Jessica

Lasik

The way I see it, it is cosmetic surgury. If you were to go pay 3K to get a boobjob and the doc said that there was a 5-10% chance they wouldn't get any bigger, 1-2% chance I would have to cut your tits off; would you do it?

Just get the facts, and way out the pros and cons. Noone's experience can prepare you for how yours will be.

Chris

Well let's set two facts straight.

1) LASIK cannot repair or prevent the effect of aging on the eye. Therefore, many patients will need reading glasses or some assistance as they age. They are very explicit about this in the consultation. They also do not guarantee that you will not need glasses or contacts after the surgery. This is in a rare percentage of patients, and normally has to due with their vision beforehand. A good OPTHAMOLOGIST (not Optometrist) who performs LASIK will tell you this. ALso, you may need enhancements to make it perfect, as I will because of double astigmatism. This was included in the price for up to one year. Anyway, the aging thing is a possible explanation for cgross's associates who had to wear glasses or whatever a few years later. There is an ideal age range for LASIK...that is what free consultations are for. Doctors do not want malpractice suits, and they are very careful not to "Overtreat" or "Overdiagnose" these days. Yeah, trust me. I have a LOT of background there. Anyway, the place I went is the most reputable in Dallas. The Dr. himself does the procedure on everyone, and he has done Dallas Stars' players, Cowboys' players, country and rock bands, etc. He's damn good. If you find one like him you are all good to go.

I don't remember point #2 now because I am upset with my roommate and it is distracting me. OH well. I am SURE I will post it when I remember.

Your grounded Sis,
The Freak

Yes, that may be true, like i said, i spoke with my doctor, and maybe she was speaking of people with my type of eye problems. I do not believe she was refering to aging when talking about needing glasses in the future. Her remarks implied the "near" future (1-5 yrs). Again, this is the opinion of one person. However, I trust her judgement, more than that of someone who has gone through the operation. Why? well because if i speak to someone in the majority of people who turn out fine from the proceedure, they may be lead to believe that, Well if I am fine, then you'll be fine too. Where as a doctor has seen all the good and the bad.

A point that I should make: Fact - Lasik has become very safe over the last 5 to 10 yrs compared to when the proceedure was in its' early stages. (American Journal of Medicine)

With that being said, no I do not think the risks are high, however, there are risks that you need to assess, like with all surgury.

I am in no way telling you not to do this, but I am trying to make you think a bit more before you do. I think there are many people out there that tend to jump into things without doing their homework, and that is bad :(. I am not try to imply that you are one of those people, but I don't know you and am just giving my advise. So, where I stand, I would not do it. I just wouldn't risk loosing my site, it is something that is too important to me. If you really think this is something for you, study up, and go to at least 2 different doctors for a consultation, they are usually not expensive, and it is well worth the extra opinion.

Good Luck!
Chris

I told my friends I was thinking about lasik, and they said:

"Noooooo! You look so cute in glasses!"

I guess I do have a bit of a Lisa Loeb-esque effect when I wear them. Sometimes gay men randomly compliment me on them. I have to consider this aspect of things.
Skydiving is for cool people only

Jess, you can wear glasses without needing them. Occasionally, I pop a pair on my face, especially when trying to look credible...but it usually doesn't garner me any compliments, either from straight men, or any other kind of man. And it doesn't help my credibility level in the least.

Besides, isn't it better to wear them and not need them, then not wear them and need them?;)

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I just had it done last wednesday, still can't quite believe it. Cost me (or rather, my insurance company) EUR 5000, which is about USD 5000. I should be back in the sky just after Christmas.

Got scared a couple of months back when my fullface blew open and I had to squint to keep my soft lenses in. They stuck to my eyes so I didn't loose them but they stayed stuck so landing was interesting (I have astigmatism in both eyes). That and the fact I knew my insurance wouldn't cover the whole amount anymore next year made me decide.

I'm very very happy with it.

I too keep thinking to remove my contacts, force of habit....

I did manage to faint when they cut the flap on my first eye tho, which is quite a feat if you're already laying down..... I'm a wimp. I really really didn't like the fact that you can mostly see what they're doing to your eye.....

But still, very happy with it so far, very glad I did it. Just all the eyedrops are kind of a bother right now. They cause a little bit of blurring/halos, but I had way worse halos before so there's really an improvement.
But, all in all, I still am very pleased with it. Woke up the morning after with a big smile :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

(kate taunts jessicas squeamish nature...)

I have the video of when my mother had her eyes done...she also had the beginnings of a cataract sucked out of her eye...it's pretty cool watching the tiny little precision tools they use, and in her case, they cut the flap, inserted this needle, (but it took a couple of tries to actually pierce the eye, kinda like poking a grape with a dull needle) and the needle became this vacuum and sucked out the cataract..it was so cool to watch. She actually had permanent lenses put in her eye, not lasik, but it was cool nonetheless...

I take it you aren't a fan of the discovery health channel? I used to love to stay up late and watch Operation...:)

Someone I worked with had a "simple" procedure done. They didn't set the depth AT ALL on the laser and it cut straight through his eyes.

It wasn't suppose to hurt the Dr's said. They even had 5 people pin him down as he was saying it hurt and continued to cut through his eyes completely.

He has been on numerous pain meds for over 6 months, has constant migranes, They are having to fly him to Germany to TRY an experimental, mechanical cornea on him..

Now I know that the chances of that are maybe one in ten thousand but damn.. I knew this guy so it hits closer to home..

