rgoper

Reporters In Chicago Running Amuck....

I hope so too, and I hope we keep this in mind when we consider if we want 14 year olds doing tandems, or having skydiving in the olympics, or having it be part of the X-games. A high profile is not neccessarily a good thing.

14 Year old doing tandems? Woa! I don't know about that one... the 16yrs limit seems young even with parental concent.

The olympics can only test for performance enhancing drugs and I can't think of any durgs which could enhance skydive abilities can you?... Maybe speed if it would "slow" things down for your team to turn more points:D. But seriously, I agree with the "no high profile" business... Get yourself a nickname and use it as a call sign:P

Do the freestyle dirt-bike jumpers, or the x-games skateboarders get drug tests? I bet there are a ton 'o pot smokers among them...

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

Well, that or don't get caught...

Interesting to see the moral view people put on this. In my life I have found it very interesting the things that are "legal" or "Illegal" depending on where you are standing or who these actions benefit. Some in this world are willing and able to change the rules as it suits them. I say...rules are made to be broken and the one that gets caught the least wins. Just ask your government.;)

>14 Year old doing tandems? Woa! I don't know about that one... the
> 16yrs limit seems young even with parental concent.

I know of at least one DZO that would like nothing better to put up a sign that says "If you are as tall as Mickey's hand, you can go on this ride."

>The olympics can only test for performance enhancing drugs and I
> can't think of any durgs which could enhance skydive abilities can
> you?

I'm not so worried about drug tests as about general acceptance . . . most people don't even know skydiving goes on at nearby airports. But looking at the number of "no skateboarding here" signs, the public knows very well that skateboarding goes on.

>Do the freestyle dirt-bike jumpers, or the x-games skateboarders
> get drug tests? I bet there are a ton 'o pot smokers among them...

Problem is, if a skateboarder kills himself, it's his issue. A skydiver can take other people with him, and thus the issue of drug testing becomes a lot bigger.

In answer to Olympic drug testing there is an extensive list from the OIC and NCAA(for collegates) of prohibited drugs. Most are stimulants and include the likes of sudefed, albuterol inhaler, some cough meds........performance enhancers.....e.g. anabolic steroids. At the Olympic level urine tests are done randomly with the athlete being assigned a "chaperone" which follows the athlete from beginning to end of performance and allows for no consumption of any beverages unless given by said chaperone until after the sample has been taken. Some meds are permissible with a Dr.s affidavit, and requires approval by the OIC and its medical staff.

Even a high level of caffine is banned, right Betsy?
Geez, I know I'd be f**ked on that one...:D

*picking up 10ft pole to touch the media debate, deciding against it, putting down 10ft pole*
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I find this thread rather interesting - The Chicago Tribune prints an article with factual information in at and everyone is mad.....Parachutist prints an inaccurate article and no one says a word......has any read the article about Spaceland's swoop competition being cancelled due to "weather".....I find that interesting given the fact Chris Salin died in that swoop compeition......maybe we should be worried about our own publications......

:|

Not only that, but the incident report about Chris was also inaccurate. According to his friends that were with him every minute of the preceding day, he never claimed he wanted to do a 360 degree turn. Chris also had more like 600+ jumps. He had 200+ on that canopy and had gotten all his jumps in the last two years, therefore being very current. The report makes it sound as if an inexperienced jumper was out of his league. This was not the case.

Not so much the soda, but the Ephedra stacks, thermogenics and all those other mu-tang based energy drinks. Honestly, I think that a majority of the athletes that get to that level are more concerned about their training then drug use. They may supplement, but there's nothing wrong with that. Supplement as in creatine, protein mixes, HMA (not the lines), amino acids, glutamine, etc. Your general good blend of stuff that's useful and proven to benefit your body without negative effects. Actually, on another note, I just read a couple of different studies that found no ill effects on healthy people who use ephedra within the recommended dosage (note those quanitfiers).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Well, manifest puts up with a lotta shit from skydivers, guess they'll have to put up with a lotta piss, too!

Great, before you know it, we're going to have to submit a cup of urine to manifest in the morning...

And Roger Nelson's former criminal past has exactly WHAT to do with this skydiver's death???

Exactly. What the paper said may be true, but why bring it up? A man is dead, it's not Roger's fault, so who cares what he did 10 years ago?!

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

:|

Not only that, but the incident report about Chris was also inaccurate. According to his friends that were with him every minute of the preceding day, he never claimed he wanted to do a 360 degree turn. Chris also had more like 600+ jumps. He had 200+ on that canopy and had gotten all his jumps in the last two years, therefore being very current. The report makes it sound as if an inexperienced jumper was out of his league. This was not the case.

I concur. I've spent the last three years at Skydive San Marcos (where Chris jumped most of the time) and he was very current and experienced.

Your general good blend of stuff that's useful and proven to benefit your body without negative effects

Everything you put in your body that doesn't occur naturally in your body has some form of adverse affect on your body.

Hell, there are even things that do occur naturally in your body that have adverse affects.

