SpeedRacer

American English vs. British English

I feel like starting some shit here so this thread is for Brits & Americans to make fun of each other for the way they talk.;)

i.e., Some brits don't understand the reaction they get from Americans when they say things like "I'm going to step outside & blow a fag!"
:o:D

Hey, and what's up with the alternative profanities you hear from the Irish, i.e., "feck" and "shite" and "arse"??

Is it similar to the American "friggin'" or "frickken"
as in "Why must I be surrounded by frikken idiots?"
:D
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Some brits don't understand the reaction they get from Americans when they say things like "I'm going to step outside & blow a fag!"

haha some americans will be offended by that!

what about rubbers , knock me up , sex/six:o

My photos

My Videos

I think it would be a good time to also discuss how we spell words differently...certainly such behaviour/behavior is not limited to color without the "U"....

Nevermind the realization....oh excuse me, realisation that the poor blokes across the way put "S" where "Zs" rightfully belong. What other words are there?

And if it really is the Queen's English, why doesn't Sangiro's spell check agree? :P

Is Arse, really a polite Ass?

Bloke isn't derogatory is it?

Is "Blagg" real slang over there? ;)B|

Personally, I've heard only good things about our friends in the UK and Australia...though I've never been there. It is interesting talking with some of you fellas and trying to understand everything... *L* :D

edit..corrected some "real" spelling errors...

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

"Hey, and what's up with the alternative profanities you hear from the Irish, i.e., "feck" and "shite" and "arse"?? "

The "feck" and "shite" are considered more acceptable than fuck and shit: just like crap is considered more acceptable than shit practically everywhere.

Blue skies

I feel like starting some shit here so this thread is for Brits & Americans to make fun of each other for the way they talk.;)

i.e., Some brits don't understand the reaction they get from Americans when they say things like "I'm going to step outside & blow a fag!"
:o:D

Hey, and what's up with the alternative profanities you hear from the Irish, i.e., "feck" and "shite" and "arse"??

Is it similar to the American "friggin'" or "frickken"
as in "Why must I be surrounded by frikken idiots?"
:D

Check out the gesture that Yank actor James Marsters (playing a British vampire) makes in an Emmy-nominated episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer called "Hush"). My wife and I about fell out of our chairs when we saw how cleverly producer Joss Whedon had put one over on the network censors.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

"Fanny" has a subtly different meaning in US vs UK English

Umm there is nothing subtle about it. You slap someone on the Fanny here in Oz and find out how subtle it is.B|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Check out the gesture that Yank actor James Marsters (playing a British vampire) makes in an Emmy-nominated episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer called "Hush"). My wife and I about fell out of our chairs when we saw how cleverly producer Joss Whedon had put one over on the network censors.

OK, so what's up with the TWO finger gesture? Does it mean "fuck you two times"?
Or is it like the thing we did as kids, where you gesture with the first three fingers held together & tell someone to "read between the lines."
Speed Racer

OK, so what's up with the TWO finger gesture? Does it mean "fuck you two times"?
Or is it like the thing we did as kids, where you gesture with the first three fingers held together & tell someone to "read between the lines."

Quote from an urban legend page about the origins of the giving the finger:

This story has been circulating on the internet for a few years now but, despite its elaborate detail and use of impressive phrases like "labiodental fricative", it is absolutely false. There are several reasons why this "etymology" is spurious but the most glaring error is that the raised-middle-finger gesture is essentially American. This gesture was largely unknown in Britain until it began appearing in Hollywood movies in the 1960s and 1970s. (I believe its first screen appearance was in "Easy Rider".) The British equivalent of this gesture uses the middle and index fingers held in a V - similar to the "Victory V" sign of World War II (later revived as the "peace sign" of the Vietnam era) but with the palm toward the gesturer. This "etymology" actually works much better for the British gesture than the American one as you need two fingers to draw a bow. It is still wrong, though.

"Fanny" has a subtly different meaning in US vs UK English

Umm there is nothing subtle about it. You slap someone on the Fanny here in Oz and find out how subtle it is.B|

I think the difference escaped you too.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Some brits don't understand the reaction they get from Americans when they say things like "I'm going to step outside & blow a fag!"

I've lived in the UK for 6 years now and I've never heard that. Sure, they call cigarettes fags, but 'blow' a fag??? I think someone was 'blowing' smoke up your arse/ass... ;)

One thing I couldn't understand in California was how much the sentence "You know what?" gets used. Because as soon as they've said "You know what?" they promptly tell you whatever they were going to say anyway.

