akaGQ

Jumping in a wheelchair :)

Ok well I was at the DZ this weekend and was talking to one of my brothers and he was discussing that hes getting old so when he loses his legs if he does that he wants to be able to jump in his wheelchair. Well Im sure with junk day and such someone has allready done it but he said he wants to be able to land in it. At first I took it as a joke but then remembered that this is coming from a guy that fired a bottle rocket out of his ass on the 4th of July. But Ive been trying to figure out how we would mount the rig and such. I was thinking rig up something to mount the container on the back of the chair and maybe weld or bolt a 4 or 5 point racing harness to the chair so he doesnt fall out. Ive never done it before so I dont really know. But figured Id post it up here and maybe get some valuable input from others.
peace,
G.Q.
- GQ

... it was the love of the air and sky and flying, the lure of adventure, the appreciation of beauty ...
-Charles Lindberg

This is just off the top of my head, but you'd have to balance the weight on it because it will catch air from the foot rests. If you don't compensate for the lack of weight on said rests, it will most likely be in the "lazy boy" position, if it gets stable. Also the exits will be freaky when it rolls out the door. The passenger should wear a helmet otherwise the risers are gonna hit the guy in the head. Also cut off or minimize the handles used for pushing otherwise your just asking for a horseshoe. I'll post later when I think about it more.
blue ones,
"Dancing Argentine Tango is like doing calculus with your feet."
-9 toes

1. Attach the rig to him, not the chair. A bad weld would be fatal otherwise. Secondary attachements can keep the chair suspended.

2. Consider jumping without the chair. Plenty of paraplegics/amputees have done this. One guy I have jumped with, Jay, has no legs (both amputated, one above and one below the knee) and has no problem with a normal rig.

3. If you must take the chair, a drouge would probably be a good idea. It would replace the PC; a standard tandem 3-ring release (anchored to the chair) could initiate deployment.

4. He must realize that his odds of serious injury or death are literally orders of magnitude higher, and some DZ's may not be willing to take that sort of risk. You may have to do some hunting to find someone willing to help you.

I was joking with a sage AFF student who recently graduated and the topic of wheelchairs came up. I was trying to get her to think about going to Rantoul next year and... as a joke, we'll get one of those walkers you see in nursing homes and have her exit the back of a Skyvan in a walker. ;)B|B|:D

If we can't do it at Rantoul, it's always another idea for junk day. It would make for an awesome kick ass video clip. ;)

Hey why not use this system:
http://www.strongparachutes.com/Pages/MiltaryIndex.html and from there manned airborne vehicles! It has good seats and as a bonus you dont have to walk back from off DZ landing you can drive...

Jussi ;)
---Ubi est actio hic?---

I watched a guy at Lost Prairie board the aircraft to jump. It looked like he was paralyzed from the waist down. A couple of his friends carried him over to the Otter. He looked like a very experienced jumper who probably lost the use of his legs. Steve1