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project

I'm not so worried about drug tests as about general acceptance . . . most people don't even know skydiving goes on at nearby airports. But looking at the number of "no skateboarding here" signs, the public knows very well that skateboarding goes on.

Yeah but skateboarding goes on "in your face"! You're walking on the sidewalk and these guys are flying past you and getting in the way... or that's how the no-sk8 crowd sees them. Peple put up no-sk8 signs for liability 'cause if Johnny breaks his leg in his favorite shopping mall parking lot... Guess who his mommy and daddy are taking to court! We sign waivers and land in a designated area (most of the time :)

Problem is, if a skateboarder kills himself, it's his issue. A skydiver can take other people with him, and thus the issue of drug testing becomes a lot bigger.

I'm thinking more about the dirt-bike jumping in the x-games... If one of those guys happens to "go in" -to the crowd, he'd do just as much (if not more) damage than a swooping canopy pilot no?

What about obstacle swooping for x-games... swoop the half-pipe?

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

And Roger Nelson's former criminal past has exactly WHAT to do with this skydiver's death???

As stated before, an outsider sees that a skydiver was using drugs. The owner of the facility happened to be involved with drugs in his past. Skydivers know that drugs aren't passed out like candy before loading the aircraft, but an outsider has no idea of what to think. They see a direct correlation between a person using the facility and the owner of the facility.

Many people here stated that they see these occurrences as odd, but have no idea of why. How are outside reporters, especially reporters who are not getting input from skydivers, expect to have any better knowledge of what is going on. All they did was make two factual statements that have one thing in common: illegal drugs.

The only thing this article may have lacked was further research (not into the drug area, but into the incidents overall.)
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

>And Roger Nelson's former criminal past has exactly WHAT to do with
> this skydiver's death???

Nothing, and the paper did not imply that. It did imply that there may be some connection between one of the other deaths (which may have involved drug usage) and the fact that he used to smuggle drugs.

Take the opposite case. A jumper shows up for the FJC. He does OK on the ground, he jumps, freaks out, gets away from both JM's, and manages to entangle himself in his reserve and goes in. Tests show that there was cocaine in his bloodstream. A search of court records shows that he was once arrested for selling cocaine, but his family maintains that his death was the fault of the DZ, his criminal past has NOTHING to do with his death.

Would you agree with them? If a newspaper published a story mentioning his criminal past, would you be irate?

and now, if i may, try to bring this issue back into perspective.

originally i stated that the reporters were "running amuck" that's my opinion.

1) what does roger nelson's past (whatever it may be) have to do with this sky diver's death? answer: nothing

2) what possible positive result could be obtained by the chicago tribune to research this occurence in roger's past and publish it now after this most tragic occurence? ansewr: none

3) why did they bring it up? answer: for monetary gain(s) to sell newspapers.

4) roger nelson in fact committed some crimes YEARS ago, he paid his debt to society, he's done his part. how long is he to be held accountable?

the simple fact of the matter, and the reason i even posted this to begin with, is not to contest whether the sky diver was under any influence, or whether roger had (or has) anything to do with it. it struck me odd, and the reporters showed concise vindictive behaviour with the remarks and veiled references that relate to an event that happened before a lot of you guys were even born.

what actions have i taken? i have contacted the editor, and expressed my utter dismay for the insinuations against an individual, and a sport, that was needless, and pointless. i don't live in chicago, i live in texas, but nonetheless, i felt this was a "poke in the eye" at sky diving, not just roger. let's face it, roger is "high profile" he's a target, would it not be in our best interests to not stand up for him? and show support for him as well? i really can't understand why this most unfortunate event, and post event reporting would not "unite" us, instead of divide us. if they stick roger, there sticking all of us. NO ONE here can say they don't have a "skeleton" or two in the closet, or that we haven't made a mistake at some point in time in our lives. how would we feel if after 20 freaking years somebody comes back and puts our name, and offense in a nationally distributed newspaper, in relation to a tragic event such as this?

in my opinion, and in my heart, it is wrong, it should not have been done..PERIOD. a man has lost his life, will adding insult to injury obtain anyone any further gain? i think not.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

>how would we feel if after 20 freaking years somebody comes back and puts our name, and offense in a nationally distributed newspaper, in relation to a tragic event such as this?

Just ask any politition... they under go this all the time and no one says a word about it.

>what possible positive result could be obtained by the chicago tribune to research this occurence in roger's past and publish it now after this most tragic occurence?

Well... if there are fatilities occuring due to possible drug related conditions.. at a former drug trafficers place of residence/business.. .the reporter might have seen a link there even if there was none. Opening the doors to our culture and informing... not critizing is the only way to prove that not all skydivers are druggies and do a line then hop on the plane...

>reporters showed concise vindictive behaviour with the remarks and veiled references
Umm... all he did was print court documents that are public knowledge any ways.

SDC was given a chance to comment but Roger turned it down or was not availble, that seems to be plenty of opprotunity to set the record straight if needed.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com