skip

Rantoul and experiance level

Hey now that the New Year is here and new vacation time has been handed out I have been thinking about going this year. I currently have 65 and would hope to make at least 60-90 (hopefully more) by august thus bringing me to a total of 120-150ish jumps. Being a fairly conservative skydiver both in what skydives I choose to go on and how I fly my canopy, would this experience level be to low to join the convention and make a bunch of jumps from a bunch of the neat jump ships, choppers, and balloons?

.:skip

I only have 27 jumps, and I'm doing fine here in Eloy... I just land away from all the canopy traffic. 'Course I don't know what Rantoul's like. I bet you'll be fine, though. And if you go, I'm sure you'll have a blast! :)

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

It is more dangerous than a small DZ, but the risk can be managed by choosing who you jump with and where you land carefully. Tent 3 is a good resource; I work there (along with Winsor, Mary, DJan, Amy and a bunch of other people) and we try to put lower time jumpers together on loads, with safety being the #1 priority.

For more hints check this out - it's something I wrote a few years back on surviving the WFFC.

What kind of DZ do you usually jump at? Does it have turbine's with crowded skies? I went to Rantoul with about 130 jumps, but they were all at one of the busiest drop zones in the country, so I was used to the traffic. That's pretty much the only concern. There's plenty of outs, plenty of big spaces to land, plenty of experienced people to jump with, assist you, give you advice, coach you. As long as you're used to keeping your head on a swivel and watching out for other canopies, and making sure to give good exit separation and always barrel roll before dumping, you should be fine. Especially if you decide to do a C130 jump....the big sky theory goes right in the toilet on one of those jump.

Yeah, so? :P There's an internet cafe, and it's really windy. No jumping for me today.

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

Balloon jumps are kind of scary because there's no telling where you'll land. On mine, I ended up smack in the middle of a bean field, and the other jumper on the load in a back yard. Just be sure to spot it carefully.

Otherwise, I think you'll be OK. If you jump at a 182 dz, try to hit a busy turbine dz at least a couple of times between now and then to get used to the traffic.
Skydiving is for cool people only

What kind of DZ do you usually jump at? Does it have turbine's with crowded skies?

I jump at spaceland which stays fairly bussy, we usually only fly one of our otters at a time so I might be up at any time with 20 or so others.

.:skip

Especially if you decide to do a C130 jump....the big sky theory goes right in the toilet on one of those jump.

Especially if your quiet little 8 way turns into an impromptu 60 way. That was fun. :D

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

I think Kevin is right on about the traffic and the type of dz you're used to. I also jump CK which is a very busy skydiving operation as well as a moderatly busy airport. I think that helped a lot. Had I come from a single cessna DZ I think I would have become overwhelmed at the traffic.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Unless I'm mistaken (and this wouldn't be the first time this has happened), you'll need to have a "B" or better license to jump at Rantoul. But with your current jump numbers, you are good to go and you just need to finish whatever "B" license requirements and you'll be ready to jump.

But in terms of actual experience levels (which differ from person to person), you won't know if you're ready for something that big until you've actually experienced it. I just came back from the Eloy Christmas boogie and while I know I still have a long way to go before I can call myself an experienced skydiver, without a doubt I am a much better skydiver today that I was two weeks ago. I gained so much valuable cross-wind landing practice at Eloy's main landing area and not once did I feel that I didn't belong there. I knew better to stay away from the swooping beer line, so as long as I kept my head up and paid attention, I was fine landing there. It was such an awesome experience and I sure hope I can make it to Rantoul this summer. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Wffc is a non GM DZ last year and as such they did'nt require actually USPA licences. If you had a log book with 50 jumps, rig that was in date and cash that was more then enough to get you jumping.

Plently of outs, main landing area got crowded on the C-130 loads. Other then that most Turbine babies should be able to deal with it since the largest plane is the Casa on a regular basis. Only difference is the lowered openings. No canopy showing above 3k, pulling at 2.5k or lower is highly encouraged if you can since loads were droping every 2 minutes last year.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Tent 3 is a good resource; I work there (along with Winsor, Mary, DJan, Amy and a bunch of other people) and we try to put lower time jumpers together on loads, with safety being the #1 priority.

Hey, remember me? I'm not the "feel good organizer ". ;)

As for having a license this is from the WFFC website:

What are the requirements to be a registered skydiver at the convention?
To be registered as a "skydiver" with that wristband you need to have at least 50 freefall skydives. This does not require a "license" but to expect some additional scutiny at registration if you don't. These 50 freefalls must be properly logged!
USPA licenses are encouraged and temporary memberships are available at registration.
This policy was established because of those outside the US not having jump numbers identical to USPA for a particular license. 50 freefalls is about the same experience as a USPA "B" license holder and what we feel is enought experience to be in the air with a number of jumpers.
Those with fewer than 50 freefalls must register as a "student" skydiver and must jump under the supervision of the student training vendor, (Chicagoland Skydiving in this case) and pay whatever they are charging.
We encourage lower experienced jumpers to seek out the Convention Load Organizers for a few jumps to provide an orientation.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Especially if you decide to do a C130 jump....the big sky theory goes right in the toilet on one of those jump.

Especially if your quiet little 8 way turns into an impromptu 60 way. That was fun. :D

-
Jim

I don't know about you, Jimbo, but that's still my lowest pull.

Track, barrel roll...oh shit...3 people right over me

Track, barrel roll...oh shit...2 people right over me

Track...oh shit...here comes the ground....PULL...at 1800'

Balloon jumps are kind of scary because there's no telling where you'll land. On mine, I ended up smack in the middle of a bean field, and the other jumper on the load in a back yard. Just be sure to spot it carefully.

That's the fun in balloon jumps too. In Rantoul, I landed in someone's front yard. Oops...Downwinded it and stood it up. (It may have made the video so watch for it) The alternate landing area was either corn, beans or a cemetary. The cemetary had bad Karma going with it, so I picked the neighborhood.

Michael
-----
~~~Michael

Unless I'm mistaken (and this wouldn't be the first time this has happened), you'll need to have a "B" or better license to jump at Rantoul.

The only requirement is that you be 'B' license qualified. If you're a low time jumper or this is your first time at the WFFC, DEFINATELY head to tent 3 for at least a day. Bill, DJan, Mary, Windsor, etc. will make sure to introduce you to the convention the right way. My major personal rule is know when to say when and have a seat if the winds get squirrely or what not. Be safe where ever you end up.

BTW Canuck, let me know if you're going and we'll save room for you in Kamp Kolorado. I'll be there about a week prior setting gear up this time around.

Bluez~~~
Michael
-----
~~~Michael

Umm, Michael, if I remember right there was a nice little field next to the cemetery;) Hey, I thought I told you to not to try and make it back to the DZ on that jump! And did you listen? NO! All because you wanted to make the WFFC video/DVD. Gee, what some people will do;)

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I'll be there about a week prior setting gear up this time around.

Ugh.......and some how I got talked into going with you and helping in the heat:S I'll be sure to make sure my job is in the AC;)

Oh and about the license thing, I guess you didn't read all of my post.

And did you listen? NO! All because you wanted to make the WFFC video/DVD. Gee, what some people will do;)

Pssst...Hey Mar, I heard from a reliable source that we both made the video with the rodeo dive at least.
-----
~~~Michael

All I can say is "It sounded like a good idea at the time:S" That's the last time I listen to a video guy when he says "Hey, have I got a great idea for a shot". NEVER, NEVER, NEVER AGAIN.