AggieDave

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts free for life!

I can't even make this stuff up, apparently a KK "blimp" was stolen and who ever returns it gets free dohnuts for life...

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/021203/30456_1.html

Doughnut Alert -- Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Puts Out A.P.B. on Blimp
Tuesday December 3, 2:58 pm ET

BURLINGTON, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 3. 2002--The Krispy Kreme Doughnuts blimp mysteriously disappeared over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.
The 20-by 10-foot blimp resembles Krispy Kreme's signature packaging -- white, sprinkled with green dots and bow tie logo -- and has four red fins. The blimp was filled with 200 cubic feet of helium and was tethered to the ground 100 yards from the store. It had been a "beacon in the night" to inform customers that the new Burlington store, located at the corner of Burlington Boulevard and Haggen Drive, was open for business.

Krispy Kreme Burlington is owned by Seattle based KremeWorks, LLC. Northwest native Gerard Centioli is president and CEO of the Northwest Krispy Kreme Doughnut franchise. "On this Thanksgiving, I would be thankful for the safe return of our blimp," stated Centioli. "We will express our thanks to whomever safely returns the blimp by giving them one dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts a month for life from our Burlington store."

Founded in 1937 in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, Krispy Kreme is a leading branded specialty retailer of premium quality doughnuts, including the Company's signature Hot Original Glazed. Krispy Kreme currently operates over 255 stores in 37 states and Canada. An estimated 5.5 million Krispy Kreme doughnuts are made every day and more than 2.7 billion are produced each year. Krispy Kreme can be found on the World Wide Web at www.krispykreme.com.

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

or will they question the shit out of you , arrest you and jail ya for stealin it

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

maybe a bunch of drunk skydivers

I wonder how high one of those things could take you...high enough to deploy? Anyone have the figures for how much a cubic foot of helium can lift under normal conditions MSL?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Heck no! What a bad deal! I don't like Krispy Kreme doughnuts, so I'd keep the blimp and give it to my parents as a Christmas gift.

And notice...they didn't mention anywhere that it was a breakfast food...
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

A true Crazy Thomas idea brewing. When I went to school at UW-Madison, I was asking my materials science teacher the same thing, only about helium balloons from a party store.
The answer. Simply determine the amount of force that one balloon lifts with, and then factor it to be greater than your weight, and that theoretically would give a person lift.
Simple physics calculations will yield a number of how many cubic meters of helium one would need to accomplish this. Cubic meters into cubic feet? Simple dimensional analysis.
Then, buying the party balloons? Not so simple. Ever imagine going into a party store and asking for an order of 20,000 balloons?
I actually heard a rumor (maybe our research type can help substantiate) that some guy already did this. He bought some weather balloons, tied them to his lawn chair, and off he went. He carried a six pack with him also. He was brought done after he floated away, and floated around several hours. (None skydiver type I think)
One word of caution: As you rise up under these balloons, the pressure of the air around you drops. We should mostly all know this from high altitude skydives. Well, a party balloon isn't very strong, and could explode before reaching a sufficient altitude. Weather balloons are stronger, but more expensive. Bringing the question, what is safety worth?
Peace,
Thomas

I actually heard a rumor (maybe our research type can help substantiate) that some guy already did this. He bought some weather balloons, tied them to his lawn chair, and off he went. He carried a six pack with him also. He was brought done after he floated away, and floated around several hours. (None skydiver type I think)

This is true. Photos here.

It seems that the process has been refined into "cluster ballooning."

I go to school about 20 miles from there and I can take a guess at who it was and probably have a 1 in 12000 chance of getting it right. couldn't have been a skydiver no dropzone in 100 miles but a drunk college student...there's a good possibility.

B.L. (the brain)

"Anyone have the figures for how much a cubic foot of helium can lift under normal conditions MSL?"
Umm dunno 'bout these coobic feet things, being a child of the metric system, I and the rest of the world, work in metres, kg etc....
helium density is 0.1785 kg/cubic metre
dry air is 1.29 kg/cubic metre.

so......a balloon of 1 cubic metre of helium can lift about 1.1 kg at sea level, assuming temps/press etc are equal.
So what you really need to know is how many cubic metres will it take to get an Aggs airborne, without the expense of jump tix......
lets say an Agg weighs about 110 kgs, with rig of course....
A bare minimum would be 100 cubic metres of helium, plus a little more to account for the weight of the balloon itself....about 3530 cubic feet.

Of course to actually fly (control ascent / descent) the thing, you will need counter weights, and a means of releasing helium as described earlier in the thread.....and more balloons to account for the weight of water etc

And yes it is possible to get airborne and drop from one of these clusters.....

Snaps attached from Simon Ward, at the Bristol Ballon fest.

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

sward3.jpg

sward1.jpg

sward2.jpg

or will they question the shit out of you , arrest you and jail ya for stealin it

I would go to prison if it meant I could eat Krispy Kremes for life. I have all the time in the world to work them off, too.

Sounds like a fair deal.

"a dozen a week still wouldn't hurt them one bit."

It wouldn't hurt them much, but I'd probably have to retire my weight vest, and order a new jump suit;);)

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

You know they're opening KK's in England now?

Pffft England, I don't go there, its the crime capital of the world don't you know;), but if they started off a franchise in Scotland...hmmm......

--------------------

nonononononono, you misunderstand the Scottish culture.
They would have to sell donuts with the beer, there is a huge difference!;)

--------------------

Krispy Kreme is really getting a lot of attention in the past couple of years. I lived in Winston-Salem, NCfor 20 years and drove by the headquarters of Krispy Kreme everyday as I drove to work at (this is where KK donuts hail from, as they say in the south). When people wanted to be liked by the fellow co-workers, they really splurged and bought Dunkin' Donuts to work. But then again, KK donuts, warm, just off the fryer with that glaze, hmmm, good for hangovers ;)