174fps

Tandem Terminal

B|
Just finished the combined Alberta Provincials/Canadian
Nationals.
There was a tandem course during nationals.
One of the candidates asked me to be one of his
dummies for the course.
OK, he said we'll barrell roll out the door,then
go drougueless to 8500'(from 12500')
Anybody else been to tandem terminal?
Also thanks to Mad John for getting me my CXM #921
(Canadian 10 Man)on a sweet 2 point 10way.
also to Storm, and Rich Grimm for all his patience
with all us 182 jumpers.

Andrew

One of the candidates asked me to be one of his dummies for the course.
OK, he said we'll barrell roll out the door,then
go drougueless to 8500'(from 12500')

Yup, at least every spring when it's time to get current, and a few times on real tandems. It's a blast, but generally not a great idea when jumping with students because of the threat of loss of control, and the extra wear on the drogue when it is thrown at high speed. Still, it's a good time. For a bunch of fun, try getting two people at tandem terminal to both do a super hard turn in the same direction.

It's also worth mentioning that when tandem was first developed there were no drogues, so 'back in the day' every extended freefall was at terminal!

-tom buchanan
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I had a chick doing a rodeo on me once for most of the skydive. Base for a hybrid. There were people out in front of me on their head that looked comfortable. It was a strange feeling. Hmm....that gives me an idea. Drogueless tandem as base for a Head Down Hybrid......;)

"OK, he said we'll barrell roll out the door,then
go drougueless to 8500'(from 12500') "

On my tandem we did flips from 11,200 to 8500 before PC deploy, not sure if it was intentional, but a lot of fun. Video clip on my homepage. It was 10 seconds before PC deploy.:)
Steve

My Site

There were a couple *big* boys doing tandems this past weekend, I bet you could have damn near flimed their vids doing headdown, even with the drogue. The video guy is a big time FFer, he actually filmed it in a sit and with out his camera suit...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

What is the difference in speed between a terminal tandem and say a rodeo?

Well.. the girl that rode me DIDN'T put her arms out so we were probably going just as fast if not faster than a tandem. Even with the arms out I don't think it would be too much differen't.

There were a couple *big* boys doing tandems this past weekend, I bet you could have damn near flimed their vids doing headdown, even with the drogue.

Well thats better than too slow. I shot a tandem this weekend with a 135lb tandem master and a 130lb student. I have a camera suit with a full wing and I could not stay up with them. My protrac said my average fall rate was 103 so they must have been doing 100 or less!

Skydive Radio

I went Tandem terminal with our very own SBS when i was getting my tandem rating. It is a requirement to go drougeless till 7,000' or so through drouge, wait ten seconds to slow down then pull the releases.

Me: "Hey Steve whatever you do don't f*** around on this dive ok??"

Steve: "Uh sure Seb:ph34r:"

Yup ten seconds is what "they" say.

Some tandem masters leave the drouge in the door on exit and some wait forever to pitch it. To the chagrin of non freeflyin vidiots;)

Ever done 10+ tandems in a day then go out for that last sunset load fun jump and almost pitch right after exit?:P

I do 3 or 4 a year, always with people who have done tandems before, or experienced jumpers riding on the front. I will get the drogue out by 7000 FT, then release the drogue by 4500 FT. Next time I do one with someone beefy like me, I want to wear a Pro-Track and see how fast we are going.

Another thing I will do . . . for first time tandem students that have no video: if they have been VERY nervous or scared about the exit or doing everything just right, I will fly the exit with them for 7 or 8 seconds, then give them high praises on the ground for nailing it. That always brings smiles!B|
Arrive Safely

John