Maksimsf

Mirage RTS riser covers issue

Just got a great deal on 2003 Mirage RTS with nice PR 281, but riser covers would pop out with slight move of the rig. I talked to a guys at Mirage and my rigger, all of them may do the mod. Anyone knows if that mod will help? I understand that 281 is huge a reserve and that's prpbably the case, but it's withing limitations. Size is M8. i will ask my rigger to do the mod to avoid shipping and keep my fingers crossed :)

Interestingly enough, the first Mirage was put out by Rapid Transit Systems (RTS), in the 1980's. Totallly different rig and manufacturer, just an interesting coincidence.

Or maybe not, but I don't think they're related.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hi Wendy,

I do not absolutely know but I do think that the current Mirage is built under the original RTS TSO.

I was looking at a new Mirage a few years ago, and seem to remember that the data panel said something similar to 'RTS-2.'

And it was TSO'd in the Low Speed Category.

TSO's get sold, licensed, etc quite often; well, not as often as MacDonalds sell burgers but I am thinking you get the picture.

Also, I seem to remember that half ownership of the current company was for sale last year.

Here's your chance to build your own very special Mirage. :P

JerryBaumchen

Mate in my opinion (and opinions are like arse holes every one has one,but for what mine is worth,hear goes).Paratec a German company who produces the Next rig has the best riser covers in the market for the simple reasone.Whilst most manufacturers have their tuck tabs in an open position which means that their normal position is open whilst Paratec simplified the system by making them in a natural closed position which means that if its natural position is closed why should it want to open when not needed.Please check their rigs out cause their construction and simplisity make it one of the most functional rigs out there.I have picked rigs of the ground by the tuck flaps without them opening and no not knew rigs but with a few years of use.As the say dare to be diferent.German engeniring,what can i say.

Not always the Curve dropped them

I can't find the article right now, but I believe RI dropped the magnetic riser covers because o fthe astetics only, not because they did not work.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

I can't find the article right now, but I believe RI dropped the magnetic riser covers because o fthe astetics only, not because they did not work.

I was referring to this thread:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=4287361;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=-1;t=search_engine

which has a link to a post on the RI site that has been deleted but google has a cached version available here:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://rigginginnovations.com/Pages/Posts/ViewPost.aspx?ID=19

And in case that cached copy goes tits up here is the full text:

Design of the Curv is proceeding well and we now have the Vc00, Vc0, Vc1 and Vc2 in the air. The feedback from the individuals jumping the Cuv has been overwhelmingly positive, however the one area that I feel still needs work are the riser cover tuck tabs. When I set the design parameters of the Curv, magnetic riser covers were part of the package. I felt that there were inherent advantages to using magnets. After months of working with the concept, I am no longer convinced that they are the end all of main riser cover design. I have designed and worked 3 distinctly different versions of what I call “Magriser” covers and am still not completely satisfied with the result.
There are three fundamental requirements for any main riser cover design:
1. They must function properly all the time. They must hold in all freefall regimes and they must release cleanly and smoothly.
2. They must be easy to use, with no fiddling or specific technique to close them. Anyone from a beginning skydiver to the most experienced packer must be able to close them easily and quickly.
3. The final design must be clean and aesthetically appealing.
In working with the three versions of the Magriser cover, I feel they have met only the first requirement. All of them have always worked as designed. They hold well and release cleanly. However, reports from users in the field show mixed opinions regarding use and cosmetic appearance.
The response for the Curv has been incredible and the demand for the rig has made it so that I simply do not have time at the moment to put any more effort into refining the magnetic riser covers to perfection. Several users who have been involved with the Curv project from the beginning have urged me to return to the tuck tab riser covers used on the original prototypes. This design fully meets all three requirements and has the advantage of many years and many thousands of jumps on a proven design concept. After much thought and consultation with our RI staff, I have decided to do so.
I believe keeping with the tuck tab riser cover, which is known and proven technology will aesthetically complete the design of the sleekest, most comfortable rig available on the market today. It will allow us to get the rigs to our customers with no further delay as well as get the larger sizes designed faster. The combination of unique features that the Curv offers makes it an obvious choice and I am proud to again be an innovator in harness and container design.

Really it comes down to semantics and your definition of "works".

The design met requirement 1 (functions properly every time) but failed requirement 2 (must be easy to use).

Just my opinion but if your design isn't easy to use, then it doesn't work. whether a design works is answered by how it performs in the field not in theory, and it seems like the decision to go back to traditional tabs validates that.

The third reason was aesthetics.

So it was a combination of usability and aesthetics--the former really being the important one--not looks alone. Maybe after more design iterations the magnetic tabs will come back.

Also didn't the Vector V3 magnets have a habit of opening during FF until they got stronger magnets?

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3400192#3400192

We (UPT) did get some feedback for Babylon about the old style riser covers coming open when doing very extreme atmonauti. Since then, we have received a few (less than 20) other people expressing the same concern. We have come up with a modification that will install another 2 magnets on top of the existing 2 pairs of magnets. This modification can be done by anyone and involves no sewing. If you have a V3 with the old style magnetic riser covers and you would like a kit sent to you, please contact me at [email protected]. Another advantage of this modification is it reduces the "wrinkling" in the yoke of the old design.