skydiverchick

really bad day

i just got a lawyer for somthing else, you can find one that'll do the payment plan, mine did and he's cool, but a buddy of mine got a lawyer for a dui, signed his rights over to his lawyer, so in theory he dosnt have to show up in court to plead guilty, but guess what, his lawyer did'nt show up either. so he got slammed

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

its not a matter of paying them off. The lawyers that I talked to said that this judge that I am seeing puts people in jail for this...I thought it was a scare tatic too but I have to go to court, I can't just pay the fine. And everyone that I have talked to has said I have to get a lawyer or it is Jail time.

As for my tickets to florida they are non refundable non exchangable.

Mother Hen

Thomas,

Where will we draw the line if we start giving away money for stuff like this? I'm a broke ass college student who busts his ass packing just to make enough extra money to jump with. I don't have the money to pay some sort of huge fine, so if I had gotten one speeding ticket this year, I'm sure I wouldn't have spent the rest of the year speeding.

I just had to drop nearly $600 on my truck to get it towed back to town and fixed, should I ask for money or expect someone to give me money? Hell no! I'll continue to work and pay it off.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I haven't hurt anyone.

I think you should probably add "yet" to the end of that sentence.

Sorry Thomas, we're not going to set up a fund over the forums. We did that once, and it came back to bite us in the ass when we found out the whole story. If you or anyone else wants to send money to her that's fine, but do it through the pm's.

I will not be sending money. I believe that everyone has to live with the consequences of their actions. I speed also, but it's also been about 5 years since I've had a ticket. I am also prepared to live with whatever consequences I may have to face, even if I would have to sell off some of my skydiving gear to pay for it. Yes, you're in college and don't have much money. The thought "I don't have any money to pay for a ticket" should be in the back of your head when you get on the road.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

but rules are rules, and laws are laws...

I agree with you as it pertains to most criminal codes. Traffic laws however are a complete framework for added taxation without representation. Speed limits are bogus. Red-light cameras are bullsh*t. And highway patrols visibly displaying their lights, parked on the side of the highway are a huge safety hazzard.

I am not talking about local thoroughfares (like mainstreet in bumville, USA), I am talking specifically about the limited access freeways, state highways, and toll roads.

First case and point: The traffic death statistics have dropped (deaths per million miles driven) in the US since we abandoned the 55 MPH national speed limit.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I know I brought this upon myself but at the same time JAIL...I haven't hurt anyone

They're not going to put you in jail, they just want some money from you. Don't worry too much about it. Just pay the fines, and slow down :)

wildblue call me when you get a chance or after work.

No. I don't even like you. I can't be associated with a criminal such as yourself.

Dang no smiley or anything at the end? you sound serious!

We did that once, and it came back to bite us in the ass when we found out the whole story.

I remember that, I still get pissed off at that person every time I think about it and I didn't even contribute because something about that situation smelled funny to me (well that and I don't have the extra $$). Damnit, now I'm getting all worked up (pissed off) thinking about it...

Like Muenkel said earlier, the chances of you going to jail are nill. You don't have a criminal record so they'll probably fine you, they may suspend your license, give you suspended jail sentence, and may give you community service. Hang in there, this isn't the end of the world. Simply learn your lesson pay your dues and move on.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

...I feel your pain....

..though I have never had that many tix in a year I do understand not paying them when it is the choice between eating and paying a ticket. I have had one from a few months back that I tried to get out of and failed and I still have't paid as I don't have the extra money to pay it.

The others have made valid points as well so I won't repeat them and I don't believe that you posted here to have us send you money but to vent to your friends.

Go forward with courage my friend. This looks shitty now but you will overcome.

P.S. Even though I know it is hard sometimes and the speed limits in certain places are too low. Do try not to speed, at least for a while;)

S.E.X. party #2

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

There is also a case in New Jersey (I think) where the "LIDAR" equipment was found to be utterly unreliable (measuring a wall in the courtroom going 2MPH).
Make light!

You're not a Libertarian are you? A *LOT* of the ones I know have the same beliefs about traffic laws, although I don't totally agree with you. (I don't like the idea of red-light cameras, but speed limits, etc are needed to help keep everything organized and safe. Oh, and the only reason why highway patrols with their lights on are a safety hazard are because people are too damned stupid to just keep driving, instead of trying to slow down and look at what ever is going on.)

Yea, I HATE that shit. Had to run to the office today to pick up some time sheets. Traffic was backed up for miles because a cop was writing some one a ticket! I took forever just to go a few miles and there was nothing blocking the road at all, just a stupid traffic stop>:(

You're not a Libertarian are you?

No, but politically, I dance along the same edge.

I don't like the idea of red-light cameras, but speed limits, etc are needed to help keep everything organized and safe.

