Jessica

Would you do a temporary cutaway?

Spendin' a day a week at the DZ is my dream come true. I'm 43, have 3 kids in college, another 4 years away, and a wife that totally supports the second childhood I'm hooked on (most friends say it's my version of a mid-life crisis). I think my wife is happy I'm jumpin' through my crisis rather than chasing babes or buying an expensive red sports car (Jumpin' cant be too much cheaper than Vette payments. Right??) If I could go back to ninteen, knowing what I know now, I wouldn't do it different. Makes me really appreciate that one day a week thats mine. That's my temporary cutaway. Only problem now, is that weekends have sucked since early November and we're under a foot of snow now. What will I do to fulfill my urges 'till spring????

People take longer amounts of time off to go hike the application trail... I'd rather take a summer jumping... go for it.

You mean the Appalachian Trail, right? Funny... I'm hoping to take a few months off work in 2005 so I can through hike the Pacific Crest Trail.

But, I've already got the "I cutaway for skydiving" t-shirt. ;)

APPLICATION TRAIL is more accurate in today's apply, beg, wait and turned down World.
If I could wish my house and mortgage away for R.V. or Apt near a DZ I would make it so.

This is one of those, "if I knew then, what I know now" type of questions. I settled down way to early in life with the husband, kids, mortgage, etc. and didn't do anything a little risky like what you are contemplating. I do feel like I missed out, and I'm making up for it now by doing different fun and spontaneous things. But, I can only work these things in when I don't have custody of my kids. So, if this is something that you might not have the opportunity to do again, I say "go for it", but still do it wisely. Since you don't know how long you'll be without a job, try to save up as much money as you can for the next 6 months before you take off. Have fun...there will be a lot of people on these forums wishing they were in your shoes. :)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Six months, nothin! Try three or four!

Haha, well that shows you how my brain is wired now. My seasons all revolve around the school schedules. :S
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

You mean the Appalachian Trail, right? Funny... I'm hoping to take a few months off work in 2005 so I can through hike the Pacific Crest Trail.

I'd use the standard I was drunk when I wrote that post excuse but I was at work... and sadly sober...
Must have been the crack....

APPLICATION TRAIL is more accurate in today's apply, beg, wait and turned down World.
If I could wish my house and mortgage away for R.V. or Apt near a DZ I would make it so.

um yeah that's what I meant... skybytch just did not understand the deep phillysoftical meaning behind me word choices.

I would if I could in a heartbeat- If I had discovered skydiving twenty years ago, I'd be regular DZ trash, traveling from DZ to DZ in a van. But since I have so many "responsibilities" now, I'll have to settle for every other Saturday, at least until retirement time.

On the outside chance I can "check up" on my in-laws, whare's a decent DZ near Naples?;)

Think the closest one to Naples is Air Adventures of Clewiston, I'm not sure about the distances of the ones to the north though.

Skydive Naples out of Immokalee, is still listed in the Dropzone directory, but not open anymore.

--
Hook high, flare on time

I did it for a season in 92 in the US, 94 in Oz, 98 in the Carribean... next one is coming up soon.

Why? Because I live for me first, cos without me being happy and fulfilled, I cannot fulfill those around me. I do AFF and Tandem, and fun jump a bunch.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

But, I've already got the "I cutaway for skydiving" t-shirt.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where can I get that shirt??:)

Well it's simple, I just pulled the little RED pad, dropped a bit and pulled the silver D-ring.
My Raven Reserve popped out and I wrote my incident to Precision Aerodynamics. They sent the shirt.;)

Geeh!
That sounds familiar.
Ten years ago I graduated from university with a useless degree.
I figured Oh well! I'll just work as a jumpmaster for the summer until my industry starts hiring again.
Funny, I still work part time as a jumpmaster and full time as a rigger.

I kinda did last year. Still worked some, but stayed at the DZ half the time.

I spent more last year than any one person at Kapowsin. Thus my nick name Cash Money. Yahoo! Not bad for a turbine DZ. Almost 600 skydives last year.

This year I am on to other things, so can't do it. But I will never forget, and glad I had that time. Lots a good memories. Maybe when I retire, (4 years left on a 5 year plan) I will do tandems and hang out. Who knows. For now, I have to stick to the plan. But enjoying that too.

j

----------------------------
bzzzz