baronn

1 ring risers

Hi Kid,

Does this even makes sense?

Yup, it sure does. See Peter Chapman's post above.

I have seen photos of some Russian rigs with 1-ring risers and the other rings mounted onto the harness; just the reverse of what is the normal configuration.

JerryBaumchen

PS) Now an unrelated question ( just because I am a very curious person ): When writing a reply post, when I click on the 'quote' button to begin a quote, then click on the '/quote' button, why am I still within the Quote box? Maybe some glitches in this new system?

Hi Kid,

Does this even makes sense?

Yup, it sure does. See Peter Chapman's post above.

I have seen photos of some Russian rigs with 1-ring risers and the other rings mounted onto the harness; just the reverse of what is the normal configuration.

JerryBaumchen

PS) Now an unrelated question ( just because I am a very curious person ): When writing a reply post, when I click on the 'quote' button to begin a quote, then click on the '/quote' button, why am I still within the Quote box? Maybe some glitches in this new system?

Yup!
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Not sure what some of these replies even mean. Clearly they are not right. They were not on the rigs but, looked like they came from them. Was just looking to see if anyone else had ever seen these, they are NOT going back on them. Perhaps that might clarify the reason for the post. Please try to keep the replies on that track. Thanks

Not sure what some of these replies even mean. Clearly they are not right. They were not on the rigs but, looked like they came from them.

Well, we're confused about what the heck you saw, and have given examples of the closest we've ever seen to what we think you saw, given a vague description of what you saw, even if it isn't the same as what you saw...

Any more info you can give us on the mysterious gear you saw?? Did the risers have just one ring, not two, and still have a loop through a grommet? Actual risers with attachment points for lines and steering toggle? [Edit:] Since you mentioned Vectors rather than 'hogs, you can't be talking about Capewells or Boothwells either, rather than an actual ring?

Dear Sir,

If the parachute system is rigged into a "Vector-like" Harness-container system, it must be a soviet Lesnik parachute, used in some Smoke Jumper organizations.
If it comes rigged into a front-and-back configuration, it could be a PTL-72, UT-15, D-5, or others, used, too, by Smoke Jumper.

For your information, the KZU (Soviet 3-ring) functionality is identical to the normal 3-ring release system, but the soviet designers turned to the "Western" due compatibility issues.

Hoping to have aided,

Best regards
Juan Fraile-Nuez
Military Parachute Rigger (ret.)
Spain, Europe

Yes. Shakedown cruise, and all that. ;) Anyhow, I've already pinged Meso & described it in the Errors & Bugs forum.

Hi Juan

If the parachute system is rigged into a "Vector-like" Harness-container system, it must be a soviet Lesnik parachute, used in some Smoke Jumper organizations.

Actually, Lesnik 2 and 3 are main on the back-reserve on the chest configuration Lesnik 2 has almost identical container with D-6/4. Do you mean Talka?
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Hi Juan,

I've never seen Lesnik 1, nor I've ever heard of it. But... giving the fact that Lesnik series are drogue deployed square parachutes designed for the smokejumpres, I would guess that Lesnik 1 is using the same setup like 2 and 3 .

Several Russian and Ukrainian riggers post here from time to time. I hope that they will share their knowledge with us, so we can both learn something new.

Take care :)

"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Hi Jerry,

Is 'Talka' terminology for a complete system?

"Talka" is a Russian H&C system.
If you ever see a Talka 3 it will most likely be with Radar main canopy ( 170ish sq.ft low porosity 9 cell piece of crap) and a proven PZ -81 "rogalo" reserve.
I have pictures somewhere :)

I was in Poland in 2000 and a young woman was jumping a Talka canopy; a true knock-off of a Para-Foil

Never heard of Talka canopy.

Little Russian history here:

Before 1990 all skydiving equipment in USSR was constucted by "Research Institute of Para-drop Equipment" (NII Paracutebuilding in russian) and was produced by 3-d Sewing Factory (Ivanovo town).
In USSR all the parachute system have same name. Mean "Po-17" - contain h\c po-17, reserve canopy PZ-81 (but marked Po-17 because of system).

So, Ivanovo produced -
-para-troop systems (D-5\D-6\D-10)
-round sport canopies (T-4 (round canopy with holes) UT-15 (like Para-Comander)). Thats bacause in USSR\Russia army there is no AFF programm, and sportsmans jump rounds before squares. Lesnik-1 - smokejumper round canopy with drogue.
-square systems (Po9, Po16 with reserve on the chest, Po-17 with reserve on the back and spring-loaded main PC). Lesnik-2 - smokejumper square canopy with drogue.

After 90 Ivanovo created their own line of parachute equipment:
Talka - with their own h\c (vector1 clone), PZ-81 reserve (sometimes marked as Talka too) and Po-16 main canopy (sometimes marked as Talka too). It was accuracy system.

In 93 they created Talka-3-
skaled down container, main canopy Radar (knock-off (bad) of Raider with lengthered lines "for stability") and PZ-81 reserve.

Sometime later they make Impulse line (they changed reserve canopy to Radar).
Yes, that sound weird - 2 (bad) mains in one system.

Anyway - from 95 no one actually buy Ivanovo production - it were VERY poor quality of workmanship and many construction flauws.

Ivanovo sell para-troop and sport equipment to goverment only (and after that it sometimes came to civilian market).

NII Paracutebuilding before and after 90 made some sport rigs, like Po-21\23\2xx (for accuracy), canopy with crossbrases (Po-25, actually, I'm pretty sure that they cross-brase design was before PD, I saw some photos from, like, 85..)

And - before they stop production (96-98) they used reversed 3-ring (KZU), so, if you saw modern-like h\c with hand deploy PC with reversed 3 ring - most of the times it was NII AUS designs.

Sorry for bad English.
Lexa

Hi Alexey,

Thanks for the input; lot's of folks here will appreciate.

Talka - with their own h\c (vector1 clone), - VERY poor quality of workmanship

I also saw these in Poland in 2000 when I was there. Yup, they did the best that they could to duplicate a Vector I, and the workmanship was not up to US standards IMO.

JerryBaumchen