I can't talk to driving habits in Texas too well, I've only had extended stays in the DFW area. However, California is a different story. The main job of CHP is to ensure flow of traffic. That's why the highways exist in the first place. What is more dangerous, the person doing 65 in the center lane, when the rest of the traffic wants to flow 75-80? Or, having a rolling block from a patrol forcing traffic to stack up at 65, trimming following distances to <1 second?

Oh, and the only reason why highway patrols with their lights on are a safety hazard are because people are too damned stupid to just keep driving, instead of trying to slow down and look at what ever is going on.

I agree with you. That, and if it's late at night, it's documented that drivers under the influence will focus on such lights and end up crashing into the parked vehicles. Again, 90% of the time in California, when a CHP has someone pulled over, you rarely see anything more than hazzard lights. The traffic is mindful, but doesn't panic and slam on the brakes. Often you'll see the orange/yellow light bar signalling, but I've yet to see a full blown light show for a routine traffic stop.

Red light cameras are only any good if the communities that use them do not shorten the yellow light cycle. Too often they do, and you get more red light violations, and more accidents at the intersection because the light changes too quickly for motorists to stop or continue safely.
Make light!

having a rolling block from a patrol forcing traffic to stack up at 65, trimming following distances to <1 second?

Ok, who's fault is that really? In places like California, the speed limit is inforced to help control emissions too. Also, the speed limits are in place to keep the flow of traffic going relatively the same speed to help reduce fatalities during collisions between automobiles. Once again, who's fault is that?

it's documented that drivers under the influence will focus on such lights and end up crashing into the parked vehicles.

The documentation you're talking about refers to flashing blue/red lights, that's why the majority of new light bars in use across the country have the yellow blinkers that blinke towards the lane. Since the human eye will instinctively look to where it is blinking to, it will look back into the driving lane. This is also documented (it'd take me a little bit to look up the article, though).

The traffic is mindful, but doesn't panic and slam on the brakes.[

Once again, I've seen exactly the opposite, and who's fault is that? Sure as hell isn't the cop's fault.

I think this thread will still be going on when Skydiverchick gets out of jail

hehehe, but by then we'll have broken out the baseball bats and gone into agressive negotiations...:P

OMG I am hating life right now. I just got pulled over for speeding and because I have so many tickets in a year I could and prolly will end up in jail for 30 days.

<<< I really hope that you do not end up having to spend some time in a county jail, that would not be a pleasant experience. Perhaps you should have thought about this after you received your first ticket and continued to accept the risk and speed when driving?>>>

My court date is on the 11th. I have tickets to florida on the dec 13 through Jan 9th. I called a lawyer and he said he could help except I don't have the $750 to pay him.

I am a college student living on my own with absolutley no family to speak of. No one of my frerinds has money that they could loan me. I am all alone in this world and I am scared.

<<< Dang thats a real "between a rock and hard place", perhaps you should try to see if that lawyer or another will work with you on payment?>>>

How is this fare I was speeding 12mph over? People do awfull things all the time and get off and I'm going to jail and will have no way to pay my bills, I'll loose my house my car...this will mess up my school. I'm screwed.

<<< "How is this fair, I was speeding 12mph over?"... "Life aint fair" in case you don't already know that. Yes, you "MIGHT" go to jail but you might "NOT" if you or a lawyer pleads your case. Mortgage your house, sell your car or get a title loan on it to pay lawyer fees.
Quit your sniveling, you got yourself into a mess and now its time to pay the piper, do what you have to to get some money scraped together for a lawyer, fines, court fees and ect...>>>

I really do hope that you don't go to jail and that you manage to work through this with the best results. (keep house and car/stay in school.)
Maybe you should get rid of the car before you really screw yourself or somebody else?
I hope you learn your lesson and get rid of the leadfoot.

If I seem like a hardnosed unsympathetic a--hole its cause I am.
Its time to take responsibility for your actions.

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

>Speed limits are bogus.

As I've seen a dozen or so accidents caused purely by speeding I have to disagree there.

>First case and point: The traffic death statistics have dropped
> (deaths per million miles driven) in the US since we abandoned the
> 55 MPH national speed limit.

And no-pull deaths have dropped since we started jumping elliptical canopies. Do elliptical canopies prevent no-pulls, or did the widespread use of cypreses reduce no-pull deaths?

Air bags, widespread use of seat belts and design-for-crash cars have increased survivability in crashes over the past 20 years, regardless of any speed limit changes.

And no-pull deaths have dropped since we started jumping elliptical canopies. Do elliptical canopies prevent no-pulls, or did the widespread use of cypreses reduce no-pull deaths?

I like that analogy. Cars and canopies might have improved, doesn't mean the skills of the people in control have too.

Should the highway patrol tagged you with a laser one tactic I might suggest is to subpeona his last marksmanship scores. I've used this once and got off.:)

Um I worked for a police department which used laser and we didn't have "marksmanship scores" you had to qualify with the device to use it, but it wasn't like shooting a firearm.