Deimian

Hackey with tuck tab for Wings?

Hi everyone,

I have a not-so-stupid question regarding Wings and PC handles. Is it possible to:

Use Mirage's (or other manufacturer) freefly hackey (hackey with tuck tab) on Wings containers?
-or-
Sew a tuck tab to a normal hackey for a Wings container?

And to avoid writing another post:

Are low-profile reserve handles specific for every manufacturer? I mean, are there universal handles? Is it possible to take a handle from manufacturer X and put it in a container from manufacturer Y? Is it possible to buy just the metal handle, and reuse the steel wire?

I've been trying to find some information, and regarding the hackey I didn't find anything. Regarding the "universal" reserve handle I've found that it is riggers' decision, but I'm wondering how frequently it happens.

Thank you!

The best thing you could do is go to your rigger and ask him those questions.
Probably 99 % of the people who will respond to your post have no clue what the German rules are. Different countries-different rules :)

"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Like I said they make handles with tabs.... maybe if you called them and asked they might make you what you want? Did you ask them? Or as stated get a rigger to build one for you, can't be all that hard.... however I think it is a stupid idea, personally I think hackey handles suck, so if I was to seek out a handle with a tab, the pud handle wings makes would work much better because hackeys float.

The FF PUD as you call it.... can also be set up on a normal boc set up and not only on a "pull out deployment" set up. The only problem is if the tab comes out you now have a floating handle. The person I know who uses one, has it fallout all the time, I think he had velcro added to that tab to stop that. I don't remember if wings now adds that or not.

Sometimes trying to reinvent the wheel is not practical or safe.

IF that hacky is so great, why do you need a tuck tab? Wouldn't be because of that floating handle, would it?
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I didn't called them because I would like to find a solution within Europe, to avoid worrying about overseas shipments, customs and so on, that is why I ask if it is possible for a rigger to make one, or if there is any issue that I am not aware of. Mirage makes that kind of hackeys, but I don't know anybody else that does it. If it is possible to use Mirage's hackey on wings I can try to find one in Europe. Obviously if I don't get an answer clear enough I'll contact Wings. They've been responsive and helpful when I've contacted them. But before asking about getting a competitors' product to somebody, I would like to hear some independent advice/opinion.

The hackey with a tuck tab looks a good compromise to me between the feeling of a hackey (which I really like) and the safeness of the freefly pud, that's why it looks interesting to me. It is often said that using freefly puds in cold weather is not a good idea, and here it is often cold. You think a hackey with a tuck tab is stupid. Mirage thinks it is not. Please elaborate why do you think that so I can make a better decision. Thank you.

You think a hackey with a tuck tab is stupid.

No I think hackys for a handle is stupid, and I don't care for them for a number of reasons, like they float around and don't stay in place, adding a tuck tab is just a band aid IMHO and don't solve the snag hazard that hackys have.

In theory, there is no reason you couldn't use another mfg's pilot chute and handle, out side of the fact your rig will not have the mating point that those rigs that have that would. Then you will need to have a rigger make a mod to your rig to make it work. So yes you could use a Mirage on wings, most of the time. It would be best for you talk to a rigger you trust to look at your rig and the two of you decide if that is the best set up for what you want to do.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I didn't called them because I would like to find a solution within Europe, to avoid worrying about overseas shipments, customs and so on, that is why I ask if it is possible for a rigger to make one, or if there is any issue that I am not aware of.

Ask Hans Ostermunchner from www.fallschirmdepot.de , he is AFAIK one of the german people to consult for rigging solutions.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I want to see this.

sounds like a pc in tow in the making!

Yesterday I actually replaced a hackey for someone who said that part of it broke.

It was a very creative mix of bartacks and supertack, but he was a jump or two away from having a throw out hackey sans pilotchute.

Sad part is, it was fixed with supertack instead of actually replacing the handle like any sane rigger should do.

Also, OP: you can change the handle on the PC, it's cheaper than buying a new PC.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I want to see this.

It is not so weird an idea. Think of the tab that gets inserted under the container flap as usual, but instead of the tab leading to a pillow, a hackey is attached. I think it comes down to the fact that people like the tab to hold things in place better, but some like the hackey handle. No reason that a hackey handle should have to rely solely on the tension of the mouth of the BOC to hold it in place. Perhaps there is a better way to do it for a hackey, but I like the principle of a bit more holding it in place.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I want to see this.

It is not so weird an idea. Think of the tab that gets inserted under the container flap as usual, but instead of the tab leading to a pillow, a hackey is attached. I think it comes down to the fact that people like the tab to hold things in place better, but some like the hackey handle. No reason that a hackey handle should have to rely solely on the tension of the mouth of the BOC to hold it in place. Perhaps there is a better way to do it for a hackey, but I like the principle of a bit more holding it in place.

I know it's not a weird idea. My comment was that the OP said they could sew a tuck tab to a normal hackey. That's a different story than buying one pre-made by a manufacturer. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I know it's not a weird idea. My comment was that the OP said they could sew a tuck tab to a normal hackey. That's a different story than buying one pre-made by a manufacturer. :P

I didn't say that, I asked ;-P. And anyway, if the manufacturer can do it, I guess a rigger would be able to do it. I mean, what Mirage does is sewing the hackey and the tuck tab to the top of the PC, I can't think about any specific reason why a rigger wouldn't be able to do that. Of course the fact that I can't think about any reason doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Hence my question ;-P. Seeing these pictures it doesn't look like a big deal, but I'm nowhere near having the knowledge of a rigger.

http://www.chutingstar.com/info/mirage-main-pilot-chute

You think a hackey with a tuck tab is stupid.

No I think hackys for a handle is stupid, and I don't care for them for a number of reasons, like they float around and don't stay in place, adding a tuck tab is just a band aid IMHO and don't solve the snag hazard that hackys have.

I use a monkeyfist with no tuck tab, and i have never had an issue with it floating and i only freefly, so it's exposed to the wind all the time.
Preventative maintenance is the key, I have had my BOC replaced twice on my rig in 900 jumps, I never let it get to a "point of need", Consequently I never have issues with handles not being where I put them.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I understand the reason for wanting a freefly hackey which is what UPT calls theirs.

I would like to jump a free fly pud because it is low profile and stays put. However I badly broke two fingers on my throw hand playing softball and now I can not completely wrap them into a decent fist.

I've tried grabbing a pud with that hand and it just doesn't quite give me enough of the handle to feel good using one. I can do it if I concentrate on it at pull time but I would rather just reach, grab and throw without thinking about it.

For those who are in a similar situation the Freefly Hackey makes perfect sense. It's easy to grab and because of the tab it says put (does not float like a normal hackey) and keeps any material from sneaking out of the pouch.

As with all of our gear it's also very important to keep those pilot chutes and pouches maintained.

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Here you go 'ski. This is a tab I sewed onto my Jim Cazer pilot chute for my Infinity container. I have also done it for a Wings and Javelin. For the Javelin I had to stitch-pick the bridle-hider so the tab had a place to go. The tab is just 6-8 layers of cordura or other duck-type fabric. Some zig-zags go all around and three or 4 stripes to give it even more stiffness. I have thought about making it with a stiffener, but saw no reason to change.

The hardest part is sewing it so close to the hackey without PC fabric sliding all over. A post-bed or round-bed machine would be easier and let you stitch closer to the hackey.