SpeedRacer

about one-Cessna dropzones

I moved to Frederick, MD in April. The only DZ within 3 hrs of Frederick is Chambersburg, PA, its a little over an hour's drive.

But I showed up there for the first time in over a month on Saturday, to find out that they have retired their King Air for the winter, and now they only have a little Cessna.

Problem was, they had so many student loads booked up, the licensed jumpers didn't get to jump at all, especially since sunset is so early now. Sucks because it was unseasonable warm for this part of the country for November, and how many weekends will we have like that before spring?

I'm pissed because I waited around most of the day & didn't get to jump.

I'm not used to one-Cessna dropzones, is this normal?? How the f&*k do the licensed jumpers ever get to jump at these DZs, what with all the tandem & AFF students getting first priority?
>:(
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

A lot of DZs get rid of their turbines in the winter because they aren't profitable to operate. This has to be planned well in advance to get contracts sorted out and whatnot. I'm sure they try to time it to coincide with the reduction in students that cold weather brings, but it's impossible to predict the weather weeks or months in advance.

I'd give it a few more weeks. Once the weather gets a little colder fewer students will show up.

He He, know the feeling.

I learnt to jump at a one cessna dz and to me its my "home dz". Everybody knows everbody, everyone does their bit for the dz etc. great beer sessions, partys, etc.... But if i wanna do some serious jumping i go elsewhere, because i NEED serious jumping once in a while.....

But ive found you never quite get the same "tight-knit" social scene goiing on at bigger dz's, but hey thats just me.

Regarding students loads, i know what you mean! it can be a bit frustrating when you wanna jump but i enjoy seeing the students having a good time and progressing, which is to me what a dz is about.

Hope you learn to love the place...or trust me, you'll go craaaaazee:S

My suggestion: drive farther. I'm in College Park, MD, not THAT far away. We have Orange, Delmarva, Cross Keys, and Parachutes are Fun all somewhere around 2 hours away.

Since "Fredneck" is in the middle of nowhere I'm sure the drive is a bit longer, but it's definitely worth it. Or do what I do... fly to the DZ. Of course yesterday I flew out as early as I could (plane needed some work done in the morning so I was delayed a little), and I stayed as late as I could (needed to be back before sunset because I haven't done a night checkout flight with a club instructor), and I got no jumps in. One load had gone up an hour before I arrived and another went up about 5 minutes after I left. But at least instead of waiting around all day I took people for plane rides instead.

Dave

I'd have to say that you just have to be patient. It does suck, it sucks a lot, but you've got to remember that dzo's make no money flying experienced loads. All you're paying for is pretty much the gas. Students make the money. If the dz ain't making money then you won't be jumping at all. Like I said, yeah, it sucks. Of course, if you REALLY want to jump you can usually slip onto one or two loads that have one empty slot, or you could become JM. Me presonally, I just hang out with the students and try to keep them happy, entertained, and psyched while they wait, then listen to them ramble with that big ol' shit eating grin when they land. Ya gotta love the way 1st jumpers look and act!

Truman Sparks for President

Welcome to how the 'other half' lives!!

Here in Canada, the jumping season is 6-7 months long at best. Add to this the fact that most DZ's only have one C-182 - 2 if you're lucky. I've been at the sport for a 'season and a month' and I've made 121 jumps in total. To do this it's taken attending every open weekend (friday nights included) but one and several weekday 'after-work' trips (DZ is an hour away).

You need to re-adjust your mindset to survive. I must admit from what I've read on DZ.com, most people who jump year-round DZ's feel it is their God given right to make 8-10 jumps per DAY out of a big plane doing freefly and big ways, etc. Trust me, it ain't like that when you have a 182. Moving on from the one plane element, small DZ's also make most if not all their money from students and tandems so guess who gets bumped? Yup... well, generally.

Think like this....:

- There is no such thing as an 'unimportant' jump. Make each one count, even if it is a solo ... you WILL get used to this when a video'd tandem leaves but one lonely seat in the sardine can. Oh ya, don't forget most Cessna only make it to 9 grand in 20 minutes so bring along 'inflight entertainment'.

- Take the opportunity to practise skills you don't get on a big plane. Learn the 'tight 4 way' exits. Do some sit exits. Chase a tandem (with permission, of course). Hop n pop from the top and REALLY work on your canopy control skills. Take up CReW with a coach. Hell, go for 3,000 ft. hop'n pops just because.

