Staso

if skydiving was safe ...

i was talking with my friend yesterday and came to the interesting idea.
if skydiving was completely safe, would it lose some of its appeal ? would
you like it the same if danger wasn't present ? would you like it to be safe ?

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

don't think I've ever skydiced.. BUT dicing in the kitchen is pretty dangerous with the threat of lost limbs n stuff SO I guess SkyDicing would be pretty dangerous too....
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

I love it for what it is - the danger is just a "side effect" (What's skydiCing anyway? :P)

Is it like making Julienne Flies?
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

hey if I had a magic ring or something that could make skydiving ENTIRELY safe (and do so without interfering with freefall or the canopy ride) then hell yes, I would definitely wear that ring everytime. I don't need to die to have fun.:)

Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Safe...
"Well you take a chance getting up in the morning, crossing the street, or sticking your face in a fan..." -Frank Drebben, Police Squad:D

I don't know that I do it for the danger. Sure the rush is there, but I think I just like to fly. And being safe is always being reinforced.

The thrill of the skydive would not be lost.

the example with wind tunnel is very good. if it wasn't for danger part,
freefalling and going to wind tunnel would be the same, wouldn't it ?

some people don't like canopy ride. not me, i love it. but for some who
does RW and doesn't like canopy ride, would it make any sense to go
skydiving instead of using wind tunnel ? which is safe and cheaper ?

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

It would still be fun, but I wouldn't talk about it at bars and parties as much.

Joe

don't your friends hate you already for talking about skydiving all the tame ? B|

--
Speed Skydiving Forum

Here's an idea to drop on ya:

If it were safe, because of whatever difference in physics, I'm sure we'd find some way to push it to the envelope and put it back into the "not so safe" category.

-doug
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

For me, the only appeal of the danger is telling others about it. There's a perception among whuffos that this sport is dangerous, and that makes them look at me a little differently.

The experience itself is a spiritual one - I don't do it because it's dangerous. I would definitely do it if it was 100% safe, but I would be far less cautious about it :P

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I COMPLETELY agree with you. I can understand that danger does have some alure about it, but let's face it. If we could get back everyone that was hurt or killed, it would be an even better sport. Dangerous or not skydiving is unbelievable.

I would take safty anyday.

Here's an idea to drop on ya:

If it were safe, because of whatever difference in physics, I'm sure we'd find some way to push it to the envelope and put it back into the "not so safe" category.

-doug

well, that's why i'm doing speed dives :)

stan.

--
Speed Skydiving Forum

I think we can forgive people for the mis-spellings that even the spell-checker wouldn't catch :ph34r:

c'mon, when skydicing becomes an official term, i'll be the one who will claim it ! :):):)

stan.

--
Speed Skydiving Forum