Weird man...

.understand in California....

Understand this too: "Right On!" Took me a while to get used to that one...
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

How do you figure that Kal,
US version of fanny is gluteous muscles, Oz and UK is Vagina. Slap someone on the fanny here in Oz and your your likely to get knocked out
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Actually the British "V" for victory sign pre-dates the Second World War by a few centuries.
Churchill's "V" for victory sign dates back to the Battle of Crecy or Agincourt. After the British archers thoroughly trounced the French, they cut off the first two fingers on every French archer's right hand, thereby rendering them useless in battle.
Back in those days a popular insult was for a British archer to hold up his right hand and proudly display his two most important fingers.

"I'm going to step outside & blow a fag!"

never in my life have i heard this! except in some of the seedy soho joints of London by rent boys popping out to make some quick fast cash!

Nevermind the realization....oh excuse me, realisation that the poor blokes across the way put "S" where "Zs" rightfully belong. What other words are there?

never understood this! we gave you a good solid language and you choose to personalise / personalize it!!!

Another difference...where an American might say "fucking around" or "farting around" Brits will say "arsing around" or even "arse-holing around"

arse holing around??? again i think a way for rent boys to earn money!!!

"Fanny" has a subtly different meaning in US vs UK English.

yep and i would rather phuq our fanny than yours!!
;)

ausie's will say...
didja Giv'er the root, mate?!

and here we would say "so didcha root the bitch"
remember you are also from the UK but are more dishonest!! ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the British archers thoroughly trounced the French, they cut off the first two fingers on every French archer's right hand

http://www.snopes.com/language/apocryph/pluckyew.htm

well phuq me its on the internet so i suppose it must be true!!! ;)

Gawdon Bennet! I really thought dis fread abaaaht americans an' english could 'ave 'ad da potential ter be a Chicken an' Rice friendly flamin' war. Suckh is life i suppose!!! 'ow very reserved everyone is!! Pull 'igh live longer ....... Pull low live life 'arder! OK?
bloody hell fire - fuck me - I fought this fread could 'ave 'ad some spice ter it wiv the old a septic tanks and english givin' it some in a freindly flamin' war about 'ow we gave them a 'am sandwich and they decide ter personalise it as wiv evryfink else ! Oi! - remember this is a country wiv the world series where only they compete in it! Oi!! Struth! - fuck this im off ter the rub-a-dub wiv some real english blokes where yer can understand wot they rabbit and pork about! Blimey!! Struth!! Be safe........ be takin' the piss out of the a septic tanks! Struth!! Right!

(althought that sounds like and UK aussie mix!! - any ladies wanna replicate??)

or for those of you living in the "good ol US of A"

bloody hell - fuck me - ah thunk this hyar thread c'd haf had some spice t'it wif th' old South Car'linans an' inglish givin' it some in a freindly flamin' war about how we gave them a language an' they decide t'varmintalise it as wif ev'rythin' else ! Fry mah hide! - remember this hyar is a country wif th' wo'ld series whar only they compete in it! Fry mah hide!! Fry mah hide! - fuck this hyar im off t'th' pub wif some real inglish varmints whar yo' kin unnerstan' whut they talk about! Fry mah hide!! Fry mah hide!! Fry mah hide! Be safe........ be takin' th' piss outta th' South Car'linans!! Fry mah hide!

Be Safe..............

bloody hell - fuck me - ah thunk this hyar thread c'd haf had some spice t'it wif th' old South Car'linans an' inglish givin' it some in a freindly flamin' war about how we gave them a language an' they decide t'varmintalise it as wif ev'rythin' else ! Fry mah hide! - remember this hyar is a country wif th' wo'ld series whar only they compete in it! Fry mah hide!! Fry mah hide! - fuck this hyar im off t'th' pub wif some real inglish varmints whar yo' kin unnerstan' whut they talk about! Fry mah hide!! Fry mah hide!! Fry mah hide! Be safe........ be takin' th' piss outta th' South Car'linans!! Fry mah hide!

Damn! First post a bin able ta undastand in awaal. Damned brits are finely learnin to talk right!:D

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

"Fry mah hide"??!! :P Where the f&*k does this come from??!! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!:D

Anyone ever see A Fish Called Wanda?? I'm reminded of when John Cleese is trying to distract the ("don't call me stupid!") American "ex-CIA" guy, & talking about North Vietnam in an American Western accent..."THEY WHIPPED YER HIDES REEEEEEL GOOOOD!!":D

Speed Racer