- Spend time on the ground helping your DZO out. Somebody videos the student's landings - why not volunteer. Practise the lost art of packing student gear (pro packing a Manta is quite a chenllenge:P) for credits. Smile at the students and get them talking positively about their first jump. Remember what it was like and help encourage them to return for their second jump. Make WDI's. Hang around with the rigger on staff and consider taking a course. Do whatever it takes to keep entertained and to help out.

Anything you do to help make the off season on the DZ a positive experience will earn you good Karma with the DZO and your fellow jumpers. You may even find yourself being bumped less often, getting the sunset load, or a bit of extra altitude... who knows. One way or the other, I've always had the philosophy that spending a day at the DZ is just that - a rounded experience. It's all good if you make it good.

Dave

PS: In Manitoba, winter jumps happen occasionally. I've been grounded for three weeks and missed today's jumping opportunity for family comittments. Next time out, I'll be jumping form a 172 (!!!:o) with no jump door in full winter conditions. Chew on THAT for a bit and enjoy the loads you get :)

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

I thought Parachutes AreFun wasn't a DZ, just a club that jumps at Delmarva.

Yeah I suppose I could go to Delmarva, that's almost 3 hrs away. But those long drives really take a lot out of you, especially when you don't know what the weather will be like at your destination.:P grumble grumble bitch moan..

Speed Racer

I thought Parachutes AreFun wasn't a DZ, just a club that jumps at Delmarva.

Parachutes Are Fun is a DZ, as far as I can tell. Their website says they have a King Air year round, but I know for sure that it's at a DZ in Illinois for the winter. I'd call before driving out there.

It's all good if you make it good.

Deep. And very true!

I "grew up" at a one Cessna dz. There were lots of days, especially after Point Break came out, that I'd sit around all day and maybe, if I was lucky, get one jump in. There was always something to do - play hacky, make a lunch run, pack something, irritate the rigger, harass the manifest lady, tease the kids, drive the truck to the landing area and back, laugh at landings, catch tandems, dispense knowledge and encouragement to the students... Yeah, it's all good. :)
Of course, that doesn't mean I'd go back to a one Cessna dz on a regular basis now. Turbines are cool, and planes with benches don't hurt my back! ;)

oh sorry indyz, you were right. ParachutesAre Fun is a DZ, but it's right near Delmarva so it doesn't help me in terms of distance. LOL I love the message on their website :PLEASE IGNORE SKYDIVING SIGNS ON U.S. RT. 13 NEAR LAUREL, DE:D

I might wind up taking a winter break from skydiving. With all my other activities/family stuff/other interests that I'm into, spending a weekend at the DZ on the ground with my thumb up my ass doesn't seem to appealing. I got lots of other things to do besides skydiving on the weekends. Plus I'm due for a reserve re-pack in six days (damn 120 day repack rule!), and I'm wondering if its worth it..:P

Speed Racer

Head south for a long weekend... Thanksgiving at CSS will be a blast. Get current then drop the rig off for a repack in mid Jan so its good to go till mid April again.

Just remember the recurrency dates for each licence. If you go too long you might have to pay for a recurrency jump....
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I moved to Frederick, MD in April. The only DZ within 3 hrs of Frederick is Chambersburg, PA, its a little over an hour's drive.

But I showed up there for the first time in over a month on Saturday, to find out that they have retired their King Air for the winter, and now they only have a little Cessna.

Problem was, they had so many student loads booked up, the licensed jumpers didn't get to jump at all, especially since sunset is so early now. Sucks because it was unseasonable warm for this part of the country for November, and how many weekends will we have like that before spring?

I'm pissed because I waited around most of the day & didn't get to jump.

I'm not used to one-Cessna dropzones, is this normal?? How the f&*k do the licensed jumpers ever get to jump at these DZs, what with all the tandem & AFF students getting first priority?
>:(

I had to deal with just this when I was first starting as a jumper, only thing is - they gave priority to the experienced jumpers.. I quickly got discouraged.. went from driving 45 minutes to the dropzone to driving 3 hours just so I could finish my training. After I finished my training, I continued going to this 3 hour dropzone because they had a "real" plane and were a lot more professionally run.

I was peeved, sitting all day to do one jump as a student..

My suggestion: drive farther. I'm in College Park, MD, not THAT far away. We have Orange, Delmarva, Cross Keys, and Parachutes are Fun all somewhere around 2 hours away.

Since "Fredneck" is in the middle of nowhere I'm sure the drive is a bit longer, but it's definitely worth it. Or do what I do... fly to the DZ. Of course yesterday I flew out as early as I could (plane needed some work done in the morning so I was delayed a little), and I stayed as late as I could (needed to be back before sunset because I haven't done a night checkout flight with a club instructor), and I got no jumps in. One load had gone up an hour before I arrived and another went up about 5 minutes after I left. But at least instead of waiting around all day I took people for plane rides instead.

