adamUK

Okay riggers: Good sewing machines for Mrs' Christmas pressie.

Mrs AdamUK enjoys quilting, knitting and other sewing-related stuff that I can't even begin to understand. Other than that sewing machines appear to be an object to be coveted and hoarded ;)

It's coming to Christmastime once again and I'm considering getting her a sewing machine. The one my mother gave her is pretty much giving up the ghost. The problem is I know nowt about them. None of the things she does are too heavy duty (mainly quilts I would guess). I think embroidery might be a bonus too.

I reckon I have a budget of $300-500 for one. Any suggestions?

Many thanks all. :)
P.S. posting in here as this is the last place she'll look. :P

If you get her a machine that is a bit more capable than you might consider for just regular clothes, then she can do repairs for you to jumpsuits, gearbags and lots of other such things.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Machines that are good for quilting can be quite different from good rigging machines. Many quilters want pretty stitch patterns and stuff, and use light threads ... most riggers want straight stitch, zig zag, and bar-tacks, using pretty hefty thread at higher tensions. Most rigging machines are specific to one or two stitches, and tend to be fairly single-purpose.
However, if you get her a 20U, she'll probably still like it ... and you can use it for some decent rigging too :)
Brian

I have a Janome Jeans Machine (at the low end of your range), and it goes quite nicely through pretty much anything I throw at it. You have to be careful and use a big enough needle in it for whatever you're sewing, because it throws the thread off the tensioner if it pulls, but otherwise I've been happy with it.

I don't do a lot of fancy stitching -- fix jumpsuits, take in pants, hem stuff, basic quilts, etc. It'll go through light webbing for belts and the like, and it'll sew quite nicely through finger-trapped line.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I've got an excellent condition Pfaff 360 That I'll be putting on ebay this week. I'm guessing your wife may not want used 1960s technology though!
Seriously you need to know what she wants in a machine before you buy one. Probably not the best "surprise" type of gift unless you catch her somehow talking about a model she wants.

Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Advice #1 - let her pick it. Imagine the rig she would pick out for you (assuming she knows only as much about jumping as you know about her sewing).

If you insist on not following advice #1...

I recently got a Brother SE-400 which is in your price range. Only have ~20 hours on it, so can't speak for the expected life. It has handled 'E' thread for light work, has a fairly large stitch pattern selection, has a quilting foot for free-hand work and embroidery hoop attachment. 90% of what I wanted iit for is the embroidery features, but also nice to have a generic, light weight portable machine (compared to my rigging/industrial machines).

Just remember, I tried to tell you #1 first ;)

JW

Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Advice #1 - let her pick it.

Maybe you're right. I'm trying to get some advice on the sly from her sewing group too. I'd hate to spoil the surprise. We've agreed a low budget this year for Christmas present (about $30) since times are tight (and she's just about to lose her job) but I thought I'd kinda lose a decimal point this year... :)

There are two series of Singers made in the late '50s and early '60s. The models with the most features are the 401A and 500A. They are called the Slant-o-matic. All metal construction and a geared drive instead of a belt drive. These are strong machines that last forever with oiling and not using them for hardcore production work. I was able to sew through 6 layers of heavy denim with my 500A. They have lots of built in stitches and have plastic discs you install for many other stitch patters. They can be found for anywhere from $75 to over $400. There are also button hole and walking foot attachments available. I got mine for $75 and it included 5 of the 28 available pattern discs. They both have a drop feed option so you can do freehand embroidery as well.

The 401A and the 500A.

So if you are on a budget, one these two might be an option.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

The 401A and the 500A.

So if you are on a budget, one these two might be an option.

The 401 and the 500 are almost the same machine. The A is meaningless, some people say in means it was made in Anderson SC, but 401 and 401a are the same machine. The 500 series are a styling update only, still the same inside. They look kind of cool, but they have doors with delicate cast aluminum hinges that are prone to breaking and can't be fixed.

A cleaned and maintained 401 is an awesome machine. It's at the height of the Singer model list and was the last great machine before the slide into plastic and cost cutting began in the late 60s.

In Europe you will be more likely to find the German assembled version called the 411g, or in GB possible the Canadian 401J only small differences, basically the same great Singer.

Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

My 500 had seen a lot of use before I bought it, but still runs nice. I made sure to check the hinges before I bought it. My mom had a 401 when I was a kid so that is what I learned on. I just liked the look of the "Rocketeer" design of the 500.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity