skymama

Guilty Pleasure

The new season of Survivor is on tonight! Anyone else going to watch?

I know, I know, my life is pathetic. This is going to be the highlight of my evening.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Survivor is lame, they need to drop them suckers by parachute somewhere really isolated with only a survival kit and just overfly them once or twice a day to see whos still kickin as they try to hump out of the boonies....

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

I'll be going to the same standing Survivor party that I've been going to since the series began.

Takes place at the house of a guy that -used- to be a skipper at the Jungle Cruise at Disneyland and his backyard looks like it could be picked up and transplanted right into the set complete with jungle huts, waterfalls, tiki torches and a nice fire pit we all sit around to watch the show.

I'll have to take a photo and put it up.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Thanks for the reminder, I thought it was next week.

I'll be watching!! Hey, they had clips from the new "Great Race" series..They are gonna do a tandem skydive during part of the race. Probably one of the challenges or something.

I wonder where they did the jump?

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

Yes, I know it's become very unpopular to like Survivor, but I can't help myself! I am just fascinated by the personalities, watching how they all interact and react to stress. Only nine minutes left! Go ahead, call me sick!

Luna

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!

Against popular opinion... I love Survivor.
Just finished watching the 1st episode... had to tape it because the scheduled Water training tonight at the same time. Skydiving training of course took priority, but it was a close call.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing"

Oh wow, Quade, how fun! Even if I didn't like Survivor, I'd pretend to just so I could go to that house every week.

What'd you think about how they divided up the teams, just like in the old days in elementary school? I thought that was horrible!

I was really cheering for the old team when they were beating the pants off the young team that thought they were so hot. Too bad the one chick messed up on the puzzle. But, I loved them booting off the annoying guy, and not her!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I would rather stay in Thailand proper than be on that show. :)
Thailand Tourism Hints:

- You don't need to speak Thai to get around. Everyone speaks "Engrish" fairly well. There are loads of ex-pat Europeans and Americans living there so it's not so difficult to find your way about.

- The baht is so inexpensive you will be inundated with baht when you change your currency. What's *VERY* cool is that purchases in Thailand are VERY inexpensive. A four star hotel will run you a couple hundred baht per night... but you are really paying towards $50.

- Real Thai people put the traditional flavoring in their soups (there are lots of soups to be had in this country). If you are at a beer bar and you like hot stuff, politely ask that you "Don't want your soup for fahlong," you want it "hot, spicy, yum-yum." They will get the idea. Most of the spices are spicy like eating a fresh jalapeño, but others are MUCH hotter!

- Bangkok is nice, for five minutes. You don't need to spend more than a day there before you've seen enough of it. Try out the Tuk Tuks... they are kind of like jeepneys. Really cool rides.

- Avoid Pattaya. You will see nothing there but Eurotrash and hookers crawling around the resorts. Instead, go to the remote islands.

- Do Chang Mai! It's up in the north. AWESOME place, it's the spiritual capitol of the country. Best to catch up on your Buddhism knowledge.

- Ko Se Chung is the most beautiful asian island I've seen yet. Very nice locals, and many families will let you stay with them so you don't have to go to hotels.

- Don't step on a baht or anything that disparages the king. It has the likeness of the king on it. The entire population love the king over there much like people who adored Diana over here. People would take offense to you dissing on this guy like you would take offense to some artistic brat putting a crucifix in a jar of urine. This is one *very* popular mega-old dude!

If you do get the oppourtunity to go to an Asian country, Thailand is probably the best place you can go to see a traditional Asain culture that hasn't been overwesternized like Singapore, China, Japan and Malaysia have.

It is still a poor country, but compared to its neighbors (Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam) it is much better off, and it's been stable since the Portuguese left. The locals think ALL Americans are ultra rich, and for the short time you are there... you are rich.. compared to the people who live there.

Man, that brings back some memories!! I spent a year in Thailand - 1970-1971 - and just LOVED it!! The people there are just awesome and they really appreciate it if you take the time to learn to speak just a little Thai (you'll even get better deals on stuff you buy when you haggle with them in their own language). I haven't been back there since, but GOD I'd love to go again.
Chris- it sounds like you've been there in the not-too-distant past - what is the baht exchange rate now? Back in the early 70's is was like 20 baht to the dollar.
Sawatdee Krup!

Brisco

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Man, that brings back some memories!! I spent a year in Thailand - 1970-1971 - and just LOVED it!! The people there are just awesome and they really appreciate it if you take the time to learn to speak just a little Thai (you'll even get better deals on stuff you buy when you haggle with them in their own language). I haven't been back there since, but GOD I'd love to go again.

Chris- it sounds like you've been there in the not-too-distant past - what is the baht exchange rate now? Back in the early 70's is was like 20 baht to the dollar.

Sawatdee Krup!

Latest Thai exchange rates

I guess I'm not surprised - 30-odd years will do that! I was with the Air Force in Korat (north east of Bangkok) and at that time I was only earning $150 a month and I was considered "rich" by the locals. And I guess I was, because even on that meager salary I was able to afford to rent a pretty nice house downtown and still have enough money left over to party with all month long!

Brisco

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.