steve1

Making fun of another's fear.

This is a story of one of the crueler things that I've done:
I once had a friend named Melvin in the army who was scared to death of jumping. Yet I had to admire him because no matter how scared he was, he still jumped. But anyway I decided to poke some fun at him. I started telling him that I kept having this dream over and over again. It was about a jumper who jumped and kept falling and falling and finally he smacked into the earth. Then with a worried look on his face, Melvin would ask me to tell him more. So I said that in this dream I would run over there and turn the body over, "and it was you, Melvin." With a serious look on my own face, I would then say, "I wonder if this means anything?" I finally had to quit though because he was getting more and more frightened and I finally was able to show a little empathy and quit. Pretty cruel, huh? Aren't you glad you don't have friends like me? Steve1

You need to do something to get rid of that bad Karma hanging over your head. Might suggest you buy a couple tandem jumps as an 'affirmation of Life" for let's say... someone new to AA or some depressed kid?
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

I know. I had to be a real lowlife to do such a thing, and I'll probably never get into heaven. But I still have to laugh everytime I think of that day. You probably had to have been there to appreciate all the sick humor that was involved. Melvin still jumped the next day. I had to hand it to him. He had a lot of guts. Steve1

but if ya do knock real fast and run away!

I like to leave a burning bag of dogshit too......;)

Steve......don't feel too bad. I pick on people that look scared all the time. When I was in the military I used to yell "One more chance to die!!!" to the scared looking Army guys. It was a riot. :D

Hey, Don't be too analytical about the whole "Joking About Fear" thing.
Sat. before this past Labor Day I began AFP training. I was in a class of 10: 5 Static Line and 4 others in AFF. The Static Line guys got to go while the rest of us waited with our AFF instructor. I was gonna pay an extra $25 to have a 2nd JM to help me out, just like the other AFF were gonna have. I'd done tandems only previously, but I was current, so I didn't necessarily HAVE TO go AFF.
After waiting all day for a 2nd AFF JM who never was available, my JM said that I COULD go with only him if I so choose to do so. I paced back and forth mumbling and holding my head and running my hands through my hair for about 45 minutes thinking it through...To the accompaniment of morbid jokes and verbal prods from the licenced jumpers, riggers, video nuts and some instructors. Well, their joking around with me and AT me helped my resolve and got me motivated! :)Dark Humor isn't always cruel! It really can take the tension out of stressful situations...especially when the addreniline is really pumping. The key is to SHARE the laugh together with the person you are supposedly joking with.
My sense of Humor is pretty off-beat, I can find the oddest things can really give me a laughing fit...It doesn't matter if others don't "get it." I'm probably pretty funny and amusing to them when I "lose it" in laughter over something weird once in a while.:ph34r:
It just isn't kind or even funny if the reason for the "joke" makes somebody else miserable.
But just in general, ya all need to ;) LIGHTEN UP!

yah, I guess I am mean too. If I am filling a student load, I like to razz em a bit. People did it to me. Look at them and get wide eyed "shit, I thought they fixed that engine. PLane didn't sound like this the last time I was on...." Their faces are priceless. oh, but I at least tell them I am joking.:)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose

SkKYROSE7,
I don't try to be mean either...I still get really tense and stressed about jumping out that door! Freefalling is a rush, but still pretty intense. I absolutely love the descent under the canopy...but then again, it's a challenge to land, well at least this early on it is for me...SO joking around at the DZ and in the plane really can ease things up a bit.;)
HEY REMEMBER, LAUGHTER REALLY IS GOOD FOR YOU!

SKYROSE
I'm STILL on student status. AFP#4 is next step. Hope to make it thought to graduate before shut down of DZ this fall, but would still need to get in those 20 jumps to get my A License, and need to get them in at my training DZ (right?) if I don't drive everybody crazy at my training DZ and make it through my student status OK!
I HOPE to check out OTHER DZs next year. WHERE IS GREAT LAKES DZ AT IN MICHIGAN???
DO TELL:)

I HOPE to check out OTHER DZs next year. WHERE IS GREAT LAKES DZ AT IN MICHIGAN???

Ooh... Way to much bold and caps...

Anyhow... First, yes, you should stick with your current student program. What dz are you at? When you graduate, you should check out our friendly little dz.

Great Lakes Skydivers is in Gobles, MI... about 10 minutes west of Kalamazoo. Great little DZ.

Tell em Scary Mary's brother said "Howdy".

I have heard quite a few stories from dunc about scary mary. He said he wants to call me scarymaryII.. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing? I don't know the girl!:o
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose