nacmacfeegle

Huffermoose/Rgoper

Okay guys, I know you be interested in this, and as the pics are quite dramatic, I thought I 'd let the rest of the forum know about the stuff we do.....

"Jack-up off the coast of Saudi (near the Kuwati border) .... collapses

Heard from Aramco that the rig fell over sometime over the weekend. The accident occurred in the Neutral Zone between Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, the rig was one of the offshore platforms that Aramco took back from the Japanese. It fell on the platform it was working on and damaged the wellheads, which are leaking oil, gas, and H2S. Aramco is now trying to figure out how to repair the platform."

Thats all I know guys.....
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

rig collapse 2.jpg

rig collapse 3.jpg

rig collapse 1.jpg

Andre, not flaming, just chatting:P

"take some sort of quiet perverse pleasure when other engineers fuck up."

Hmmm, not the case with me, I've lost friends in two incidents (Piper A explosion, and the puma crash off the Cormorant).
In this instance, as with most others it was probably poor management. This design of rig is in use all over the world, so it looks to me like some sort of 'operator error'.

I suspect.....
Shitty welding on the jacking legs.
Bad leg placement (spud can on a boulder?)
Fatigue of the leg, unnoticed during dry dock examinations.

Far east fabrication yards have a shocking reputation for poor workmanship, and that may have been an issue here too.

I earn a living trying to prevent this sort of thing happening, I therefore hear about a whole heap of nasty stuff that simply doesn't make the normal press.

Besides, have you ever watched a swoop video and slo-mo'd the chows......Its the same sort of thing you are decrying.

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Hey Nacmac
No worries, I get you.
I have seen my share of bodies and crushed limbs when things go wrong. It is not a thing to laugh at.
Hell I once ended up in China to repair yellow phospherous ISO tank containers that we had manufactured and they were starting to leak. Not funny and damn scary.

To clarify my previous post. When I saw the pics my first thought was of an engineer standing in front of his boss trying to explain exactly why a X million dollar steel structure was lying at the bottom of the sea and why it was not his fault. I have been there hence the giggle....I did state that it was perverse.

Andre

No offence Scratch, :)
Not all the pictures I get, or incidents I hear about are suitable posting material...[:/]

--------------------

Ah the old rubber bungee around the dead mans handle trick.
Not clever.
As to why, his hands were getting tired fighting with the hose and holding the handle down so he chose to take the handle out of the equation.[:/]

What grit/shot was he using?

Okay guys, I know you be interested in this, and as the pics are quite dramatic, I thought I 'd let the rest of the forum know about the stuff we do.....

"Jack-up off the coast of Saudi (near the Kuwati border) .... collapses

Heard from Aramco that the rig fell over sometime over the weekend. The accident occurred in the Neutral Zone between Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, the rig was one of the offshore platforms that Aramco took back from the Japanese. It fell on the platform it was working on and damaged the wellheads, which are leaking oil, gas, and H2S. Aramco is now trying to figure out how to repair the platform."

Thats all I know guys.....

That rig collapse 2 picture looks like some set from MGM studios or a ride at universial or something :)

I'm so glad I'm a "desk-jockey" now. I've been involved an seen some stuff even the movie industry couldn't recreate or want to try.

Anyways I hope everyone was able to evac the rig an there were no serious injuries.

From the 3 pictures you've posted it looks at first glance to be a "Maint & Op-error" I'm sure someone is in a nice mahagony paneled office trying to explain what happened..

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

THe biggest mistake I have seen was the Sleipner concrete gravity base hitting the bottom of a fjord, it was so heavy it registered as an earthquake :S, I was working on the design of the deck at the time....Nobody hurt so worth a giggle....
http://www.ima.umn.edu/~arnold/disasters/sleipner.html

--------------------

YOU CAUSED AN EARTHQUAKE!! Dang SD I knew you were big an fall like a greased anvil but dayummmmmmm! B|:P

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Free:

this rig is (was) working for Saudi-Aramco in the gulf off of the coast of Kuwait, unbelievably, no lives were lost, but a few injuries, which i shant expound on just now, as i haven't the time. i'm in the Saudi-Arabian desert close to Dahran on a Sante-Fe international rig drilling deep gas wells (working for Saudi-Aramco as well), and hope to be home ALIVE by the end of the month. nacmac, thanks for asking, Free (my sweetheart) thanks as well. hooknswoop got my rig back to me today (well to my house) i can't wait to get back in the air! B| you know you trust a rigger when you ship your rig out of state to get the reserve repacked after a cut-away!;) thanks Derek! :) the trip here was just that..a TRIP, i ain't kiddin' flew austin-memphis tenn-tenn-amsterdam-amsterdam-saudi-arabia, then back to bahrain, then had to travel about 300 kilometers south just to get to the rig, i can't wait to get home! ya'll be safe, have fun, and take care i'll see you soon.

--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

I guess they didnt flare enough....

i have just as good a sense of humor as the next person, but that's not even funny. maybe i'm being sensitive? think before ya post...PLEASE!?!?:( DOH!
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"