Dave

Dude, what DZ did you go to? Come to orange give me some plane rides :)

Kevin

During the time I was at a one-Cessna DZ, the early morning (:o) was the best time to get some experienced loads off. Kinda hard after a hard night's fun sometimes, but students don't usually show up until mid-morning at the very earliest, and the DZ owner will generally make the pilot show up early if there are jumpers.
Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Dude, what DZ did you go to? Come to orange give me some plane rides :)

Haven't been to Orange yet, but I keep hearing good things about it. I went to Delmarva. While flying I heard the jump planes at both Orange and X-keys. Made the wrong choice I guess. Orange is kind of a pain in the ass for me to fly to because of the washington flight restricton area (I'm on the very opposite side of it), but I'll do it some day.

Dave

I'm not used to one-Cessna dropzones, is this normal?? How the f&*k do the licensed jumpers ever get to jump at these DZs, what with all the tandem & AFF students getting first priority

I'm a staff member at a single 182 DZ. Do students get a priority? Yes, they pay the bills and keep the jump ticket cost low. Do we screw fun jumpers for their sake? No, they're why we're there. If you walk up to maifest and manifest for a load, you will get on a load (with in reason, of course), we do our best to keep everything balanced. I would hope that every DZ operated this way, but I know that's not true.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

It happens. Was this DZ turning their cessna? At SKydive Iowa we can usually get on every other or every thrid load depending on how many Tandems, students, and experienced jumpers their are.

When I get really twitchy I'll ride up w/ static line students for a hop and pop. Be flexable and have fun.

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Hey Speedracer,

I live in Frederick too (moved here in Feb.). I think I met you at West Point this summer.

I drive to Skydive Virginia almost every weekend (~140 miles) and camp out. I sometimes jump at Delmarva and Orange as well, all three of those are good places for experienced jumpers.

There is a fun Cessna dz in Littlestown, PA called The Skydivin' Place that is only 25 miles from Frederick - during the summer I'd go up after work in the evenings to jump and hang out. It's a great place, the people are very nice. http://www.skydive-pa-md.com/ I really like jumping there, and the Cessna is actually kind of a novelty for me still.

Blue skies,
Lynn

Regarding "one cessna" dzs,,( where they consider
25 loads (only 100 skydives) to be a HUGELY
busy day,,,,:S...) ...............I have developed
a motto (after years and years of frustration).....
"I would rather take a turbine,, freefall for 25 SECONDS..........
and find myself at 10,000 feet AGL............
Than to take a Cessna,,,,climb for 25 MINUTES....
and find myself at 10,000 feet AGL.....:)
No offense intended to Cessna,,,, their fine airplanes...... (from which I have logged probably 1,500 jumps) or
DZO's who utilize Cessnas.....
.It's just that there IS something better, in this day and age,,, and If it
means some extra drive time, gasoline and distance,
to get to DZs with bigger planes,,,,,then that's what I will do.....:$ "skydive hard,, skydive often,, skydive with friends"

I've found that a the Cessna DZs I've been to have generally had a more fun group of people, a more open dropzone to new comers and a generally better vibe then the large turbine DZs. This is not saying that I didn't enjoy the large turbine DZs or that the people there don't have fun or are clickish. I'm just saying that the smaller DZs seem to be more open.

Having said that, I've found the people at our dz tend to be more friendly than at larger turbine dz's. While although I'd love to see a turbine at my dz, I'd still rather go to this one because of the people. A dz is much more than it's aircraft.
-----------------------------------
It's like something out of that twilighty show about that zone

You know, there is such a thing as a Turbine Cessna 206. Check the specs out. Max gross takeoff rate of climb is 1950 fpm. Waaawhooo!!!!!!

You can have student and experienced jumpers on the DZ and fly everyone cuz it goes so fast. If I were a DZO that is the plane I would want to start with. Ahhh,,,the pipe dream.

Chris

The conversion for the Turbine 206 is fairly expensive, we had looked to get one when Aggieland was first opening, but ended up going with a regular 182 to start with. That's ok, we'll have a Caravan soon enough...:P

That's ok, we'll have a Caravan soon enough...:P

I jumped a Caravan for the pre-second time this weekend and it was pretty nice. ;) I'd still rather jump an Otter (which my home DZ doesn't have, they have a King Air), but the Caravan was a good jump plane. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over