wlie

I think we've done the unthinkable

We've heard this before. Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence, yet the evidence is mysteriously in short supply. Wonder why?
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Wow, and in Italy of all places. I wonder how the vastly Catholic populace feels about that?

Myself, I am completely against this.>:(

Cloning a kidney or a heart for a transplant, great. Anything beyond that, not great.

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

The doctor who did this is into pushing the envelope. The technology will allow him to do that, but there hasn't been a storm of people following him (e.g. women in their 60's having babies).

Hopefully he'll continue to be on the fringe, and we'll find out that it's not as easy as it seems. There seem to be more long-term problems with complex organisms that have been cloned than ones that are naturally-generated, and that might come back to bite him.

Unfortunately, that would bite children who are born this way a whole lot harder :(

Wendy W.

Personally, I think that we dehumanize people if we treat them too much as tools. And I think if the means to create something like in Brave New World existed, people would exploit it, and it would become part of the landscape.

I hope we don't go there. People treat each other and animals and the earth badly and selfishly enough as it is, without having yet another flavor of exploitation added.

Plus, again personally, I'd like to make sure that we're not going to be creating problems; sometimes, by diddling one thing (or gene, or whatever), we find out there are other, unanticipated consequences.

I'd really like to think that those consequences are important enough to figure out before we go forward too far. Maybe I'm getting cautious in my old age, but there are times when it's better to look several moves down the path, rather than just making sure that the next stone exists.

Wendy W.

I hear ya. I'd feel wierd being a genetic clone. Imagine being mass produced. I'd have "Made in Taiwan ROC" stamped on my ass, and probably traded over eBay over next year's model sporting some new feature.:S

Never seen Brave new world, but Gattaca (spell check), Matrix. Scary stuff.

My other ride is the relative wind.

It's going to be explored. It's there, kind of like the tree. Human nature dictates that someone will explore it. We just gotta think real hard about the consequences, and not go too deep until then. Because the consequences won't happen to the person doing the cloning.

After all, someone had to do the first hook turn, too, right? ;)

Wendy W.

Exactly! I think it would be unfair to all of us that where made the old fashioned way. People fucking! I mean like would you be cool hanging with people that where sprouted in tubes that are geneticaly superior to you? Naw let's stick to the old fashioned way of making babies and use the genetic stuff for making appendages, organs, etc... I think it would be unfair to those born from tubes too! They'd be so f'd in the head from all the razzing they'd get. Though I also have a sneaking suspicion this has already been done. Just undocumented...:|

Well, all you computer geeks got rich during the '90's...Now its our turn!! ("our" meaning, mad molecular biologists) I'm going to get rich cloning up hot female celebrities in my basement & selling them all wrapped up in cellophane!!B|Any requests?? The line forms to the right.:D

Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I hear ya. I'd feel wierd being a genetic clone. Imagine being mass produced. I'd have "Made in Taiwan ROC" stamped on my ass, and probably traded over eBay over next year's model sporting some new feature.:S

Never seen Brave new world, but Gattaca (spell check), Matrix. Scary stuff.

Ebay has been done. Last year there was some supermodel selling her eggs over the internet.

Is the evolution of man predestined? Are we as a species limited to what we can change?

IMHO I think not.
Yes it may be messy at first but will the benefits overshadow this?

I think it goes back to the old saying “You gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet”. As we the human race press forward toward mastering our own genetics I think we need to look at the good of man before we apply our moral and religious believes to halting the progress.

Welcome to the New World Order. Expect no Mercy.

I wonder how the vastly Catholic populace feels about that?

The Italian Catholic populace? They have a saying there that they love their priests, but hate their Church. Divorce and abortion are both legal in Italy, as, apparently is cloning. They have a democracy, sort of, so they must approve of such things.

For me, the scary thing about selling one's eggs or sperm is that you never know if you or your offspring will ever meet your "sale".

It'd be a case of "unintentional inbred".:o

I don't have a problem with manifesting yeast in your closet for the purpose of brewing beer. Plants... getting warm. Animals... getting hot. Humans... Now you're pushing it buddy.>:(

My other ride is the relative wind.