flash

WFFC

I had a blast there this year...met some cool people, did some really awesome freefly dives (an 8-way mainly headdown dive for my 400th was really cool). I was dissappointed by the jet no-show, but my personal opinion is that if you just go to jump the jet and find it to be a complete washout if it doesn't show, you're overlooking a lot of fun to be had there. I may go to Summerfest next year just to check it out, but i gotta say i really enjoyed the WFFC.

blue ones
Tomas

As one of the "manifest girls" I can tell you that none of the three of us at the manifest window had any clue about the jet not showing up until that copy of the fax was shoved in front of our faces. The dropping jaw was legit and heartfelt. As for "Don will make an announcement", you didn't really think that one of us would be willing to make that announcement and take the heat for it, did you?

---------------------------------------------------
It was obvious that none of the girls knew anything about it.
I asked 1st and when told "this is news to me",I said I saw a memo about it, I was asked to show a copy, which I did, 'twasn't me that "shoved" anything at anyone :)
Anyhoo ... I was disappointed the jet wasn't there but continued jumping. Hmmm.. I jumped everything but the high altitude jump.
On the helicopter jump was the 1st time I have ever been concerned about the reliability of seatbelts!
james

"exit fast, fly smooth, dock soft and smile"
'nother james

Don Kirlin has 6 L-39 Dolphin jets

umm....last time I checked he didn't have 6 L-39 aero vochodny....BUT he does have quit a few...ask him about his L-39 that disappeared off the coast of lake michigan with the pilot and the passenger and still hasn't been recovered......or ask him about his mig 25 that blew up off the coast of Canada because they didn't want to dump the external fuel tank.....supersonic and external fuel tanks dont mix....bbboooommmmmm...

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

I didn't post that as being jealous, just as a response that things are just scraping by with the $59 registration and such. I was told that he has 3 flying L-39s, and 3 for parts...

------------------------------------------
Getting banned isn't that bad......

"Lessons learned - Maybe next year. "
I agree. What lesson have we learned ? Each of the last 3 years, the jet was promised. Jet does not show up. What have we learned ? Don't make your vacation promises based on jumping it.
The WFFC is a business. People are going to re-evaluate their reasons for going. Mine may be a little different. I have friends that I see from about twice a year. Once at my dz, once at the WFFC. People without the year-to-year history will go for different reasons. I also like the new people I meet.
Roger has a competitive boogie just based on the fact that his kids are well known freefliers. A lot of people who are new in the sport are freefliers and may opt to go there. Couch Freaks is a great boogie. It's not as long, but the vibes are great and the dress-up parties are unique and fun. There are other boogies and other options.
If the reason for going to the WFFC is to jump the jet and the credibility is waning, people may take other options, regardless of a valid reason. Perhaps "Maybe next year" isn't a good business slogan.

"What lesson have we learned ? Each of the last 3 years, the jet was promised. Jet does not show up.

Making sure you do your research because you obviously have not:
2000 - I was not involved with the WFFC so I can not discount your theory that it was promised. It was listed on the website as a jump plane, but the jump plane page had not been modified in several years.

2001 - No where was the Jet listed as 'Confirmed', website or otherwise. If you were told that it was, it was not from any official WFFC sources.

2002 - Based on my own experiences having been let down on the Jet, I refused to post that it would be there until I had all the appropriate pieces in my hands that would confirm to me that it would definately be there. Well, a few phone calls to the right people and an email from said company stating the date they would be there with their 727 was good enough for me, so I posted the plane as confirmed. Circumstances beyond the WFFC's control and the owner of the 727's control forced them to withdraw from flying jumpers. To this, we can all thank Lloyds of London.
Yes, the WFFC is a business and the reputation has been a bit tarnished recently. A great boogie is not defined as a single specialty plane but the people who make the boogie what it is. It's the host town's acceptance and attitude towards us. Keep in mind that to some, people who jump out of 'perfectly good airplanes' are a bit freaky.
The WFFC was a success this year and the Village of Rantoul does want us to return, 727 or no 727.
Everyone of us has a reason that we go to the boogie or two we attend each year. Whatever that reason is, go with it. Boogies are the best thing this sport has. A time to get together with friends that we may not have seen since the last time.
Roger has a decent boogie too. I choose not to go there due to 'verbal abuse' that I received as a low time jumper over the phone several years ago when I inquired about gear rental. (my parents live 60 minutes from SDC and was going to visit SDC in conjunction with a parent visit). I ended up going to Illinois Valley Parachute Club and was treated as a friend and not a number. First impressions are lasting.
The long and the short - The WFFC is a fantastic experience. From what I hear, Couch Freaks and Lost Prarie are as well. Take one, two, or all of them and experience what they each have to offer. Each is unique in it's own right. Bashing a boogie because something happened that was out of control of the organizers is pitty.

