ernokaikkonen

Do you smoke?

And before anyone gets funny ideas were talking about regular over-the-counter tobacco here. Sometime ago I checked the "Top20 jumpers this year" list at my dropzone, and I was a bit surprised to see that 16/20 people on the list were smokers!

So I decided to do some highly scientific research on the subject by posting a poll.:)

>Talking about quitting - I've just received a hamper of Nicorette
>stop smoking stuff from a pr company ... hee hee ...

I'm I the only one who thinks that it's somewhat useless trying to kick a nicotine habit by using nicotine products?

Is there anybody out there who actually quit smoking with help from that stuff? And of course after that quit using the patches/hum/whatever as well?

I just went cold turkey...

Chewing Tobacco....

Levin uses that stuff, I was going to ask him one day about that disgusting smelling, foul tasting, unhealthy weed thing, but then realised the irony as I lit up a ciggie....:S

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Smoke? Not a chance! I was lucky enough to grow up in a generation that knew smoking = death and I was just too stubborn to give into peer pressure by the rest who didn't quite get the message.

I'll never understand the what goes on in the minds of the youth today that pick it up. It's like jumping out of planes to look cool, or have fun...

Cheers,
NewGuy B|

>Are you familliar with that type of 'chewing tobacco'
>that comes in a little pouch that you put in your cheek and suck.

Yeah I know the stuff, I've tried it too but it really wasn't my cup of tea... but I could feel the nicotine buzzing in my head. Strong stuff!

It's pretty popular among young athletes here in Finland(especially hockey and football players), they prefer it to smoking since it doesn't ... damn, have a hole in my vocabulary here... you know, it doesn't make it difficult to breathe.

It's not really sucked(at least not here), but rather placed under your upper lip and left there. The nicotine gets in your blood through your mucus membranes. The more popular type here isn't in pouches either, most people make a small 'cake' from it by using a modified syringe(without the needle of course), and then use that to place the 'cake' under their lip.

Disgusting, yup, my words exactly.

>Ah!! so that would explain why I nearly fell over.
>That stuff kicks like a mule.

:D Do you think you fell victim to a practical joke or was it just a genuine misunderstanding due to a language barrier?

> God forbid you swallow it

I'm sure that would... umm... make your stomach work really well!B|

Are you familliar with that type of 'chewing tobacco'
that comes in a little pouch that you put in your cheek and suck. Now that is disgusting.
A Swede once gave me some to try:SB|

I don't feel like I should be having to watch out for flying residue from someone who might get the idea that since they can't smoke..lets chew tobacco and spit when we fly......eeeaackkkk!

>I don't feel like I should be having to watch out for flying residue
>from someone who might get the idea that since they can't smoke..
>lets chew tobacco and spit when we fly......eeeaackkkk!

The kind discussed here isn't the american kind seen in westerns. It's not sucked, chewed or spat[spitted?], it's just left under your upper lip for a while. But often it starts to drip down the users front teeth... yuck.

The kind discussed here isn't the american kind seen in westerns. It's not sucked, chewed or spat[spitted?], it's just left under your upper lip for a while. But often it starts to drip down the users front teeth... yuck.

Yes, you do put it under you upper or lower lip, but it does cause your mouth to salivate. And if you swallow to much of it it makes you puke. You do have to spit once and a while, but not as much as you see in westerns. Of course..you can still buy it in sticks and plugs which you do have to chew to form it to the shape so it fits under you lip. I am experience in the matter. I smoked for 4 year...gave up smoking for chewing tobacco...I quit chewing tobacco about 8 months ago. I'm tobacco free now, and talk about the money I am able to put towards my jumping course because I stopped.;)

I think that cold turkey is the way to go for me....I believe in the power of the human mind,but if it takes an outside source (gum, patch, etc...) to direct your mind, so be it. I think all that is needed is a clear visualization of yourself not smoking in the future in order to quit....and preferably not visualizations induced by LSD!;) (Good visualization article on dz.com, it can be used for anything!)
Jesse

-Scratch- It´s called SNUS in Swedish. And yes it´s awfull!

I used to smoke like one pack a day for about five years. I hven´t lit one up for nearly two years now and I probably never will again :)
Why did I quit? How can anyone afford smoking and skydiving? When it came down to that dessicion it really wasn´t so tough anymore...;)

...Hmmm.. 'Snus' in swedish or 'Nuuska' in Finnish - I used it for 5 years. Really heavy stuff and takes quite an effort to quit. But now I'm 'clean' for two years already!
BTW, I never smoked in my life...so technically no "regular over-the-counter tobacco" for me!

Nope, never done that. Actually I don't think I've ever seen the stuff.

You know, this thread is starting to feel like a gross-out contest... Bluefingers, had your lunch yet?

Nope, learnt my lesson. All this talk of tobacco et al .... I'll be back in 2mins, need a smoke break:P

Kerry

never really smoked but my skydive "nuusk" friends introduced me to this horse piss smelling stuff, and I'm a proud user.
Advantages:
- clothes don't smell like a forrest fire in the morning
- fingers don't turn yellow
- no bad breath (hope not)

Disadvantages:
- kissing is difficult and messy ;)

My appreciation goes to my skydive buddies. Liimis, Korni and Löysä may we be ever blessed with "THE NUUSK"