Sebazz1

Riggers who do not jump!?!?

My rigger (well, not that I have gear for him to rig, but anyway) was also on my first jump as my reserve side JM, on my cutaway as main side JM, and he does tandems as well. I have not seen him fun-jump, though. Always available for me to answer questions, either in person, on the phone or via e-mail. Dude rawks...

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I am not wierded out by a rigger who does not jump. The head rigger at our DZ right now is a very qualified rigger. Why he does not jump any more? Dunno... I trust him and have seen him work.

I did met another rigger several years ago who did not jump at all. That guy did wierd me out. For no reason just did not trust the fact that he did not jump and was giving advice to people regarding jumping and their gear. I just did not feel comfortable with that at all.

Not sure how I feel about it. Depends on the individual I guess. My last couple reserve pack jobs have been done by a non-jumping rigger.

Thanks for all the responsesB|

Morning, Justin...

I know, which is why I included my (admittedly limited) opinion. Vinnie P at Perris rawks (any locals need a great rigger, pm me and I'll give contact info)! The guy you're talking about is not someone I would give my gear to.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

You'd think anyone with that little altitude awareness/clue would just hang it up and revert to whuffo status.

I think he probably has. He'd have to travel pretty darn far to find a DZ that would likely let him jump. By the way, one of his former AFF instructors mentioned he graduated AFF with over 40 jumps. At least he's persistant!

Dave

Question -- one of my old riggers actually wanted to charge me extra for me to watch him pack my rig. Has anyone run into that? I was floored! He also gave me a free back job for buying gear from him, I took him up on the free pack job (but forgot to remind him it was the freebie until it came time to "pay") then he was like "well I wish you would have told me this was the free one, I could have had xyz pack it"

*scratches head*

thoughts?

Sounds like bullshit to me. The riggers I know don't mind people watching them at all. Then again, the rigger I trust to do my pack jobs invites me over to watch him do the I&R, gives him a chance to teach me more about gear, etc. He just likes teaching people and I definately don't mind learning.:)

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Having some one watch you is ok... but if they person starts asking questions, wanting to see what you are doing etc a 1 and a half repack might take 3 hours. I've replaced a grommet in front of a large crowd and it was very nerve racking and I'd avoid that again if I have a choice on it. I like teachign and I learn more by teaching then anything else so I'd do it for free once I get my ticket, but professional riggers need to make money and if you are there taking up their time that could be spent packing another reserve and putting food on the table.. its hard to do everything for free.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Kevin,

I understand (slightly) the part about wanting to charge to have you watch, if you were going to ask questions and take up a lot of extra time. But I don't understand the part about having someone else do it if it was a free pack job. That doesn't make sense to me.

Kevin,
I understand (slightly) the part about wanting to charge to have you watch, if you were going to ask questions and take up a lot of extra time. But I don't understand the part about having someone else do it if it was a free pack job. That doesn't make sense to me.

The only thing that came to mind when I read that post was that perhaps that rigger was strapped for cash in a "Okay, I need to pack X number of reserves today in order to pay-da-bills".... When 'reminded' that the one he just did was free, he thought, shit! XYZ owes ME a free pack job! I cou'd have spent that 1 and a half hour making money!

But even that is a stretch.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

That doesn't make sense to me

He may have rigging students that need reserve packs to fill in their log book. That would be my first assumption.

Well the person who was "xyz" was in the process of getting his rigging ticket I believe - but why should he pack it because it's "free" ?

Most rigging students don't get paid for the repacks so since he was getting no money for it, it would have been repacked with no money exchanging hands. Everyone would have won... you got your reserve repacked, the student got another repack and the rigger would'nt have had to shell out money.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Well, I'm EXTREMELY fortunate that my Rigger has over 11,000 jumps, he jumps evry day that our DZ is running loads.
He is Dave Dewolf (I you know a rigger in the U.S. and he's never heard of him...start to worry).
He has saved my life on 2 occasions (not reffering to my reserve) with things that others had overlooked with my gear (one of which, while loading, would have 100% killed me on my next jump, no question about it).
The more I hear else where, the more I'm happy at my itty bitty Maytown, just a club/2nd family:)