Risk/reward thing.. I'd rather wear glasses than chance what he is going through..

Rhino

My doctor cleared me to jump after 2 weeks. But strict orders to wear harder goggles (instead of say, Flexvision) or a full-face for the first 3 months. I still have a full face Factory Diver (even though I haven't worn it in ages) but I can't jump anyway because of an injury I received in that car wreck a couple of months ago. Remember that? Yep - still getting treatment and grounded. :(

I think you should at least get a free consultation. I feel sorry for the person who posted they paid about 5K in USD for it though. It is cheaper here, I know that! Still I paid over 3K but only 'cause my vision was so bad, like I said.

You're a smart cookie, Jess...I know this personally! I have no doubt you will make the right decision for you. :) good luck, fellow Freaksis.

Loving my eyes,
Freaksister

Jessica,

I'm not in the "Lasik is great" or "Nobody cuts my eyeballs" camps. I wear glasses or contacts, and have since I flunked my driver's license eye exam in high school. No wonder I hadn't been able to read the blackboards in school.

I asked my eye doctor about corrective surgery about 16 years ago. The answer? "Hell no. Don't do it." I ask again about 5 years later, then another 5 years later. The answers got progressively better, from something like "I wouldn't recommend it" to "If you really want to". The last time I went into his office, he was affilliated with a Lasik center, and referred some people to them.

The bottom line is that the entire science of surgical vision correction is relatively new. The rate of problems with early surgeries was huge. It has gotten better, but the procedures haven't been around long enough for a good body of knowledge about the long-term effects. Does the surgery lead to a much higher incidence of blindness in late adulthood? Does it accelerate the natural vision detioration many people experience? In both cases, it is simply too soon to tell.

Whether or not to get the surgery depends on your level of frustration/discomfort with glasses/contacts. The worse your current situation is, the less you have to lose. For me personally, the inconvenience of glasses/contacts isn't bad enough to get my eyes lasered. I'm not comfortable with the current chances of surgical failure and possibility of blindness. No major surgery is "foolproof". Don't let anyone tell you that it isn't major. When a slip, goof, or misalignment can leave you blind, that is major. Like a double-mal, sometimes shit just happens.

Despite the barrage of TV and radio ads for Lasik, it is still a science in its infancy. While I don't wish them any ill repercussions, everyone getting it done today is essentially a guinea pig for the next generation of procedures. I'm choosing to wait awhile. If the science gets better, I get comfortable with the odds and the stability of vision afterwards improves, I may get Lasik (or its successor). But if you aren't comfortable doing the research about the procedure, including what can go wrong, I'd have to say you can't really make an informed decision. And it is your eyesight at risk.

Just my $.02. And I wish you well, no matter what choice you make.

I personally can't sympathize...I can see alright without contacts...I mean, who really needs to read street signs at night anyways? Constant U-turns is an acceptable way of driving!

My dad, on the other hand, is seriously considering it. He's probably nearing legally blind. He has to wear both contacts and glasses! Lasik isn't a cure all (I know people have had problems with seeing at night after having it done, and for some, it didn't work and they had to do it again. Plus, it doesn't stop your eyes from getting worse with aging as they normally do.) But, if my eyes were like my father's, I would've had it done by now.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

He he he....BZ gets upset w/ me...I can hardly see at night w/ all the lights blurring together.

During the day, I can't read shit if it's far away. I think I see OK, but I've tested it by saying to BZ, "OK, I'll tell you when I can read that sign up ahead." He can usually read it when I say that in the first place.

I know I probably need contacts or whatever, but I figure I'll just go straight to the surgery in a few years.

But both my parents have had it done and it worked out wonderfully for them.

:P

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

GO FOR IT!!! I hate even thinking about the procedure but I had it done over a year ago and my eyes gradually got better each month after the surgery. I was total coke bottle girl (although I ALWAYS wore my contacts) and had 20/400 vision in both eyes. I am now 20/15 and 20/20. I had a slight infection so they re-opened my flaps 3 days after my surgery but then everything was fine! They have been doing this procedure as well as PRK here at Ft. Bragg and I have not heard of one case that turned out bad. I know 7 people in my office alone that have had it.

I would just recommend seeing more than one doctor about it.

Good luck!

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

Well, I went for my lasik consultation today.

The doctor seemed surprised at my prescription -- one eye has normal vision, and the other is 20/30, which is the goal of some lasik patients.

I told her that I loathed wearing glasses with every fiber of my being, though, and then she understood.

Anyway, she said that my vision could almost certainly be corrected to where I wouldn't need glasses, but of course she couldn't guarantee it. Cost would be $1,000 plus a $65 pre-op consultation.

In my 16 years of wearing glasses, my parents and I have probably spent $2,000 on corrective lenses for me...that I never wear.

Despite that, though, my inclination right now is not to get it, simply because of the cost...$1,000 is a lot of jumps. Plus there are other things I'd rather go into debt for right now.

I'm glad I went, though...it's good to know one's options.
Skydiving is for cool people only

Hey Jessica thats not a bad price at all. I went to one of the local Lasik surgeons here in Georgia and they kinda looked at me like I was crazy...they said Im damn near leagally blind and even I didnt know this but they said mine would be correctable but itd be 2300 for my left eye which is 20/150 and my right eye would run me about 3-4,000 due to a stigmatism and my 20/300 vision. So consider yourself lucky... I dont think my vision is getting any better
- GQ

... it was the love of the air and sky and flying, the lure of adventure, the appreciation of beauty ...
-Charles Lindberg