Until next year...

Bluez~~~

Michael
Webmaster

[email protected]
-----
~~~Michael

Long-term pact sought for sky-diving convention

By TIM MITCHELL
© 2002 THE NEWS-GAZETTE
Published Online August 14, 2002
RANTOUL – Rantoul village officials have taken the first step toward giving the World Free Fall Convention a permanent home in northern Champaign County.
The village board Tuesday authorized Village Administrator Gary Adams to begin negotiations for a long-term contract with the convention.
The 10-day event, which concluded Sunday, was held for the first time in Rantoul after 12 years in Quincy.
Convention Executive Director Bernice Eickelschulte said her organization would prefer a contract in five-year increments.
Eickelschulte said many of the participants she spoke with overwhelmingly support keeping the festival at the former Chanute Air Force Base.
“We would like to thank the village for hosting our event here,” Eickelschulte said. “We listen to our guests, and our guests are telling us we have found a home in Rantoul.”
Eickelschulte said this year's event was the most successful in the convention's history.
“We certainly would like to continue our partnership with Rantoul, and we look forward to being here for many years,” she said.
Village board member Helen Lewis said she originally was skeptical about the merits of hosting the World Free Fall Convention in Rantoul, but she said the event last week convinced her it will be good.
“I think the World Free Fall Convention proved itself very well,” Lewis said.
Village board member Ron Loy, who had voted against bringing the convention to Rantoul, said he would have no problem inviting the event back next year if a new contract can be worked out.
“It was a wonderful event,” said village board member Chuck Smith. “It was good to see young people in town enjoying themselves. The World Free Fall Convention was good, and it made Rantoul shine.”
Noting that Rantoul was just awarded the event this spring, Mayor Neal Williams said he hoped a deal could be finalized to allow as much time as possible to promote the 2003 event.
In other business, the board approved an intergovernmental deal with Champaign County, the cities of Champaign and Urbana, the University of Illinois, and the villages of Savoy and Mahomet to develop a coordinated countywide geographic information system, with each body sharing in the cost.
of the project.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

***ask him about his mig 25 that blew up off the coast of Canada because they didn't want to dump the external fuel tank.....supersonic and external fuel tanks dont mix....bbboooommmmmm...

He had a mig 25?? You sure it was a 25? Now that would be a fun ride. Those can do mach 3...although the engines need to be replaced afterwards.

Dave

Actually, he is the only civilian to own two migs at one time. The rides he sold were expensive, and the proceeds of them went to the Humane Society of Quincy. A few people took up the offer, and the Humane Society realized a tidy profit. Yes, he does own a few L39's and as far as I know, he still may do a ride or two for the benefit of a charity. I am not sure, but you may be able to access more information regarding these planes through National Geographic, or Discovery Wings.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Do not take what I said as bashing. I like the WFFC and I stated that I attend whether the jet is there or not. I was there from 1995-2001. Enjoyed myself every year. I like Don. I know it is a huge amount of work to organize. I have no doubt that every effort was made. I live in the US and I spent $3000 to attend last year.
As far as my knowing the history, there was no "confirmed" page before. "Are you sure ?" is a new question.
From running the message board, you know how some people planned their attendance based on the jet and that some expressed some disappointment. I don't think I need to post quotes. Personally, I think there is many other reasons to attend and I will next year. In my post, I was addressing the options that these people will evaluate based on their perceptions.

Here's the rest of the story as Paul Harvey would put it -
Insurance was not initially an issue at all and it was all approved. Now, the policy for the jet expired August 2nd (or very close to there) and unlike you and I where we call up State Farm, Allstate, etc., the quote for coverage is defined and taken to the marketplace by a broker where multiple insuring agencies bid on the premium. Once the new policy was obtained, the 'oh by the way' conversation happened with the insuring agency and the 727 owner. The insuring agency did not approve of said activity and threatened to void the policy if jump operations were to take place out of the 727.
Since 9-11, Lloyds has taken a much more conservative approach on anything they insure. There are alternate places to obtain insure for high risk activities that is comperable to Lloyds. Lloyds has iritated a few people and they are voting with they wallets and seeking alternatives.
Don was calling all over the world to locate an unused 727 and did find 3 that I know of since I was sitting in his trailer and overhearing the conversations. All 3 had the same issue with insurance - They'd love to do it, but we won't without insurance...

Bluez~~~
Michael
Webmaster

[email protected]
-----
~~~Michael

He had a mig 25?? You sure it was a 25? Now that would be a fun ride. Those can do mach 3...although the engines need to be replaced afterwards.

yes I am sure it was a mig 25 because the man that died in it was a friend of mine.....and my ex father in law...airshow world is VERY small...

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....