be worse. You could have the Muppet Show song stuck in your head....Why do we always come here?:)

G--DAMMIT Sunshine! >:(

Now I have that damn song in my head.

Da da da da-da-daaaaaaa! Da da da da-da-daaaaaaaaaa! Da da da da-da da da-da-da-da-da-da-da-daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

You could have the Muppet Show song stuck in your head....

no... that's easily replaced by "Feeeeeeelings, nothing more than feeeeelings"

or anything from "The Sound of Music"

or "hey mister dj put a record on..."

if all else fails (use only in case of emergency) - that stupid "Tom's Diner" or whatever it is. You know, that "I am sitting in the morning at the dinner on the corner" that no one actually knows all the words to, but can go "doot do-do-doot doot do-do-doot, doot doot doo-doot do-da-doo-doot"

G--DAMMIT Sunshine!

Now I have that damn song in my head.

It's not my fault. Blame it on Wildblue!!! And while you're at it, spank him with a huge spatula that leaves a red mark on his ass for 3 hours....

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

let me help you there:

It's time to play the music
It's time to light the lights
It's time to meet the Muppets on the Muppet Show tonight.

It's time to put on makeup
It's time to dress up right
It's time to raise the curtain on the Muppet Show tonight.

Why do we always come here
I guess we'll never know
It's like a kind of torture
To have to watch the show

And now let's get things started
Audience: Why don't you get things started
It's time to get things started
on the most sensational inspirational celebrational Muppetational this is what we call the Muppet Show!

It aint cool to rat out fellow skydivers to the po-lice .

i agree, but is it right for fellow sky divers to place other's lives in danger if their under the influence? if no one does drugs, no one will be put in the "rat's" position...right?

I don't think you will find a dropzone where no one does drugs.

surely you jest? i've seen it personally, more than once. i shall not expound further, but please don't be so naieve.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

I don't think you will find a dropzone where no one does drugs

As Phree said - the dz we jump at has a strict "No Drugs" policy. Now, I don't know what goes on in people's homes when they leave the dz, but there are no "Safety Meetings", there's nothing but beer around the bonfire, and there'd better not being anyting illegal in your tent/camper. The DZO can, will, and has kicked people off his dropzone.

A DZO has the ability to rid his DZ of drugs if he wants to. Most DZOs won't because it might make them unpopular or lose them some business (or clients). One of the things I love about my DZO - he could give a shit less if you like him, and cares even less about your money.
It's worked for him for 41 years.

but it still aint cool to rat someone out to the cops . If you have a problem with what is going on at the dz talk to the owner not the cops .

How did this even turn into a "don't rat your fellow jumper out to the cops" thing? Did I miss a post in here? Who said call the cops?

That would be christoofar in his earlier post .

Ah, ok, then I did miss something.
I agree with you there. Calling cops is probably not cool. Talk to DZO, deal with it, or find another place to jump.

if all else fails (use only in case of emergency) - that stupid "Tom's Diner" or whatever it is. You know, that "I am sitting in the morning at the dinner on the corner" that no one actually knows all the words to, but can go "doot do-do-doot doot do-do-doot, doot doot doo-doot do-da-doo-doot"

Damn you blue....

--
Hook high, flare on time

Towelie.wav