Terruko

New to skydiving, need gear information.

Hello, I will be going to take the AFF course soon and I'd like to get some info in gear and such things before buying my own. I know, I'm not buying gear anytime soon but I'd like to get as much information about this as possible, like brands, types of gear and what's necessary and what's not. So my budget will be $3,500 just for the important stuff like parachute and things like that, is that enough to get a decent one? apart from that what other things are a must have?

Thanks in advance.

For once you qualify -

Necessary:
Container.
Main Canopy.
Reserve Canopy.
Altimeter.

Important:
Helmet.
Jumpsuit.
Goggles.

Optional:
Everything else.

OR, if you want to be THAT guy.

Necessary:
Color coordinated rig / Jumpsuit combo.
Go Pro.

Optional:
Everything else.

:ph34r:

Don't worry too much about researching gear just yet. You'll have plenty to keep your attention when you start AFF.

I'm a noob so doesn't matter too much what I think, but these things are mandatory on many DZs as I understand, and you're giving advice to someone who doesn't even have jumps probably.
Well, one can tell that a reserve is optional, you only need it in case of (gear) malfunction, right?

Your putting a reserve and an AAD in the same category...really?

OP - just relax. If your DZ has any desire to make you a competent skydiver the gear will be explained to you in due time. Try not to fill your head with pre conceived opinions and 'Internet facts' that are not relevant to you yet. Once you understand the how and whys of the gear we use you will be in a much better position to figure out the who and what and pick gear that your comfortable with. You will be surprised at how quickly your knowledge grows!

Good luck dude

OP - just relax. If your DZ has any desire to make you a competent skydiver the gear will be explained to you in due time. Try not to fill your head with pre conceived opinions and 'Internet facts' that are not relevant to you yet. Once you understand the how and whys of the gear we use you will be in a much better position to figure out the who and what and pick gear that your comfortable with. You will be surprised at how quickly your knowledge grows!

Good luck dude

Relaxing is a good advice. Also listening to your instructors is recommendable. However, some healthy scepticism is always recommendable also at the DZ, not only on the internet. Reading these forums is a great way to learn about this sport. Infact I actually think most of the times you will find there is not only one single answer to your question. At the DZ a skygod might make you believe there is. This is why I think you are in the right place to come and browse these forums.

I started reading these forums almost at the same time I signed up for my FJC. Have learned a lot and still learning. Carry on.

The topic is, frankly, too big to be answered in posts. Firstly, in case you were intending this - don't buy gear for your AFF. You'll be provided appropriate gear and will not be ready for your own until some way past your graduation.

For then, here are some terms you can read up about to further your knowledge. Reading up on them yourself in your own time will give you a far greater knowledge depth than simply having them explained in any event.

wing loading
elliptical vs semi-elliptical vs. "square"
F111 vs ZP (zero porosity) vs hybrid
hard housing riser inserts
metal D-ring reserve handle vs soft "freefly handle"
fully/partially articulated harness
collapsible pilot chute
RSL (reserve static line)
AAD (automatic activation device)

That's a very much non-exhaustive list of things off the top of my head that might be good to look into to start building general gear knowledge. The best thing to do however is a first jump course followed by the rest of your AFF and generally hanging round with your instructors talking about gear. You probably shouldn't consider spending north of $3k without help until you've built a good broad base of knowledge.

There is a small number of big name manufacturers in the parachute market, each making a number of different models which themselves come in different sizes. Different models can have very different flight characteristics and some are highly unsuited to new jumpers. As in, you will kill yourself with it. For parachute size - read up on wing loading, as listed above, it's important and closely linked to risk.

There's a smaller number of reserve models available and historically at least, not all reserves are equal. The most modern designs have perhaps less between them though there are still distinctions to be drawn.

Equally, there are a small number of big name container manufacturers who produce, often, a number of different models, again in different sizes to match your canopy size choices. Drilling down further, they offer oodles of different options (sometimes bling/comfort related rather than safety, but not always). Most makes have their fans and detractors. Of the most modern designs, there is often little between them from a safety point of view, though again they are not indistinguishable. Some will say that it can come down to features/options/comfort once you've settled on a few key required points to narrow the field.

The harness portion of containers tend to be built to measure so either to your measurements or to the original owners measurements if you're buying second hand. Fit is important, within certain tolerances.

There's a very small pool of AAD options and as above they are not always mandatory for qualified skydivers but are highly recommended, especially for newer jumpers. Some DZ's and indeed countries do mandate their use, at least for certain experience levels.

I would repeat though, reading can only take you so far. Understanding will usually only come from being round experienced jumpers and taking in the sport first hand and can take time. I'm always a fan of people reading generally into something they're passionate about though so welcome and happy researching!

DOn't worry about buying gear if you have not even made a jump yet. Your AFF progression will include gear and as you progress you'll learn about the gear and how it works. Over time you'll progress from very large student canopies to smaller student canopies appropriate for your weight and skill. Once you approach your A license, you'll have an idea about what would be an appropriate size canopy, with the assistance and advice of your instructors. There is plenty of good used gear available for purchase and $3500 will probably buy you a decent rig -- with reserve and main, with mid-time AAD. AAD's are generally required at most USPA DZs and they are a good piece of gear that provides a fail safe in the event of a no pull or free fall collision. Concentrate on your flying and canopy skills, the gear will take care of itself as you become ready to purchase your own.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

I see your point, but still I think that AAD is closer to reserve (reserve activation device?) than "everything else after goggles"

The odds that you'll need your reserve are orders and orders of magnitude higher that the odds that you'll need your AAD unless you're purposefully not pulling and counting on your AAD to do its job.

You've got about a 1/1000 chance of a malfunction on every jump. Would you jump without a reserve?

Most people get thousands of jumps over tens of years without every having really *needed* an AAD. Would you jump without an AAD?
Owned by Remi #?

Your putting a reserve and an AAD in the same category...really?

I see your point, but still I think that AAD is closer to reserve (reserve activation device?) than "everything else after goggles" :S

Okay - Let's swing this pendulum of consideration/thought-process back maybe just a wee bit from either side of the "extremes"...

Real world thought process / consideration example(s) - - -

So, you have @80 jumps (according to your profile) ...Which is more important to you, and effective at getting you right now, to become a competent, safe skydiver, presuming you cannot find gear within your affordability/price range right now, that has / with an AAD? Which do you do:

1. You stop jumping altogether until you can save up enough $ to attain a rig that does have an AAD. - or -

2. You buy that perfectly good rig and combination of gear that is right for you in every other way as it exists now - however, that does not have an AAD, because you have a choice (as you apparently do) - and you jump it maintaining your currency (double-entendre & pun slightly intended ;)) - until such time as you can then afford that AAD to add it in some time later/then.

Which do you do?
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

I think that AAD is closer to reserve (reserve activation device?) than "everything else after goggles"

I have made many thousands of jumps without an AAD with no issue. I have made a couple of jumps without goggles (or other eye protection), and remember them as unpleasant experiences that I do not wish to repeat.

Crazy how fast this got off topic and turned I to another AAD argue t thread lol. Get yourself a good altimeter. The rest you will figure out as you go through recommendations of the instructors and coaches. That's what I did and it seems to be working great for me