-Joey-

Does this rig look safe?

Someone on classifieds sent me this photo of their rig:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0z3N6KAjqGJMldxeXNpRk1oa1k/edit?usp=sharing
(Use the mouse wheel to zoom in or click the "100%" button for full resolution)

When zooming in, the main flap looks a little frayed and there are a few spots that look worn especially on the right leg pad. Is this anything I should be concerned about or is that considered normal? The DOM on the container is '96, according to the seller.

Just want to make sure this is safe and not a death rig before buying. Thanks!!
Skydiving is serious business

No one can tell you if this rig is good to go by looking at that pic. I do see possible wear on the legstrap, but I can't tell by just the pic. The fraying on the main flap looks like a poorly sewn repair of the stiffener or velcro. The wear on the right legpad is just on the ROL spandex pocket where the pilot chute used to go before it was fitted with a BOC pouch.

FWIW I do not see any problem that says "do not buy", but that is not worth much at all. Unless it is dirt cheap insist on the right to have your rigger or an escrow service inspect it. If you can get good references for the seller and use paypal and he agrees to a purchase inspection then it is reasonable to agree that you pay shipping pending inspection.

Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Joey, You've got a lot of good folks up there in your neck of the woods who can help guide you thru the purchase process. As to this rig, it is so very not freefly friendly if your considering it for those kinds of jumps, I'd have to say there are better options for you.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

Joey, You've got a lot of good folks up there in your neck of the woods who can help guide you thru the purchase process. As to this rig, it is so very not freefly friendly if your considering it for those kinds of jumps, I'd have to say there are better options for you.

Yeah, freefly is what I want to get into, so I should probly pass. They also said the main is DOM '96 and has only 200 jumps, which doesn't sit right with my BS alarm...
Skydiving is serious business

They also said the main is DOM '96 and has only 200 jumps, which doesn't sit right with my BS alarm...

I believe that's called a closet queen. Someone always intended to get back into skydiving, and didn't.

Me, I always intended to get back into skydiving, and did :)
Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Riggers often buy and sell used gear. It probably is not his personal rig. You can't verify jump numbers. All you can do is have it inspected for it's condition. Buying used gear is a nightmare for someone like you. Because you don't really have a clue and must trust others. Develop a relationship with a rigger that people you trust recommend. There is no way for you to develop the knowledge you need before you buy.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I suppose there's no way to verify advertised jump numbers on a main though, is there?

A person experienced in the signs of wear that occur on mains can confirm it is plausible, just be sure to not try to evaluate it yourself. Such closet queen gear is common. If it is true, then the main could be a very good deal.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

-Joey-

Yeah, although this guy said he is a rigger. Hard to imagine a rigger would jump ~12 times a year...

I suppose there's no way to verify advertised jump numbers on a main though, is there?

There are plenty of riggers out there that don't jump at all. ;) It's not a requirement in the civilian world for a rigger to jump their own pack jobs.

Also, it very well could be one of the closet queens that the rigger got a good deal on, and has no need to jump the rig. I've got an older Racer sitting in my closet, right next to a PDR-176. I'd jump either of them, just far too lazy to put them together and do it. :D:D

No, they're not for sale. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Just want to make sure this is safe and not a death rig before buying

The way you do that is not by posting a pic on the internet and fishing for comments. What you need to do is get a rigger in your area to be your 'buddy' on your all of your gear purchases.

First, consult with your instructor as to what size main/reserve you should be looking for, and then forward all of the 'maybes' to your rigger. If they think an ad looks good, get the ball rolling on getting the gear to your rigger for an inspection. If the seller send it without payment, great and if not make sure you have a good 'return policy' if it doesn't pass fit or pass inspection.

Used equipment needs to be inspected by a rigger to be sure it's airworthy and up to date in terms of mods or recalls. No exceptions.