Rookeskydiver

How do you transfer a vhs video to you computer?

Just Send the video, $20 and a SASE to:

Skydiving video Conversions
Attn: Gary Lum
123 Roxanne Ct
Walnut Creek Ca

Please allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. Not repsonsible for loss of tape or materials. No refunds, no exchange...

LOL
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

If you're in the mood to upgrade your video card I suggest the ATI Radeon series of cards. My "First generation" All in Wonder card (video in and out, tv in and out, runs digital monitors, etc, etc, etc) is more than enough to do everything you want. I'll bet you could find some gamer that just hasto have the latest and greatest and will sell you one cheap. Full driver support right up to XP for even the early cards too!

the dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

If you had a video camera and the ability to get the video from the camera to your PC that would work as well (firewire for example). Record the VHS to (in this example DV since I have tried this) and then send it to an editing/encoding program on the computer.

Does the target file end up as a digital file that can be edited by other software, just as if it had come from a digital camcorder? This would be a good way to include stuff in a digital video that had to be copied to VHS first because it started out as PAL standard video. I have a couple like this.

Thanx, Harry
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

As an alternative to all these wonderful, complex, expensive solutions, you could just buy a Mac. All hardware and software already there.:P

I am of course impressed by the current series of Apple TV commercials. I am less impressed by Gateway pretending to be Macs.

Ducking flack from Redmond, WA, and Gateway Cowland, I am

HW

"This would be a good way to include stuff in a digital video that had to be copied to VHS first because it started out as PAL standard video. I have a couple like this."

Unlikely to produce satisfactory results, using anything described above.
If you are going to watch your video on a TV, its probably best to get it done by a pro, I think there was a contact further up the list.
Its all about compression, and resolution, also transferring PAL to NTSC is tricky, there are 4 frames missing per second.....so it looks crap.

Sorry to be negatve, but I've tried this on several occassions overthe years and it just doesn't workB|
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I got a D-Link D-100 USB device, used, for $20. It works like a champ, and you don't have to open your computer.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."